Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process thinking of putting this recently purchased tractor back in shape, it was damaged upon delivery. I have mixed feelings on this. Although the damage is not real bad, I guess it's just the feeling I have seeing this very nice tractor damaged this way upon delivery. So far it just sits in the back of one of my sheds not being even looked at by me. Maybe by spring I will get a spark and, try to repair it. Only thought is that it will never be the same again in my mind. Delivery was made by a friend....guess he never operated one like it....900 hours on this machine, was mint. I'm not very happy about this.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,948 Posts
Is it just the hood that's damaged? They are still available.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The body parts are the same as the 425 & 445. Often dealers and other used tractor peddlers will have these in their boneyards.

You could also try a WTB post on Craig's list for a non-running salvage unit.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If its just the sheet metal and that bracket, all of that is available either new or used. It looks like you could even repair and repaint that pretty easy.

It certainly wouldn't stop me from using a nice diesel tractor like that tho.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I would fix, would seem worth it:bigthumb:

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's definitely worth fixing. Really nice tractors especially with AWS. The hood is composite material and pretty pricey. But if you can get it straightened out enough to close, just use it like it is. If you have a body and fender friend, ask them what could be done with it. The hood is identical to 425 and 445 tractors. If you look long enough and wide enough you will occasionally see a parts tractor for sale.

·
Premium Member
8,795 Posts
It's definitely worth fixing. Really nice tractors especially with AWS. The hood is composite material and pretty pricey. But if you can get it straightened out enough to close, just use it like it is. If you have a body and fender friend, ask them what could be done with it. The hood is identical to 425 and 445 tractors. If you look long enough and wide enough you will occasionally see a parts tractor for sale.
A local body shop legend, who happened to be a Deere tractor enthusiast, personally made the repair of my 455 hood his project. I had broken the mounting points on the hood when the snow plow failed to trip because the "J bolts" on the plow accidentally re-seated and locked the plow after a previous plow trip, when the mold board slammed back up under spring tension. The bolts snapped into the locking holes and I didn't notice it. Tough lesson learned.

Expensive lesson learned also, as it broke the hood, both side panels when my knees rammed into the rear edge of the hood and side panels and sheared off every mounting position on both. I also broke my thumb which was on the steering wheel and when my chest struck the steering wheel, I cracked the cross bars in the steering wheel with the force. The amazing thing was I had only moved forward less than 15 feet from a stop when this happened. The stop was instant and violent for as low as the speed of the tractor was.

Besides the $400 for the hood and about the same for the side panels with new decals, I thought I would attempt to have them professionally repaired. When the man who owned the very successful body shop and I knew him from working on other projects, saw the hood, he was eager to attempt to re-bond the mounting points on the inside of the hood. He did a beautiful job bonding in replacement hardware to secure the hood as it was OEM. He painted the inside of the hood after his repairs and then buffed the exterior of the hood. It looked better than new when he was done. He also repaired the side panel mounting points.

The side panels held up over the years but the hood mounting points failed and the bonding broke from the vibration. After that, I removed the mounting points which had been bonded in place and drilled the hood and bought chrome carriage bolts and installed them with the heads on top of the hood. Thats been how it has been the last 10 years and it works fine. Of course, they had to be chrome as regular carriage bolts would look like a repair where the chrome carriage bolts actually looked Ok on the hood. I had several instances before I drilled the hood where I would be plowing or blowing snow head on into the wind and the wind would lift the leading edge of the hood and it was only a matter of time before it would fly off and be destroyed.

I even use the front two carriage bolts to hold a headlight plow bar with LED lights on it, for when using the plow or blower. I remove the light bar in the spring and hang the light bar on the wall until next winter. It dramatically improved the lights out front by raising them about 10" above the hood and using the LED lights. The mounting bracket for the lights is just aluminum strap stock with two 90 degree bends to create the vertical supports and two more 90 degree bends to use as the mounting points on the hood bolts, very simple but effective. Also light weight on the hood and mounting bolts.
-

·
Premium Member
7,692 Posts
I would fix it. Diesel AWS from that era are getting hard to find.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Maybe you should sell it to some one like me and take your mind off the whole thing:lol::lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
FIX IT! I had the inside stand off’s of the hood break on my 425. Go to the hardware store and get rubber stand off’s the same size. 3/4”-1” tall and some stainless hardware. Rubber washers and cap screws on the outside. Not had an issue in 3 years. Maybe a 20$ fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts