Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just picked up a sweet 455 with all wheel steer. I have a few questions for you experts out there. The tractor is near mint but the steering is a little bit loose, what can I do if anything to tighten it up a bit? Also it has the smaller tires on the front and rear, is this an AWS thing or can I put the larger front and rear wheels on it?

Thanks, Junkman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,506 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
I had a X495 AWS. It had a much different seat if the pants feel than a front wheel steer. I would look for any worn linkage, but I would bet it is going to just feel weird for a while.

The AWS had a different offset to the rear wheels, but I an not sure if the bigger tires will clear through the range of steering.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I own an operate several pieces of Ag equipment that are AWS so I am familiar with how it should feel. It's just a little loosey-goosey. I will check out the link Kenny!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had a 455 AWS for a while, I sold it to a friend who still has it. It has over 2000 hours on it and the steering was really loose. I replaced all of the steering linkage rod ends. It's really pricey if you use JD parts, but most of them can be replaced with standard spherical rod ends from any industrial bearing supplier for a fraction of the cost. I also found the rear wheel hub bearings to be loose. I replaced them and they were still loose, so it is normal to have some play in those. Also check the bellcrank on the front axle, if there is any up/down movement in the central pivot it will translate to loose steering. I needed to add some shims there to take out the slop.

As for the tires, I installed Carlisle Multi Trac 26x10.50-12 and 18x7.00-8 on it. They are OEM X724 sizes, they clear the 60" deck with plenty of room to spare and they add some extra ground clearance for the steering linkage and tall deck. The 26x10.50-12 are expensive tires, as far as I can tell they are made specifically for JD. Earlier this summer one developed a large bubble in the sidewall. He called Carlisle, they were out of stock but they told him to buy a replacement and they sent him a check for it. The other tire just blew out this week and they sent him a replacement at no charge.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks interceptor, it looks as if most of my play is up and down on the bell crank. What did you use for shims?

·
Administrator
20,466 Posts
There should be some shims in between the bearings. Take them out a few at a time, put them under the nut, and retighten. Keep doing this until the play is removed. It's a greasy job, but well wort the effort.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks diesel shadow, I'm on it!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found 75% of my problem, the cotter pin on the nut for the front bell crank broke and the nut backed off, I was able to tighten it 6 full revolutions and that took a lot of play out of the steering. It does still wonder some. I turned the wife loose on it today for the first time....it was CLASSIC! Everytime she touched the wheel she was ALL OVER THE PLACE!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Found 75% of my problem, the cotter pin on the nut for the front bell crank broke and the nut backed off, I was able to tighten it 6 full revolutions and that took a lot of play out of the steering. It does still wonder some. I turned the wife loose on it today for the first time....it was CLASSIC! Everytime she touched the wheel she was ALL OVER THE PLACE!

gotta have her do it again tomorrow and you taking a video, we all enjoy a good laugh especially when it's at someone else...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh trust me......I have a video.....she actually stopped dead in her tracks when she noticed me videoing her. Said she would NEVER help me mow again if I showed it to anyone.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Oh trust me......I have a video.....she actually stopped dead in her tracks when she noticed me videoing her. Said she would NEVER help me mow again if I showed it to anyone.

well hopefully she doesn't get on this site:dance::flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not going there, in order to get some "action" I was forced to delete it the other night

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently bought a 2001 455 AWS. About 1600 hours on it.
Steering was pretty loose.
Replaced the main steering rod that connects the front to rear as well as the short pivot rod on the rear and eliminated 80% of the looseness.
Also tightened the front bellcrank as mentioned. Much better, but still not as tight as a two wheel steer. Rear bellcrank needs adjusted too, but I couldn't get the dust cap off. It'll mow a straight line across the yard now, but still get's squirrely at full speed on concrete. I think that's just part of being AWS.

As for tires, I removed the front narrow rims and found a set of the wider rims for the front on Ebay. Installed 18x8.50-8 on the front with the 8x6.5 rims. They fit fine, but have to jack up the front to remove the mower deck. I used the rear AWS rims and installed 26x12-12 Carlisle Field Trax with John Deere 1 inch spacers. No rub and fit with plenty of room. This is with the 60 inch deck. Can't speak for the smaller decks.

Carlisle also makes the All Trail and Multi Trac in a 25x11-12 that is a bit more narrow. I believe they would fit without wheel spacers. The extra ground clearance is great with the taller tires and I can also mow at a higher height now which is great. With the shorter 23 inch tires and the deck all the way up, it was still only cutting about 2.5 inches in length. Now I could probably cut at nearly 4 inches or longer if I needed to. :thumbup1gif:

Taller tires are a must.

Just an FYI...The 26x12-12 tires are actually only 25 inches tall and 12 inches wide at the sidewalls mounted on the AWS rims. I don't know why they call them 26 tires? 25x12 would be more accurate.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks green diesel! That looks MUCH better with bigger rubber!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you have a part number for the spacers?

·
Registered
8,467 Posts

Explain to her that you were not laughing at her, tell her you were laughing at the TRACTOR and how it looked "Despite her incredibly effecient and talented driving efforts".

Doubt it will work, but why not try?:thumbup1gif:

Depending upon her response and the items within her immediate grasp, you may need to be prepared to duck very quickly......:laugh:

·
Registered
8,467 Posts
As for tires, I removed the front narrow rims and found a set of the wider rims for the front on Ebay. Installed 18x8.50-8 on the front with the 8x6.5 rims. They fit fine, but have to jack up the front to remove the mower deck.
That is what happens on the 2 wheel steer 455 with the 60" deck as well. But it does make the entire deck changing process so much easier, once it is up about 6 inches or so.......

Very nice looking tractor.......Those tires look much better on the tractor. The tires on any of the AWS tractors from the factory look very odd to me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts