Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 455 yesterday with 470 hrs on it and a 60" deck. It says "COMMERCIAL" across the back of the seat pan in about 2-2.5" block lettering, it looks original to the factory paint. Has anybody heard of this before? It was sitting a few years and was then used sparingly this past summer. It looks like a heluva lawnmower compared to what you can buy for $3000 today. There are 4 hyd. ports in the front of left foot and two in the rear, no steering brakes that I can see, just one large pedal on right above the forward and reverse pads. Any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Administrator
17,506 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
You did get a great machine! I have a 445 I purchased new in '98 I think. I have around 318 hours on it now. I purchased it with the 60" deck, the 8HD wagon, and the front blade with power angle. Three years or so after that I took the front blade off and replaced it with a snow thrower.

It was my first brand new rider. I had a used 112 that I wish I kept but I had no place to store it at the time. The 445 is an awesome piece of machinery and will last for years with little TLC. My 445 will always be around Lord willing. It is special to me.

Enjoy your machine and post pics. Never heard of the 'commercial' thing on the seat but that don't mean much coming from me.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No pics yet, I am picking it up tomorrow. I would say the mower deck looks more heavy duty than your though. It has bracing welded across the front and metal shrouds on top instead of plastic. The adjusting wheels are very heavy duty, and worn as well. You were very fortunate to have two qualified friends with time on their hands to do all that work. I hope I can get this ready with my limited shop space for the spring mowing season, my wife likes to do the mowing around here and with this I might not ever get a chance!I will try and get some pictures soon.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Deere didn't make a "commercial" version of the 4X5 series. More than likely, it was put on there by an owner at one time. I haven't heard of a "Commercial" 455 myself.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Some 455 data from TractorData.com TractorData.com John Deere 455 tractor information

I scanned it quick and didn't find any reference to "commercial". Probably a "customization" by owner as has been said. (Hey, I'd do it myself to one up my neighbor!:laugh:)

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Some 455 data from TractorData.com TractorData.com John Deere 455 tractor information

I scanned it quick and didn't find any reference to "commercial". Probably a "customization" by owner as has been said. (Hey, I'd do it myself to one up my neighbor!:laugh:)
I wouldn't use tractordata.com since that site isn't that accurate. I would check other references instead. In my experience I've seen too many false info on tractordata.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The 455's by design are commercial quality and were/are used by many professional mower operators. But, I've never seen one with that wording on them. Really doesn't matter though. It is one of the best tractors you could own. It sounds like it has the 60 inch deck. There were 3 decks available: 48, 54, and 60. The 60 was a completely different design and quite heavy duty. The hours you listed are very low. You can easily get 2000 hours out of one with minimal repair costs. The thing that seems to wear the most on these is the steering column (excessive play). So check that out. It's not too expensive to fix yourself, but you just about have to disassemble the whole tractor to do it. These tractors are simple to work on and extremely well designed for routine maintenance and implement attach/detach. You will be very pleased with it.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I wouldn't use tractordata.com since that site isn't that accurate. I would check other references instead. In my experience I've seen too many false info on tractordata.
It was the only quick place I could think of to look to help the OP. How about some other reference ideas I can replace TractorData.com with in my computer?

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
My guess is that the previous owner(s) added the "COMMERCIAL" decal as a way to get neighbors to quit pestering them to mow their lawns for free. Think of it as the reverse of the "NOT FOR HIRE" decals one sees on some trucks, namely toy haulers for those that can afford them.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Haha, I guess I need to check my eyesight. I was a little puzzled by your response how your deck is heavier than mine. Then I realized you purchased a 455. That is the diesel variation of my tractor. As I recall when I purchased my 445, that is the only difference in the two machines, that being the diesel power plant. All the dimensions, mowing decks, and attachments are the same (although it does matter if you have 2 wheel steer or 4 wheel steer for some). The 425/445/455 machines all could be outfitted with the 60 Commercial deck. Like you stated, they all have the heavy round bar welded to the leading edge of the deck. And like you said, the I do have plastic shields over the belt on the deck. Maybe in later production years they made a steel belt cover or it was custom made. They all are shaft driven from the rear axle.

If you never mowed your yard with a 60 inch deck, your in for a treat. While covering a large area in one bite is true, the deck is not forgiving. If you have slight high spots in your yard that deck will scalp until they are no more. You also must keep atop of the mowing too. That is a lot of grass and it will leave furrows. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I refuse to remove or prop open the discharge chute. I have seen the damage that a baseball, rock, golf ball, etc can do when hit by the mower. I rather use my backpack blower than hurt someone or damage something.

The diesel price difference seems like it was around another $3,000.00. The dealer I purchased mine from recommended the gas machine for my needs. I often wish I did spurge for it because the low end torque and the fuel economy is like the machine itself, awesome. I'm now glad I do not have the diesel because my 445 is in basic retirement for now and the one thing I know from driving diesels trucks to work the last 15 years is they like to work and the harder the better.

You have a tough machine and you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
since you feel tractor data.com is not that accurate , could you share with us members what other references you use so we can use them also. Least wise I assume you have other references to suggest
Thanks

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would have to say Tractordata is the first place I go to learn what I can about a model so I am all ears on this as well. The one thing they seem to consistently lack is the original price range which can be helpful to establish a used value, but I have always assumed the available info is true so please enlighten us as to a better resource.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
The problem with tractordata is misinformation. And since some, even here on this site, think it's correct and up to date, there lies the problem with it. It isn't 100% accurate. I have found too many inaccuracies to trust it as the Bible. For older L&G I go to WFM, which gives accurate model info, serial numbers, years produce, attachments, etc. Also, we have serial number charts in our technical library that give year to serial number information on all John Deere L&G tractors since 1963. Your JD dealer is a good source for information, so are JD Parts, and the Deere website itself. I research extensively myself on everything I post about, and if I don't I'll let it be known. Research is the key, and if you do use tractordata, remember to double check the information and confirm it's correct before assuming it is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Haha, I guess I need to check my eyesight. I was a little puzzled by your response how your deck is heavier than mine. Then I realized you purchased a 455. That is the diesel variation of my tractor. As I recall when I purchased my 445, that is the only difference in the two machines, that being the diesel power plant. All the dimensions, mowing decks, and attachments are the same (although it does matter if you have 2 wheel steer or 4 wheel steer for some). The 425/445/455 machines all could be outfitted with the 60 Commercial deck. Like you stated, they all have the heavy round bar welded to the leading edge of the deck. And like you said, the I do have plastic shields over the belt on the deck. Maybe in later production years they made a steel belt cover or it was custom made. They all are shaft driven from the rear axle.

If you never mowed your yard with a 60 inch deck, your in for a treat. While covering a large area in one bite is true, the deck is not forgiving. If you have slight high spots in your yard that deck will scalp until they are no more. You also must keep atop of the mowing too. That is a lot of grass and it will leave furrows. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I refuse to remove or prop open the discharge chute. I have seen the damage that a baseball, rock, golf ball, etc can do when hit by the mower. I rather use my backpack blower than hurt someone or damage something.

The diesel price difference seems like it was around another $3,000.00. The dealer I purchased mine from recommended the gas machine for my needs. I often wish I did spurge for it because the low end torque and the fuel economy is like the machine itself, awesome. I'm now glad I do not have the diesel because my 445 is in basic retirement for now and the one thing I know from driving diesels trucks to work the last 15 years is they like to work and the harder the better.

You have a tough machine and you will not be disappointed.
Not sure I agree with all of this. My 455 has the 60 inch commercial deck. It mows like a dream. Of course you have to set it up right and you can't mow as short as a putting range. I like my grass cut about 3 inches or longer. With the adjustable height set and the anti-scalp wheels set up correctly, it does not scalp at all. Now if I try to cut grass under 2 inches, yes it will scalp, but I believe that is the result of a 5 foot wide deck. As for cutting short, IMO it has too much power. It will pull the grass out by the root if you drop it all the way down.

As for the steel belt shields, mine also has those. They are factory. Not sure what years used them.

Deck also weighs about 200 pounds, compared to half that for the other available decks.

Also with the diesel, I can mow about any length of grass that I want without engine bog and it cuts clean, even, and spreads the clippings out evenly a good 6 to 8 feet. I've had a half dozen mowers, and this thing is better than any of them, excluding the ability to mow real short which I wouldn't do anyway.

I did buy a set of Oregon Gator Blades for it. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not sure I agree with all of this. My 455 has the 60 inch commercial deck. It mows like a dream. Of course you have to set it up right and you can't mow as short as a putting range. I like my grass cut about 3 inches or longer. With the adjustable height set and the anti-scalp wheels set up correctly, it does not scalp at all. Now if I try to cut grass under 2 inches, yes it will scalp, but I believe that is the result of a 5 foot wide deck. As for cutting short, IMO it has too much power. It will pull the grass out by the root if you drop it all the way down.

As for the steel belt shields, mine also has those. They are factory. Not sure what years used them.

Deck also weighs about 200 pounds, compared to half that for the other available decks.

Also with the diesel, I can mow about any length of grass that I want without engine bog and it cuts clean, even, and spreads the clippings out evenly a good 6 to 8 feet. I've had a half dozen mowers, and this thing is better than any of them, excluding the ability to mow real short which I wouldn't do anyway.

I did buy a set of Oregon Gator Blades for it. Highly recommended.

Not saying this is correct, but my JD data book shows for the 4x5 series tractors , 60" deck @ 300 lbs, 54" deck @185 lbs, 48"deck @ 175 lbs

·
Registered
359 Posts
You are pretty close Mr. Badger!

The Operators Manual Supplied with my 445 for the 60" Mid Mount Mower (425/445/455 L & G Tractors) Serial Numbers 060001-

List the total weight of the the mower deck at 302 lbs. The day I lifted it up to store it upright and it got away from me, I can tell you it felt like 3,002 lbs! Good news is my toe nail grew back and the town hired me to be the back up in case the tornado siren fails.

·
Corndog Hater
11,472 Posts
You are pretty close Mr. Badger!

The Operators Manual Supplied with my 445 for the 60" Mid Mount Mower (425/445/455 L & G Tractors) Serial Numbers 060001-

List the total weight of the the mower deck at 302 lbs. The day I lifted it up to store it upright and it got away from me, I can tell you it felt like 3,002 lbs! Good news is my toe nail grew back and the town hired me to be the back up in case the tornado siren fails.
Ouch!!!! Not sure I can like that comment!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts