Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a new to me 455 tractor with a 54" deck. Absolutly love the tractor and the sound of that diesel. This past weekend I was mowing the lawn and the deck disengaged a couple of times. Is it time for a new PTO switch or is there something else that would cause the deck to cut out? Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Seat switch.

Not sure if yours is normally open or normally closed. But I would try jumping it across (or leaving it open) to test.

Could also be relay or timer module but I would start with the easy stuff first.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Seat switch would be my guess also.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Poncho,

If the PTO dash light stays on, the switch is OK. If the switch were bad, it would also release the fuel solenoid and kill the engine. Both are fed off the same switch contact.

If the seat switch was bad, it would also release the fuel solenoid and kill the engine.

What is the serial number of the 455? There are two schematics depending on the serial number.

GotDeeres

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Poncho,

If the PTO dash light stays on, the switch is OK. If the switch were bad, it would also release the fuel solenoid and kill the engine. Both are fed off the same switch contact.

If the seat switch was bad, it would also release the fuel solenoid and kill the engine.

What is the serial number of the 455? There are two schematics depending on the serial number.

GotDeeres
Hi everyone and thanks for the responses so far. The engine never skipped a beat when the deck disengaged, if I cycled the PTO switch a few times I could get the deck to re-engage again. I wanna say the PTO dash light went out when the deck disengaged, but I gotta confirm that. Seat switch seems to be working.....if I get up off the seat the engine shuts down.

GotDeeres, the serial number is: MOO455CO41279. Thanks again ALL

·
Registered
84 Posts
Whoops!! If the PTO solenoid loses power, the deck will stop, but it will not kill the engine. I was looking at the wrong switch contacts and attempting to trace the lines on the schematic. Should have got my glasses.

GotDeeres

1 - 7 of 7 Posts