Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 455 is getting hot under normal use. It got hot (close to the red zone) this summer when it was hot out about 45 min into mowing the yard. And today it is about 68 fahrenheit and it did it again and it smelled hot, I thought the mower deck belt was slipping. The radiator screen is clean and the radiator itself is clean on the outside as well. The anti freeze is bright green and 2 years old.The overflow tank and radiator cap seem to be working properly. It only has about 540 hrs, I don't think it needs flushing. My first thought was a sticking thermostat. Has anybody had a similar problem or got any brilliant ideas.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Our 455 is getting hot under normal use. It got hot (close to the red zone) this summer when it was hot out about 45 min into mowing the yard. And today it is about 68 fahrenheit and it did it again and it smelled hot, I thought the mower deck belt was slipping. The radiator screen is clean and the radiator itself is clean on the outside as well. The anti freeze is bright green and 2 years old.The overflow tank and radiator cap seem to be working properly. It only has about 540 hrs, I don't think it needs flushing. My first thought was a sticking thermostat. Has anybody had a similar problem or got any brilliant ideas.
A sticking thermastat will definitely cause this. You can pop it out and if its not stuck open you can boil it to see if it opens. If its been awhile, id say replace it. The other thing is to make sure its pressurizing. A water pump on the way out or another small leak can keep it from pressurizing which will lower the boiling point and cause an overheat condition. Another thing to check is the cooling fan hub. Ive seen one slip on the hub and not cool properly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts