Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - first post here. I'm a young apple grower - have owned my orchard for 4 years after quiting my job in the auto service industry - got tired of working for the man. Have a JD 455 (2300 hours) and a 6200 (10800 hours).

I have a John Deere 455 - 2300 hours. Went to mow today and it shut off as soon as I pulled the PTO switch. Found the blown fuse, found a short in the wiring harness to the PTO solenoid. Repaired the short and installed a new fuse, runs great. Start to mow and after it warms up - 5-10 minutes, it loses power and almost stalls. Blows black smoke as it tries to catch up. Disengage the PTO and it will come back to life but then when I try to move forward, it lugs again. I've found that with PTO engaged or disengaged, it will lug and almost stall under a heavy load (My test is going up a steep hill) under full or part throttle. Then when I turn and come down the hill, it runs OK. As soon as I start to move forward it lugs.

Every winter I change engine oil, oil filter, air filters, fuel filter and grease my fittings. Every other year I change hydro oil. All with JD parts/oils. Hydro oil is clean and full right now. Fuel filter looks clean, fuel is full, air filters are clean. This happens with the PTO engaged or disengaged. Help?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Your post is in the wrong section. You'll likely receive a better response in the proper section. Perhaps a moderator can correct this.

I'd start by checking fuel pressure as your symptoms are somewhat indicative of a fuel starvation issue. If your PTO wiring was damaged, could the wiring for the fuel pump also be damaged resulting in a voltage drop to the pump and, in turn, low volume/pressure? There is also a pickup filter before the fuel pump in the tank. Could it be restricted? Check the fuel solenoid and its linkage to verify it is fully releasing.

Do you have the service manual? If not, you can download it here:

John Deere 425, 445 and 455 Technical Manual - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
You say the fuel tank is full and the stumbling starts after 5-10min... Leads me to fuel problem also, but FIRST check that the vent in the fuel cap is unobstructed. Plugged vent + 10 minutes + load sounds just like the right amount of time and the conditions for a stopped up vent.

Anyway, the cap vent is always the place to start diagnosing both diesel and gas engines running in dusty conditions. (And there's no expensive parts to buy if that is the problem.):laugh:

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts