Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 455 with a 60in mower deck. It is leaking fluid from the pto shaft that drives the deck.
I dropped the deck, wiped it off, and it is a slow drip out of that seal.
My questions are,
1. Is the seal, M806040 the correct seal? The model is M00455C020853
2. It appears that the seal presses in from the outside. Is this correct, or does the unit have to be disassembled?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Tagging along to this thread.

My 955....same issue.
Was told the seal goes in from the inside of case and entire trans needs removed to access all the bolts to get the front case off. In my situation ...oil is cheap enough still to just deal with the leak. Hopefully your machine was designed differently and its an easy fix. I've never crawled around or under a 455. I don't think I've ever seen one besides a few pictures on this site. Good luck with this repair. Perhaps someone can find the pics from Manuel to help explain the fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TheDuke, thanks for your input!!

Digging around, I found this post. New to me 455

In it, members Buckeye 455, and SulleyBear seem to say that the seal for the pto is external.....
I picked one up at the dealership and will try to find out tomorrow.
Ill post back as to what I find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wanted to let everyone know, got the seal installled.
The old one popped out and the new one went in with the help of a deep well socket!!
below are some pictures.

This is a picture of the old seal, next is the old and new seal side by side, then the seal removed, then seal installed.
With the deck off, its a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Did you need to protect the seal lip by wrapping tape over the splines?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts