Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fired up the 455 today to mow, backed it out of the shed then tried to move forward and nothing... no movement, no hydraulics for raise/lower deck or power steering. It made no sound or gave any clues. No leaks and I am pretty sure its fluid level is ok. Fluid is JD Hygard and JD filters with maybe 150 hrs since last change.

Any ideas where to look first?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Did you make sure the drive shaft is connected to hydro? It sounds like the pump is not turning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you make sure the drive shaft is connected to hydro? It sounds like the pump is not turning.

Have not checked it yet but that is one of the first things I was going to look at. The engine runs fine and has no load on it, seems like it could be the shaft/pump. I have not had it stripped down in a couple of years. Isnt there a soft coupling at one end? Cannot remember how it's assembled.

At work now and hoping to jump into it when I get back home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Allrighty.... turns out the engine to hydro drive shaft is NOT turning when the engine runs therefore no hydraulics. Looks like the pulley on the crankshaft is loose, the alt/water pump belt is not moving either.

Any ideas what would cause this? Not sure how the lower crankshaft pulley is affixed to the crank.

Thanks!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Look at the drive shaft adapter/isolator that bolts it to the pulley, is it all together? (bolts there, broken off, or missing). There is one central bolt/washer that hold pulley onto crank/flywheel.

look at the JD parts site, you will need to look at various sections to piece it together in your mind and printouts for your notes to help you figure out what is broken and needs fixing. Plus the parts if needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look at the drive shaft adapter/isolator that bolts it to the pulley, is it all together? (bolts there, broken off, or missing). There is one central bolt/washer that hold pulley onto crank/flywheel.

look at the JD parts site, you will need to look at various sections to piece it together in your mind and printouts for your notes to help you figure out what is broken and needs fixing. Plus the parts if needed.

Yeah the driveshaft adaptor/isolator is intact and connected. Its definitely the pulley itself. Looks like I need to pull the seat pan off and check it out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had the same problem with one of my 455s. The pulley is a tapered fit to the driveshaft. There is no keyway or spline. The bolt got loose and the pulley would just spin. You just need to disconnect the driveshaft from the isolator. Then remove the isolator and tighten the bolt. Really tighten it good!

George of Buford

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the same problem with one of my 455s. The pulley is a tapered fit to the driveshaft. There is no keyway or spline. The bolt got loose and the pulley would just spin. You just need to disconnect the driveshaft from the isolator. Then remove the isolator and tighten the bolt. Really tighten it good!

George of Buford
Sounds simple enough. I plan on tackling this over the weekend and will also clean the threads and apply locktite to the bolt. I am hoping the vibrations of the yanmar as well as heat cycles simply vibrated the bolt loose. I plan on swapping the fan belt at the same time as well... not sure when that was last done. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lock-Tite is my friend.

Be sure to compare the JD new belt to your existing one. There was a substitution part with the same number that was a wider width belt that did not fit. B width compared to an A width. JD now has a substitute A-15360 that is a standard belt. Go to NAPA and get that belt. Just my opinion.

George of Buford

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Here is the part schematic of that area where the coupling is on the crankshaft.

This issue is the first time i have heard of the coupling being a problem and I have had a 455 since 1996 and it has 3,000 plus hours on it......be curious to see what you find.

If you don't mind, take some pictures of the coupling when you get to it. I would think you could get to it under the tractor, verses pulling off the operator platform as that coupling is what you have to separate the change the fan belt..........

It really shouldn't be a huge project, unless it broke something else, which seems unlikely......Eager to hear what you find..........

John Deere Parts Catalog

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just found an old belt in my shop which was a 15360. I had wrote that it was too tight. Use a 15370 which is 1" longer.

I have owned six 455's and only had one with this slipping pulley.

George of Buford

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just found an old belt in my shop which was a 15360. I had wrote that it was too tight. Use a 15370 which is 1" longer.

I have owned six 455's and only had one with this slipping pulley.

George of Buford

Hey George,
Did yours ever slip again once you tightened it up? Any idea why yours loosened up?

Repaired mine the other week and sure enough the bolt had backed out of the crank. Hit it with some brake clean and wiped down the threads, applied locktite and torqued it to specs. Also got the 15360 belt, was a bit snug but I got it.

Anyhu its back together and running fine. Hope that bolt stays put!

Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
No, it never slipped again. This happened after I removed the drive shaft to install new bearings. I guess getting the driveshaft loose from the isolator was what caused the problem. :think:

George of Buford

1 - 17 of 17 Posts