Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm not sure if I'm in the right section, I'm a new member.
I've got a John Deere 455 that after it has been running for a while loses power - the temperature reads normal but virtually no power. I'm thinking fuel starvation but it has just been serviced. Am I right in thinking they have two fuel filters, and maybe one was missed? Or any other suggestions?
Thanks
David

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
How many hours are on the machine? How old is the diesel you are running? Do you run an additive in your fuel?

Does the machine blow black smoke when its down on power? I am unsure on how many filters it has, but on the slightly larger tractors, there are 2. One in a clear bowl and one metal spin on.

If you turn the tractor off and let it sit 5 minutes, does it still have good power and then it slowly go away?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many hours are on the machine? How old is the diesel you are running? Do you run an additive in your fuel?

Does the machine blow black smoke when its down on power? I am unsure on how many filters it has, but on the slightly larger tractors, there are 2. One in a clear bowl and one metal spin on.

If you turn the tractor off and let it sit 5 minutes, does it still have good power and then it slowly go away?
Hi Brian,
1700 hours and the diesel is fresh, no I don't run an additive. There is no noticable blow back when it looses power. Up until more recently, if I turned it off and let it sit for a while and then started it up it would be fine, but more recently the power loss is more frequent almost to the point now where it us unusable.
Regards
David

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
What year is it or what is the serial number? we can look up the manual online and find out where the primary filter is and get you apart number so you can change it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi... as is being suggested and from the info you are giving this sounds like a fuel delivery problem.
If you haven't yet, find and replace your fuel filter(s). If there is a strainer or other device in your tank check and clean it. You may want to replace the fuel lines. This is also a good time to inspect the inside of your fuel tank for sludge or any other deposits (on the 430's the in tank section of fuel line is notorious for rotting off). You will also want to check your fuel pump for adequate flow, there will be a rating of (x) ozs or qts /min. You can use this test to drain the tank.
Hmm.. just re-reading your original post, were you provided with a list of what was replaced or done while your machine was serviced?

BTW Brian love those TDI's!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll get the serial number in the morning.
The fuel filter was changed in the service - my guess is this was the one in the chamber and probably not the mesh-bag in the tank. My local JD dealer has the mesh filter in stock so I will take the tank off, clean it out and check that filter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help - I think I have sorted the problem! At the weekend, I removed the fuel tank and took the pump out. The tea-bag filter on the pump inlet was very dirty, and there was some muck in the bottom of the tank. Cleaned out the tank, cleaned the fuel lines to the filter bowl under the bonnet and put a new filter in the bowl. New filter on the pump inlet. Refitted everything. Today it has been cutting tall grass in paddocks and has not missed a beat, so I'm thinking problem fixed!

:yahoo:

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Excellent. I am unsure of the brands of diesel additives you have over the pond, but it might be smart to run some to clean out the fuel system and injectors now that you know the tank is clean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There was dirt and grit in hte bottom of the tank as well.
Good idea, I'll try some additives to the diesel too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts