Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my aunt was mowing with our 455 and suddenly, out of nowhere, it just blows out all of its fluid and loses steering. All the O rings in the steering column and right side steering cylinder blew out. It never leaked before, but now the O rings are gushing fluid so bad it doesn't steer at all. How hard are they to fix? We got an X485 to replace it for now but we really need to get the 455 back up.

·
Registered
8,470 Posts
The big part of the job is getting the column out, and reinstalled. The rebuild is the easy part.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The big part of the job is getting the column out, and reinstalled. The rebuild is the easy part.
Oh, no, it wasn't the column O rings, it was the O rings that are in the lines that attach to the column. They just disintegrated, along with the steering cylinder ones. Guess we'll need to order a ton of O-rings.

·
Registered
8,470 Posts
If multiple o rings failed I would bet the root cause is elsewhere in the hydraulic system causing pressure to spike.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Make sure you get the correct material for the o-rings! You can get o-rings at hardware stores, box stores and other stores and 9 times out of 10 they're for water. They'll work for maybe a year and then turn to bubble gum! Do it once and do it right. Bob

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If multiple o rings failed I would bet the root cause is elsewhere in the hydraulic system causing pressure to spike.
They blew out right as she lifted the deck, the 3 O-rings are pretty disintegrated.

Make sure you get the correct material for the o-rings! You can get o-rings at hardware stores, box stores and other stores and 9 times out of 10 they're for water. They'll work for maybe a year and then turn to bubble gum! Do it once and do it right. Bob
I'll be sure to look our for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts