Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking on ebay, I see the service manual (down load) for about $8.00 and the Book for $42.00
Would really like to get something to help me with repairs and service.
Would love to hear what others would suggest.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The manual is invaluable for any piece of equipment and these tractors in particular. i have both the original paper manual I got with my 445 when I purchased it in 1994 and a PDF I found on line for free. Unfortunately it is to big to attach as an e-mail attachment and can only be uploaded to a Google Drive/One Drive or Drop Box type of folder.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone for your input!!
Below are the links I was talking about.

And the book

·
RIP
1,225 Posts
I bought a used manual on Ebay for about $40. it's factory, got grease and dirt on some of the pages and dog eared here and there, paid for it self quickly. I have been tempted to buy things from these home publishing houses but wouldn't want my work to be similarly mistreated so I go where it came from, same with cd's and movies.

Reactions: Rob R

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joe, I just heard from one of the administrators..... and this was his reply. (Your post count doesn’t allow you yet to work the Conversation system yet. Get a few more posts in and you’ll be all set. )
I will reply as soon as possible!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought a used manual on Ebay for about $40. it's factory, got grease and dirt on some of the pages and dog eared here and there, paid for it self quickly. I have been tempted to buy things from these home publishing houses but wouldn't want my work to be similarly mistreated so I go where it came from, same with cd's and movies.

That all sounds great. And I do understand your position, even though, I dont completely agree with you.
1. Under copyright laws, when you purchase a published book, CD etc. it is for your personal use only. (unless you pay for additional license etc.) Your not supposed to resell or purchase used........
2. If a company would sell the manuals. (CD or PAPER) at a reasonable rate, especially for their older equipment, there would not be near the market in place for hacked copies.....

Sad to say, though, the way the markets are going, its going to get worse. We purchased a new Honda Passport.... No factory service manuals available to buy. Instead, you can pay an annual subscription of $300.00 to view online.
It seems some of these companies do not want us working on our own vehicles.
Just my opinion

·
Registered
695 Posts
That all sounds great. And I do understand your position, even though, I dont completely agree with you.
1. Under copyright laws, when you purchase a published book, CD etc. it is for your personal use only. (unless you pay for additional license etc.) Your not supposed to resell or purchase used........
2. If a company would sell the manuals. (CD or PAPER) at a reasonable rate, especially for their older equipment, there would not be near the market in place for hacked copies.....

Sad to say, though, the way the markets are going, its going to get worse. We purchased a new Honda Passport.... No factory service manuals available to buy. Instead, you can pay an annual subscription of $300.00 to view online.
It seems some of these companies do not want us working on our own vehicles.
Just my opinion
If you want to buy operators and service manuals from Deere directly, you can use the link coaltrain provided.

At the link, type in 455 in the box and then scroll down to the 455 tractors and select the link for your serial number.
Operators manuals can be downloaded free at the Deere link.

You can get paper or download the pdf or order the cd for service (Technical Manuals) manuals.

Parts book is live online so no need for a paper copy.

I'm a fan of paper or pdf TM's since they are onetime purchase, but fwiw, the advantage of a subscription version is that the version being looked at can always include the latest updates.

Shop rates as high as they are most places today, it doesn't take long to pay for.
Kinda like adding 'special' tools to the collection when necessary.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you intend to work on this stuff yourself, get the service manual. I've been downloading the cheap manuals for year on several different brands, JD, Polaris, Bobcat and Kolher to name a few, all were between $10 and $35 and worked out great, be nice to have a cheap laptop in the shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The manual is invaluable for any piece of equipment and these tractors in particular. i have both the original paper manual I got with my 445 when I purchased it in 1994 and a PDF I found on line for free. Unfortunately it is to big to attach as an e-mail attachment and can only be uploaded to a Google Drive/One Drive or Drop Box type of folder.
Any chance you would share the PDF? Just acquired a JD 455 but needs some help, and a manual would be of use to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.