Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying, This is my first real Tractor. I have had a couple riding mowers (cub cadets) but nothing with hydraulics.
So a lot of this is new to me......
I have started looking for a used snow blade. In addition to the blade, I think I will need a Quick Hitch. Of course I will need chains, and probably wheel weights...
Is there anything else I would need to hook it up to a 455? There are 4 couplings below the left foot rest on my tractor....

Last, what is a fair price to pay for a quick hitch and blade?

Im in Northern Virginia.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
You know what you need. The hitch must be for a 425/445 or 455, no others will work.

With your location fair price is probably $1300 at you dealer.

Reactions: 93 ragtop

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your advise!! That is what I am looking for. 425-445-455.....
FWIW This guy on youtube claims to have made a set of adapters to use the X series on the 455

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
Thanks for your advise!! That is what I am looking for. 425-445-455.....
FWIW This guy on youtube claims to have made a set of adapters to use the X series on the 455
It’s a more expensive (used) hitch, plus the cost of an adapter...... I didn’t watch the video, but they are similar. I have one of each for my x475.

An x can use either, but the x hitches are not backward compatible as stated.

I guess if you find the right deal it could work out money wise

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Definitely Wheel Weights and Chains, I sold an extra Quick Hitch I had last spring for $300, had both the lift and Angle Cylinders. On my 445, I have the Starter and the 50# weights and used a 54" plow until I switched to the 47" Snow Blower in 1996. When I got my 1026R in 2013, I moved the Blower to that tractor and started using my blade to remove the slush the blower would not handle in the spring. I no longer do that as I am retired and if it is nasty, I don't bother going out. On thing I noticed on both of my tractors when I angled the blade in heavy snow, the front end would not always go where I was pointing. I would have to straighten out the blade and ram it real hard and then try a lesser angle to proceed. Blade is faster than the blower and in Virginia, should handle most of your snow. Being in the Lake Effect Snow Belts in Northern Michigan, not so handy for me.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
.. On thing I noticed on both of my tractors when I angled the blade in heavy snow, the front end would not always go where I was pointing. ..
I notice that on my x7 too and, needless to say, unloading the front end by pushing the plow down (vs float) is going to make this worse, but it happens in float too if the snow is heavy enough. Saw a video of someone who fashioned a front weight bracket for the hitch receiver for the x7 and hung 4 suitcase weights out front - I bet that helps a lot. OP - not sure if the 455 handles suitcase weights out front but that would be something to think about if you are being deflected when plowing.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I notice that on my x7 too and, needless to say, unloading the front end by pushing the plow down (vs float) is going to make this worse, but it happens in float too if the snow is heavy enough. Saw a video of someone who fashioned a front weight bracket for the hitch receiver for the x7 and hung 4 suitcase weights out front - I bet that helps a lot. OP - not sure if the 455 handles suitcase weights out front but that would be something to think about if you are being deflected when plowing.
I've found that even with awd, in some situations it is advantageous to 'carry' the blade rather than being in float.
Slope and grade, snow type, surface being plowed, blade angle, etc, etc.
Sometimes down pressure, sometimes float and sometimes carry above the surface.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.