Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Everyone,

So I've got a 2520 tractor now and I've always thought a TLB configuration would be about the coolest thing someone could have :good2:. My problem is, the backhoe is a lot of money :rain:. I know it can reach about 6 and a half feet down and that it can take up to a 24" bucket (seems a little big to me, what are you all using on yours?), but what kind of projects have all of you done that have them? I really enjoy doing construction projects, but its not like you are going to dig a basement with a 2520 TLB, or maybe someone has... I guess I'm just looking for some practical examples of what people have done with a 46 backhoe to sway me one direction or the other.

Thanks!

Dan

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've used mine to dig out stumps, big stumps and little stumps. I've used it to dig holes to install posts, dig out sod, pull out rocks. Dig a trench to run cable, dig a trench for a curtain drain and dig a drywell. I still have lots of projects to do, but I couldn't live with out my 46 backhoe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've used mine to dig out stumps and rocks (I live in a forest on a mountain so I have lots of both) I also use it to plant trees etc dig trenches. I also use it as a ballast when I use my FEL. I use it a lot more than I thought I would.

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
If you've got a mid-mower deck on your 2520 forget it. The changeover between TLB & mower is too much work. That being said if you don't intend to use a mid-deck the 46 is a pretty capable BH. Although it has a 6 1/2' digging depth anything below 4' is a pain. It's not a construction BH or excavator but it's great for digging small stumps & rocks, trenching, planting trees & bushes, especially in tight quarters. Like anything you'll have to gain experience with it. You'll need to have patience with larger projects but again, it's light years beyond a pick & shovel!!

Frank

·
RIP
1,225 Posts
I have enjoyed using the 46 and it is great at digging and moving rocks etc. I will say that stumps, even small ones take time and patience as there is just not enough power to man handle them. They come but it takes time and technique to get them, it is the one feature I wish I had a bit more power for.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 46 on my 2320. And we live in New England which is where rocks were invented and continue to flourish... The backhoe comes in handy when we dig shallow swales/trenches/small tree holes... remove small stumps (3"), brush removal (best use)... and the occasional stump over 3" and the occasional rock over say... 20".

I am glad I have it, but I don't think it is worth the upfront cost... it just isn't powerful enough. As a previous poster said... it's all about -- time. If you have tons of time, any stump or rock can be removed I suppose... but the tractor is too light and the digging power too weak to remove "normal sized" rocks and stumps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree - it could be more powerful and its limited by the weight of the machine. But it beats the heck out of digging by hand. I would highly recommend a set of feet from artillian. It prevents the machine from sinking in the ground so much

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, lots of good info here. :thumbup1gif: Ok, so I don't have a mid mount mower on this tractor, but I might put one on in the future; is it really hard to switch the backhoe off and put the mower on? What about the 3-point? How hard is it to go from backhoe to 3 point implement?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
The changeover from BH to MMM is much easier with the mechanical deck lift as opposed to the independent hydraulic lift. Maybe 30-45 minutes VS 1.5 hours. No need to remove the rear wheels and changeout brackets & hydraulics. I had a 2720, 62D and 46BH and got quite good at changing it over but in the end left it setup for TLB duty. Just replaced it last week with the 3320 / 485. Needed more BH.

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
BH to 3PH maybe 15 minutes.

Frank

·
Registered
72 Posts
Midmount mower... removal takes 10 minutes... which is in contrast with what you can find on Youtube... you have to do it carefully so as not to run over the wrong gizmos as you drive the tractor onto the deck, etc... is it hard? no, it is time consuming however...

Putting the backhoe on? Time: anywhere between 3 minutes and 30 minutes... depending if you are lucky or not... i.e. the unit relaxes after it was taken off the last time and it morphs into "the thing that won't go on"... my 13 year old learned how to swear from his father (me) during the infamous early backhoe wars... but like anything else, one gets the hang of it :banghead:

I will say this... the backhoe is VERY rugged and stable. It is not a toy... and it can flip you over if you aren't careful...

Reactions: Artillian

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,465 Posts
I think the hydraulics are bad on the 46, the bucket teeth are too far apart and the 6.5 ft reach is nothing to write home about.
My #7 BH we had on our JD650 was a nice unit but like everything else JD has went cheap on the 46 BH, IMO.
Between the #7 and the #46 I have dug trenches, buried 3 or 4 horses, dug out footings for a 16ft x 20ft addition, planted trees, dug out rocks, installed leach fields and way too many other things to keep track of. I almost did not get a BH with the newer 2320 tractor I figured I had dug all I needed to over the 20 some years we owned the 650, the wife said we were getting the 46 with the 2320 so we did. She was right we still need it. It's not like we use it all the time but it sure is handy to have. I do not like the #46 compared to the #7 but I am not sorry we got it, I just wish JD had not gone so cheap with it. I really miss the 7.5 reach of the #7 but it is what it is. I did however fix the tooth spacing on the bucket. BTW we have the 16" bucket as we did with the #7 BH and I would not recommend smaller.

Soil

·
Premium Member
1026R. Grand Cherokee, Sante Fe Sport
1,483 Posts
1026r bh

Here are some pics of my Sat. project 60' trench for UF wire.

Attachments

Reactions: Ibow

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have used mine to dig a foundation trench for a deck and removal of various stumps around the property. I have been very happy with this unit. I have a belly mower, but tend to use a rear finish mower most of the time, so change over to the backhoe is relatively quick and easy. Soil Yard Wall Lawn Backyard
Vehicle Tree Lawn Soil Tractor
Grassland Grass Vehicle Mower Agricultural machinery
Can't really justify it from an expense standpoint, but it's handy and fun to use.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,465 Posts
I have used mine to dig a foundation trench for a deck and removal of various stumps around the property. I have been very happy with this unit. I have a belly mower, but tend to use a rear finish mower most of the time, so change over to the backhoe is relatively quick and easy. Can't really justify it from an expense standpoint, but it's handy and fun to use.
Runner, Did ya ever change your pistons around?

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have dug about 100yds of dirt with mine. Dug out tons of rocks and stumps. Most of it was in rocky NE soil that I could not even get a shovel into. Without it I would have never attempted the projects. It is no construction sized backhoe but it really holds its own.

I also found mine on Craigslist for $3000. It was in great condition and the guy let me swap put the rear bracket... So it does not have to be as expensive as the $7000+ deere wants for a new one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.