Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,335 Posts
I think the hydraulics are bad on the 46, the bucket teeth are too far apart and the 6.5 ft reach is nothing to write home about.
My #7 BH we had on our JD650 was a nice unit but like everything else JD has went cheap on the 46 BH, IMO.
Between the #7 and the #46 I have dug trenches, buried 3 or 4 horses, dug out footings for a 16ft x 20ft addition, planted trees, dug out rocks, installed leach fields and way too many other things to keep track of. I almost did not get a BH with the newer 2320 tractor I figured I had dug all I needed to over the 20 some years we owned the 650, the wife said we were getting the 46 with the 2320 so we did. She was right we still need it. It's not like we use it all the time but it sure is handy to have. I do not like the #46 compared to the #7 but I am not sorry we got it, I just wish JD had not gone so cheap with it. I really miss the 7.5 reach of the #7 but it is what it is. I did however fix the tooth spacing on the bucket. BTW we have the 16" bucket as we did with the #7 BH and I would not recommend smaller.

Soil

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,335 Posts
I have used mine to dig a foundation trench for a deck and removal of various stumps around the property. I have been very happy with this unit. I have a belly mower, but tend to use a rear finish mower most of the time, so change over to the backhoe is relatively quick and easy. Can't really justify it from an expense standpoint, but it's handy and fun to use.
Runner, Did ya ever change your pistons around?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.