Green Tractor Talk banner

46 Backhoe stabilizer cylinder

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  DanMc 
#1 · (Edited)
Plant Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle
I let a friend borrow my my 2520 with 46 backhoe to dig a trench because his old 750 and #7 (I think) backhoe is weak. He dropped a rock on one of the stabilizer pistons and bent the rod. He already started looking I to replacements for around $300 and said he was paying for it so that's not an issue. JD wants around $900🤮 for a whole new piston and around $275 for the rod, plus what ever else I would need. I have a local hydraulic shop I can work with for a rebuild or a new aftermarket if necessary.
I've looked around the interweb and the forum to see if there is an easy cross reference to an aftermarket piston and I no dice.
So two questions...

1 Has anyone run into this and might have a cross reference or specs?

2 His #7 (I think) backhoe has plates that attach to the feet and ride on the cylinder which covers the rod when the stabilizers are down. JD does not list these plates for the 46. Has anyone adapted the 7# or other plates to the 46?

Thanks in advance!

On edit 8-31 added photos

See less See more
#2 ·
All of the older JD 7, 8 & 10 models (ARPS sourced) had stabilizer cylinder rod shields on them and they were a simple and effective method for avoiding debris and damage. Unfortunately these shields are not available for the current backhoes. They could be fabricated easily enough though.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info.

I am surprised that no one seems to have tried to use the shields from the older backhoes, of that one of the site vendors has not come up with their version. If I get a chance this weekend I'm going to see if the shield from the #7 backhoe will work.

#4 · (Edited)
I have a model 48 backhoe. I scraped up the stabilizer cyl and had to replace it. Went with an aftermarket cyl from Magister for about $170, but had to do some work to the arm because it wasn’t a perfect fit. The whole process is posted on TractorBy Net, here: Stabilizer cylinder replacement on JD Model 48 backhoe
The nice thing about the mod is that changing the cylinder is inexpensive and easy from now on.

#5 · (Edited)
DanMc. Thanks for the reply! I checked out your post great work thank you for taking the time to document it.
I was just looking at the Magister web site and same situation for the 46 backhoe no match, I am sure JD does it on purpose to have a captive audience. A friend of a friend owns a hydraulic shop and my next step is to take it to him and see what he might come up with. If that is a no go then...
The stabilizer arm on the other side is twisted from backing into a tree or two, so it wouldn't hurt to just have a couple new arms welded up and switch to aftermarket cylinders.

#6 ·
If the rock didn't ding it too bad it could likely be straitend.
Not a perfect solution but would work for a spare.

Had lots of Motorcycle Fork tubes straitend that I thought were trashed for sure.

#7 ·
@Outerlimits : Yeah, JD likes to use weird size cylinders on that backhoe. I don't know about other places, but I also had to replace my model 48 bucket cylinder. Again, I went with Magister and had to do a little bit of modification to get the replacement to fit. In that case, JD wanted $1500 for the replacement, or $500 just for the rod!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.