Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone modified the seat that goes to the 46 BH? Deere sure missed the mark on that one. I was really comfortable with the 1026r seat for the BH. Now I stepped up to the 2 series I am a bit disappointed in this seat. I think they designed it for very short people. I am not that tall (6' with 32" inseam) The seat does not even fit your butt. I love the digging power, but cannot see being on this thing for very long stretches. I may just have to make this one of my projects this winter. Something has to be done. Thanks for any input.

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
If I'm not mistaken isn't the seat adjustable for height as well as fore & aft locations? I believe it has a number of bolt holes to relocate the mount bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I'm not mistaken isn't the seat adjustable for height as well as fore & aft locations? I believe it has a number of bolt holes to relocate the mount bracket.

From what I have seen, no. But will look again. Either way the seat is really small. I could dig all day in the 1026r seat. I am no engineer but I will figure something out.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
The 46 backhoe is the AMC Pacer of Deere implements. It's hard to find anything likable about them. But look at the bright side. At least they're expensive!

You'll find it easier to use the seat back as the seat. In other words, hang your fanny off the back of the seat. It's not that uncomfortable. Plus, it's the only way you'll be able to reach the throttle.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,080 Posts

From what I have seen, no. But will look again. Either way the seat is really small. I could dig all day in the 1026r seat. I am no engineer but I will figure something out.
It does. Just took a picture of ours, height and forward and backward.

Seat.JPG

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply everyone. I looked at the adjustments yesterday evening. It looks like I may be doing some type of seat mods to this thing. Once I figure out what I will do, I will let everyone know. I like the BH, but the seat really sucks.

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
Suggest you move the seat down to clear the ROPS and back and you should be OK. I've done 6-8 hours on long drainage runs or digging multiple stumps with #8, 10, 46 & 485 backhoes. The seat was the least of my concerns. YMMV

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
994 Posts
@ 6'4" I have always felt like a fool sitting on mine and never noticed any adjustment, there really is not that much room between the back of this seat and the back of the 2520 seat but I will be sure to look tomorrow.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
@ 6'4" I have always felt like a fool sitting on mine and never noticed any adjustment, there really is not that much room between the back of this seat and the back of the 2520 seat but I will be sure to look tomorrow.
Seems like I've always tilted the front seat forward whenever I was using the backhoe seat. Way back when I was a kid running a Wain Roy backhoe on an old Ford tractor it was the same way. Get off the front seat, tip it forward and drop the backhoe seat into position. Dig away. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: BigJim55 and Gizmo2

·
Registered
994 Posts
I tilt the front seat forward as well but mine does not tilt forward 90 degrees like stock. I made a quick mod which I have never finished years ago to give myself an extra 2" of legroom. I have a suspicion that I tried or moved the 46 seat back as far as it would go when I got it and forgot all about it. To many projects not enough time. This weekend it is swapping transaxles in our 455.

·
Registered
994 Posts
BillieS did you ever make a mod for this? I spent 12+ in that seat this past weekend and it is the first time ai ever wished I was 5' 6".

·
Registered
778 Posts
With seat adjusted in the full back position I need about 3 more inches of travel to be comfortable.
The easiest fix IMHO is to install 3" steel tube standoffs between the backhoe bracket and the seat bracket
with longer carriage bolts.

I ordered some standoffs, but steel tube could be cut down. Got standoffs from here - Steel Bushing / Sleeve 1 " OD x 1/2 " ID x 3" Long 4 Pc CDS DOM | eBay

They are solid 1/4" thick tube. And I will probably test fit them, then weld them to the seat bracket. If they are too long I can cut them down.
The backhoe bracket seems strong enough to support my 185lbs even with the extended seat.

Here is what I am thinking...

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts