Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I acquired a 185 over the winter and it's pretty much just sat in my garage until the other day. I decided to start giving the tractor a once over so I pulled the mower deck off to check out the pulleys, spindles etc. Believe it or not I've never had a deck with bad spindles so I really don't know what I'm looking for but I believe I may have some bad spindles in this deck. I took a video of me spinning the spindles by hand and they seem noisy, tell me what you think.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PcduFQVzhbMXyE413

I ended up taking the blades off after this video and I noticed that the spindles didn't seem quite as noisy, could it just be the blades making the noise?

It looks like to get the spindles off the deck there's 3 bolts per spindle but once I have the spindle off I'm lost as to how to break them down/rebuilt them, anyone have any tips or videos if these spindles are in fact bad?

Thanks a bunch,
Matt

·
Premium Member
10,992 Posts
The left and middle one sound bad. The right one is probably okay but if you are replacing the bearings you might as well do all three.

This parts diagram should aid in disassembling the spindles. #4 is the bearings. My 175 was similar but it didn't have the #7 snap rings. Remove the nut, pulley and spindle (#10), remove the snap rings (#7) and with a long flat punch you should be able tap out the bearings. Hold the spindle housing in a bench vise and tap the bottom one out from the top and the top one out from the bottom. You can use a large socket as a drift to tap them back in.

185_deck.jpg

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
No sound

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there any aftermarket spindle bearings that are worth it or should i just stick to OEM Deere bearings?

·
Premium Member
10,992 Posts
I'm sure somewhere out there is a 3rd party replacement but I've always just used the JD bearings. These are ~$10.50 each.

Despite routine greasing, my old 175 went through two sets of bearings in a relatively short period of time. Upon close inspection I saw that the bearings were sealed even though each spindle had a grease zerk. So on the 3rd set of bearings I removed the rubber seals on the side of the bearings that faced the grease zerk. This allowed grease from the zerk to actually get INTO the bearing. That last set of bearings lasted over 20 years and were still running quiet when I sold the tractor.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I once own a JD 185 back when and had mower deck spindle bearings go bad. I removed the spindle and taken it to the JD dealer. The parts department guy told me I was moving my yard the wrong way. I ended up paying a assault charge for hitting the guy in the jaw. The manager told me I had to buy the whole spindle housing and all the items as one part. Cost over $85.00 as the parts were not replaceable. I proved he wasn't a manager of a John Deere dealer...just a flunky or sorts.

When you have removed the bearings, there is a number on the bearing...either side should have the number. If you have a firm called IBT in your area, they will have the bearing. If you have some tools you can replace the bearings. If the spindle housing don't have grease zerts, drill you a 1/4" and tap the hole to screw in the zerts. This will save you having to buy new bearings for ages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts