Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster, and JD owner.

L120 has a Lightning 46" snow blade, previously installed by old owner. When attached, I noted that the blade may be too low. With the storm hitting our area tomorrow, and my first time using it, I wanted to make sure I didn't need to adjust it before hand.

When in the "up" position, the scraper bottom is 4" from level ground. It hits ground when lowered just halfway. I couldn't find a way to adjust the height on the blade, but there may be something I'm missing.

Or, is the strategy to just let it scrape on the ground and replace the scraper pad routinely?

I apologize if this is a dumb question.

·
Administrator
20,982 Posts
I can't say exactly for your particular blade, but yes, that's typically how it's done. You lower the blade to the ground and let the shoes (if you have them) or cutting edge take the weight of the blade. The reason your blade is halfway down and contacting the ground is because you want the ability to allow the blade to float lower than the front axle at times such as a dip in your driveway or cresting a hill.

:wgtt:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I had thought as much but was in doubt when reading the manual for the blade, where it stated:

"When clearing snow on smooth surfaces, skid shoes should be approximately 1/4 in. (6 mm) above ground."

But, in seeing everyone else mention just riding the blade shoes on the ground, I figured there were multiple ways to do it.

At least I feel comfortable in attempting this for the morning.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Or, is the strategy to just let it scrape on the ground and replace the scraper pad routinely?
Thats my strategy. I always run my shoes up on blades and snowblower. It cleans better for me and figure I will just replace scraper when needed. I never have had to yet.

That said the shoes are good for people with gravel drives. you can ride the scraper up a little and not push rock !

·
Registered
675 Posts
Before you start pushing snow you may want to remove the MMM deck.

Doug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent advice, thank you. I do need to look into the process of removing the mower deck.

For better, or worse, our expected 8-10" of snow turned into 1/2" of snow and a lot of rain, so it looks like I won't be able to try out the plow for this season.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts