Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one experimented with orifices in the hydraulic circuit for the 47/54 chute rotation speed? I have a pair of 1025Rs both with the 47 Snow Blower. The chute rotation hydraulics are very quick. So I was thinking about an orifice to slow it down. However, I thought I'd check and see if some one has already addressed this and has all the answers. Anyone?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Has any one experimented with orifices in the hydraulic circuit for the 47/54 chute rotation speed? I have a pair of 1025Rs both with the 47 Snow Blower. The chute rotation hydraulics are very quick. So I was thinking about an orifice to slow it down. However, I thought I'd check and see if some one has already addressed this and has all the answers. Anyone?
I would think that this would be a perfect way to go.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
I would think that this would be a perfect way to go.
Agree. I usually have no problem feathering the SCV to turn the chute slowly but I have no idea why JD didn't install flow restrictors right from the factory. You don't want that chute flopping around at high speed, especially with the goofy cable setup they used.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agree. I usually have no problem feathering the SCV to turn the chute slowly but I have no idea why JD didn't install flow restrictors right from the factory. You don't want that chute flopping around at high speed, especially with the goofy cable setup they used.
Actually, they do. There is a washer type orifice at the hose connections, at both ends of the cylinder. I had been planning on updating this thread once I had concluded my evaluation. I did replace both of these washer type orifices with units that had approximately half the opening size. While, in my opinion, it has greatly improved the manageability of the chute rotation, it may actually be a touch on the slow side now. However, I am becoming accustomed to it as there wasn't a day last week I was blowing snow. It is my plan to swap back only one of the larger, original, orifices and evaluate that--- one smaller orifice and one original I just haven't had the opportunity to do so.

Once I have concluded my evaluations, I'll update this thread with more specifics, such as orifice opening size, part numbers, photos, etc.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Actually, they do. There is a washer type orifice at the hose connections, at both ends of the cylinder. I had been planning on updating this thread once I had concluded my evaluation. I did replace both of these washer type orifices with units that had approximately half the opening size. While, in my opinion, it has greatly improved the manageability of the chute rotation, it may actually be a touch on the slow side now. However, I am becoming accustomed to it as there wasn't a day last week I was blowing snow. It is my plan to swap back only one of the larger, original, orifices and evaluate that--- one smaller orifice and one original I just haven't had the opportunity to do so.

Once I have concluded my evaluations, I'll update this thread with more specifics, such as orifice opening size, part numbers, photos, etc.
That would be great! Yes, I see it currently has an orifice in line with the hose. If this is how the chute acts with an orifice I can't imagine what it would be like without one.

Below is the info on the existing orifice.

Part Number:
M145979
Part Price:6.68 USD
On Hand:
0 Check Other Stores
Description:Orifice - ORIFICE

Specification
Weight:0.00 LBS 0.00 Kg
Orifice Diameter0.042 IN
See Sketch0.503 IN
Thickness0.080 IN
See Sketch0.433 IN
MaterialSTEEL
FinishB
Note

Attachments

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I finally had the opportunity to switch back one of the orifices on the snow blower chute rotation cylinder. To recap, I found the factory configuration rather fast and unmanageable. I did some research and found the chute rotation cylinder actually came with orifices installed within each of the hose connections to the cylinder. (See the illustration in jgayman's post.) These particular orifices, JD PN: M145979, have an orifice diameter of 0.042". I searched for an aftermarket source for these orifices with no success. I recalled the hydraulic cylinder for the Independent Lift mower deck option also had an orifice, PN: LVU16655, item #11 in the illustration below:

LVU30330 Hydraulic Lift Kit 3.jpg

The LVU16655 has an orifice diameter of 0.025".

Part Number: LVU16655
Part Price: 28.63 USD
On Hand: 0 Check Other Stores
Description: Orifice - ORIFICE, ORIFICE, O-RING PLATE (-4)
Package Quantity: 1

All Makes Parts from John Deere Where Used

English Metric

Specification
Weight: 0.00 LBS 0.00 Kg
Orifice Diameter 0.025 IN
See Sketch 0.503 IN
Thickness 0.080 IN
See Sketch 0.433 IN
Material 1215CD
Finish B
Note

Below is a photo of the M145979 and LVU16655 side-by-side:

DSCN0508.JPG

I ordered two of the LVU16655 orifices after vacillating if it really bothered me $50.00 worth, but I convinced myself it would hopefully only take one. I could utilize the other on the other home's 47 Snow Blower.

I cross-referenced the specifications for the JD O-ring to an Amazon seller's:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ELJRHQU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I purchased a bag of 1000 for less than double the price of two from JD. I now have enough for at least 9 lifetimes (if I was only a cat).

Initially, I swapped out both orifices in one of the snow blowers and I have been utilizing that for several weeks. As I noted in a previous post, it was definitely more manageable, but maybe a tad on the slow side. This morning I swapped back in one of the original orifices. So I now have a 0.042" orifice at one end of the cylinder and a 0.025" at the other end. I just tried this briefly, rotating the chute at idle and again at 2000RPM. I believe this will be the best combination. The speed of rotation and the manageability were both very comfortable. The proof will be when I actually blow snow with it again.

DSCN0509.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts