Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I'm pretty new to the forum!!! I've got a 47 B that has water getting into the engine oil. My question is could the water get in from the governor housing if the gasket is bad?

I don't believe it's the head gasket because I'm not losing any antifreeze.

Registered
Hi all I'm pretty new to the forum!!! I've got a 47 B that has water getting into the engine oil. My question is could the water get in from the governor housing if the gasket is bad?

I don't believe it's the head gasket because I'm not losing any antifreeze.
If I recall, deteriorated push rod sleeves can allow water in the oil also.

Registered
My Dad has a 47 A with the same issue. We rebuilt the engine several years ago and was blaming the lead washers in the head bolts but that obviously wasnt it.

Registered
Please clarify; you are getting water in the motor, but not losing antifreeze? Are you are saying is that the level of whatever is in your radiator is not dropping, but water from outside the tractor is getting into the engine? Or are you saying that whatever is getting in your engine is coming from the cooling system?

:dunno:

:munch:

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I believe water is getting inside the engine from outside. My cooling system level has remained the same. I was thinking it could be coming from the governor housing gasket.

Registered
Process of elimination is going to be the best way to solve your problem short of a rebuild for the sake of a rebuild. Throwing time and money randomly will eventually fix it, but it isn't very efficient.

I would begin by getting the tractor under some sort of shelter, or at least tarping it up nice and tight. If you still have water problems, it must be coming from the cooling system. You'd be surprised how tiny a head gasket leak can actually be. On my M it was a slight deformity no bigger around than my dog's hair. In a 3 gallon, unpressurized cooling system I never noticed an abnormal drop in the radiator level.

If getting the tractor out of the elements fixes the issue there are two ways to continue; always keep the tractor indoors and don't worry about it, or intentionally leave it out with one possible trouble spot at a time under wraps. Through the process of elimination, you will narrow down the possible leaky spot(s).

Good luck!

Registered
If tractor is stored outside water can enter engine through air cleaner stack &/or muffler if left uncovered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts