Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK , first photo is the broken bearing , then replaced bearing and the collar that goes over the end of bearing. Took maybe 4 hrs ,with me having only part of a clue what I needed to do.. That time included walking down to FIL getting his gear puller. then figuring out to use . I've always been the helper and he or my BIL was always the one doing the work.. This time neither one was around to help..
Put everything back to gather , was turning the blower by hand and I noticed the broken ujoint on yoke from blower toward tractor...
OH boy what will this cost , called dealer, talking to service manager and he told me it could be covered under warranty because these parts were bought when I bought the tractor .....Hurray yes !! :dance:
When my wife came home I was going to a local repair shop to see what the cost my be. No need now.. Made my day!!

Attachments

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
998 Posts
How many hours of use does this unit have? Do those bearings have a zert? This does not speak well for this unit (I have been looking for a used one) at all if it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
How many hours of use does this unit have? Do those bearings have a zert? This does not speak well for this unit (I have been looking for a used one) at all if it is still under warranty.
The only zerks that I know of on the 47 are the ones on the u-joints and 2 on the auger. The two on the auger just lubricate the coupling between the auger and the shear pin setup. All of the bearings are the sealed type.
I've had my 47 blower now for 7 years, seems to be a pretty tough unit. I torture mine pretty bad.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,468 Posts
Nice job etcallhome and thanks for the pictures.
I'm thinking one went first and then took the other out.
I have to ask, and not really knowing much about it, but isn't there some kind of alignment you need to do with the drive-shaft when mounting it to the tractor? Like aligning the u-joints 180 deg out from each other? I could see a u-joint breaking if they were not.

·
Premium Member
15,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like Arlen stated these are sealed bearings.
I bought this blower used I think in Nov of 2010 or 11 . I think someone told me it was a 05 06 unit, & I'm guessing it had 50-100 hrs on it when I bought . I could have had more not sure.
The first winter I owned it I put over a 100 hrs. of hard use. Last winter maybe 15-30 hrs and this winter so far close to 40 hrs.
Now the U joint breakage, all the drive shafts on blower and under tractor was bought about 15 -18 mos ago when I got the 1026r. For some reason got the tractor in July and didn't get the other parts till Nov or Dec of last yr.. So these parts have only ,like I stated above, 55-70 hrs at the most.

As Arlen stated I've had my 47 blower now for 7 years, seems to be a pretty tough unit. I torture mine pretty bad.

I have torture mine ,.. first year of owning blew all the snow in a small hill. 5-6' high about 25' long and 8-10' wide.. Blew all this snow 50' behind the neighbors building. It is hard re blowing snow.
I'm like Arlen I believe they are a tough machine. Some of this may have been my doings , I found a nut ,just shy being tight when I was taking it apart . That could have been the beginning of what caused the bearing to go. I did buy 3 extras just in case another , or another decides to go.

·
Premium Member
15,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice job etcallhome and thanks for the pictures.
I'm thinking one went first and then took the other out.
I have to ask, and not really knowing much about it, but isn't there some kind of alignment you need to do with the drive-shaft when mounting it to the tractor? Like aligning the u-joints 180 deg out from each other? I could see a u-joint breaking if they were not.
I've always checking making sure the u-joints are aligned.. I guessing the bearing went first , but could be wrong. I had heard a different sound, either one or two days before this happened. I sprayed the chain thinking it was chain chatter.. looked and didn't see anything that looked out of place.

·
Administrator
18,819 Posts
Hey ET, could the U-joint have been damaged/compromised from the little off driveway indecent you had a while ago? Wasn't the driveshaft bent?

·
Premium Member
15,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The blower was only on maybe 1-5 seconds, plus it was the main shaft not this one that was damaged. Also the way everything landed I don't think so.
Can't say .....

·
Premium Member
15,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update ,, used the blower about 90 mins today, still having a small issue. Turning the blower by hand about every 3 or 4 rear shaft turn it will catch. So thinking before something breaks going to take the blower off for the season . I'll take the back off again and see if I missed something if still a noise then go to the front and work my way to the back propeller . Hoping not to many more big snows for the season and hoping just a bearing I missed.

·
Premium Member
15,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're taking it off anyway and the warranty covers it, have you thought about taking it to the dealer?
Not really , blower is close to 7-9 yrs old. The complete driveshaft was bought about 15-18 mos ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts