Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so after using the 1025r extensively this winter (CT) , i am of the opinion i need a linear accuator to control the chute. I understand from reading posts etc.... you need the right controller and HD accuator to avoid moisture and cold temps from effecting the accuator over time. I also need the disconnects as I remove the soft cab in summer ...

I see a seller on Ebay that has a quick connect type of system but looks to be good for a cigarette plug (so i would need to add that as the accrssory outlet is not in a good place on 1025 for such a quick connect.)

Anyone have experience with the Ebay sellers kit, he is in maine, and hook up on 1025R ?
COst is 160-200 based on controller etc.. I want to do this once so cost better best and basic is insignificant in the grad scheme of things..

I have a soft cab and electric heater and lights all which i love ... So this is absolutely a net step for me...

All comments and thoughts appreciated..

·
Registered
404 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: tj1 and BigJim55

·
Registered
357 Posts
I purchased the bare kit from the maine ebay seller for $149.95 plus shipping. I also bought a replacement switch from zoro tools that fits the factory knockout for the mower deck lift as the one he provides is more square. I have yet to install it but when I do I will be using power from the mower deck lift harness right behind the knockout.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
1,542 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Try these guys. They are the ones I got my parts from

Your Shopping Cart – Firgelli Automations Canada

I also ordered their weatherproof boot and brackets
I ordered everything for mine at Firgelli's, except for #16 wire, waterproof connector and fuse connection, Local NAPA carries all this. I used a momentary rocker switch and also used a #5-2.25"X1/4" bolt with plastic washers up top instead of the attachment bracket. I bought the 115 pound actuator rated to keep water out (and it does) 4" stroke actuator. It almost fit right in the drilled lower two holes from JD, Almost, so I moved the unit forward 1/2" to clear the small bolt that keeps the spout on, I also had to shape the bracket so the actuator could go straight up (if you do not it will hit the actuator body). I love it. Sorry no pics on line yet but I did read this entire thing on another forum with pics. Can't remember which forum but it isn't hard to find and it is also not hard to install. Ran the electric right to the battery and mounted the switch on the dash, that took a little steadiness with my mini die grinder to get it right but take your time and it will look factory. Use wire loom, take your time and no one will know it didn't come that way. By the way I used the 115LB rated unit because I have a friend that is in charge of maintenance at a local college and he claims the units with a less rating have issues with the top seal of the actuator popping off because of the heavy snow if you are trying to lower the spout while blowing.. I believed him and I am not worried at all about this ever having that issue. The forum I read used a 4lb unit.. Maybe I used overkill but better to be safe then sorry. It cycles fully in about 4-5 seconds,, not bad at all. Like $114.00 bucks US
Jeff

·
Registered
404 Posts
"115LB rated unit because I have a friend that is in charge of maintenance at a local college and he claims the units with a less rating have issues with the top seal of the actuator popping off because of the heavy snow if you are trying to lower the spout while blowing.. I believed him and I am not worried at all about this ever having that issue. The forum I read used a 4lb unit.. Maybe I used overkill but better to be safe then sorry. It cycles fully in about 4-5 seconds,, not bad at all. Like $114.00 bucks US"

Thanks
Good to know. I went with a 35 lb unit. I will keep your comments in mind

I'll bet you are getting a lot of use out of it these last few weeks?

Reactions: tj1

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
"115LB rated unit because I have a friend that is in charge of maintenance at a local college and he claims the units with a less rating have issues with the top seal of the actuator popping off because of the heavy snow if you are trying to lower the spout while blowing.. I believed him and I am not worried at all about this ever having that issue. The forum I read used a 4lb unit.. Maybe I used overkill but better to be safe then sorry. It cycles fully in about 4-5 seconds,, not bad at all. Like $114.00 bucks US"

Thanks
Good to know. I went with a 35 lb unit. I will keep your comments in mind

I'll bet you are getting a lot of use out of it these last few weeks?
I believe you are good with the #35 rated unit. And YES more usage than I really want! I have read some actuators freeze up, this has not and I don't think it ever will. With the fluffy 12-20" snow storms we have had that actuator has paid for itself many times over. My 42" Berco has all electric but that boy is on the back burner these days. No way can it compare to the removal speed of the 47" JD. I go overboard on everything, My father was; let's say "frugal", and everything he bought broke! Me, I want things to last forever, cost doesn't mean to much if you buy good products, heck we bought John Deere's didn't we!!

Reactions: dzldanz

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have a retired bulldozer operator in Princeton and he is pretty busy moving snow with his vintage Bombardier tracked plow

·
Registered
357 Posts
Correction to my above post
Here is a better link for parts to assemble the project

Linear Actuators for a Snow Blower Chute – Firgelli Automations

Also to answer your original question I believe this E-Bay seller has it covered
I personally would opt out of a wireless remote and use a manual double pole double throw switch

John Deere HD 47 Snow Blower Thrower Electronic Spout Chute Control Mod 455 | eBay
That is the way I went but I discarded his dpdt switch and bought one that fit the factory knockout.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
I have a retired bulldozer operator in Princeton and he is pretty busy moving snow with his vintage Bombardier tracked plow
Princeton Ma? If so you do need a bulldozer operator! This is next to my heart...

View attachment 40344

Reactions: blue87fj60

·
Registered
404 Posts
Jeff
Sorry, I meant I have a buddy in Princeton Mass.
My fingers overshot my brain

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Jeff
Sorry, I meant I have a buddy in Princeton Mass.
My fingers overshot my brain
It's okay, he is seeing all this and even more. Princeton gets plenty of snow, the mountain helps. . I built many houses in that town and if you start framing in November, be ready!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I believe you are good with the #35 rated unit. And YES more usage than I really want! I have read some actuators freeze up, this has not and I don't think it ever will. With the fluffy 12-20" snow storms we have had that actuator has paid for itself many times over. My 42" Berco has all electric but that boy is on the back burner these days. No way can it compare to the removal speed of the 47" JD. I go overboard on everything, My father was; let's say "frugal", and everything he bought broke! Me, I want things to last forever, cost doesn't mean to much if you buy good products, heck we bought John Deere's didn't we!!
Jeff, I am lookin for a cab for my x748 do you have any info on these?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you to all for the valuable info... But; my question is still no answered... Where is there a good location for the switch? The x748 has no knock out plugs and the dash has no room either. Again, I went to the j.d. Dealer and got a double toggle switch for a gator 's dump box, it will fit on the fight fender buy the cup holder, this switch has three leads, and ideas on the wiring of this?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Reactions: tj1 and RandyM

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Thank you to all for the valuable info... But; my question is still no answered... Where is there a good location for the switch? The x748 has no knock out plugs and the dash has no room either. Again, I went to the j.d. Dealer and got a double toggle switch for a gator 's dump box, it will fit on the fight fender buy the cup holder, this switch has three leads, and ideas on the wiring of this?
I don't know if the 748 is anything like my 738 in the dash area but this is what I did..

View attachment 95513 I cut out the labeling above the 12 volt switch and installed my DPDT rocker switch in that spot.. very easy to do. There are sites mentioned to view the correct wiring for rocker switches.. Good luck and I hope this may help you a little if at all.. I still have one more spot where it says lights, available for future uses..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts