Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a 2 stage snow blower. What are the preferences? Is the 54"@$500 more worth it? Can the 54 bog down the tractor?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
What tractor?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm looking into buying a 2 stage snow blower. What are the preferences? Is the 54"@$500 more worth it? Can the 54 bog down the tractor?
I have the 54" blower on a1026r. It works just fine.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have the 54" blower on a1023E. It works just fine.

In fact it even blows slush and water. I think the solid core secondary auger makes it work so good in the sloppy stuff. Looks cool seeing the slop spray out the chute.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I also have the 54" snow blower that seems to work well. I'm sure the 47" does too. I also have plowed snow with the 54" blade---for 20 years. Sometimes a blade would be a lot quicker than a blower. With a blade, in some winters, you will get big banks of snow on both sides of your driveway which might be a problem. No snow banks with a blower. The blade is very little maintenance. The blower has grease fittings, shear pins, hoses etc. to deal with. The blower can freeze up between snowfalls if not stored in a warm garage---no worries with the blade. The blade takes up less storage space and is easier to handle for one person. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need to clear 16 miles of a 8'wide bike path. I only need to clear 5'wide. I was thinking blower because of the drifting issue. Need to pull a V blade to widen it out to 5'

·
Premium Member
13,044 Posts
I need to clear 16 miles of a 8'wide bike path. I only need to clear 5'wide. I was thinking blower because of the drifting issue. Need to pull a V blade to widen it out to 5'
Wow, that's a lot of trail to clear. What is the trail base? Gravel or asphalt?

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I hope you have a cab.

I do not think I would pull a wider blade at the same time as the snow blower.
You will be stuck a lot in deep snow.

Is this broken up in sections?
Or do you do it in one 16 mile run?

·
Premium Member
13,044 Posts
That's a good answer. :) What is your budget for this task? I'm thinking that the job isn't necessarily easily accomplished by only one tool. If you are required to keep 16mi x 5 feet opened under all conditions you will likely need multiple implements (and maybe a larger tractor).

A blade would be much faster but will only work up to a certain snow depth. Ideally you would want something that you can angle and clear the whole path at once. If you need multiple passes with a narrow blade it is going to take a long time. Going backwards with a rear blade seems out of the question.

When the snow gets very deep you will likely need a blower. Running a blower is slower but it can move a lot of snow. 16 miles is a lot of ground to travel. Again, a front mounted implement seems mandatory.

I'm not sure how critical this snow removel task is but I suspect you may find the 1026 is a bit small for the task - if the task is to be completed in a reasonable amount of time. If the snow must remain clear and it is snowing heavily, one machine is going to have trouble keeping up with 16miles of trails.

I suspect the ideal solution would be a larger tractor with a front mounted blade that is large enough to cover 5-feet when angled. That same tractor would need a 5-foot front mounted snow blower. You will also want to have a LARGE salt spreader mounted on the 3PH to keep those trails and bridges from icing over once you clear them.

You will also probably need to carry extra stuff with you in case you are at mile marker 10 and run out of fuel, break a shear bolt, etc.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's more of a recreational trail that needs to be cleared after 4" of accumulation. Due to the bridge capacity (our lack there of) the 1026R it's not to exceed 2000# thus eliminating a larger machine. The township doesn't desire total clean up by using salt primarily cost, secondly blue berry bushes are sensitive to the salt as well.

·
Registered
947 Posts
IMHO...the extra 7 inches is well worth the $. I don't know the details of the 1026r but TractorData states the width at just over 47". Again, not knowing the details I don't know if you can switch the tires from side to side to increase or decrease width as you can with the 2x20 series. I had a 47" on our 2320 and 2520 and just last year moved up to the 54" (on the 2520). You can definately tell you are moving more snow but I didn't notice any significant drop in power. I recognize we have different tractors but you are talking about less the 1.5 hp (25.2 vs 26.5).

So my 2 cents says go for it especially if you have to do more than just the trails. I never really liked the 47" on our 2520 since it barely covered the tracks of the rear tires (even in the narrow position). This becomes an issue when following a curve or trying to back up in heavy deep snow. As my neighbor states...it's like a drunken sailor trying to back up a sailboat.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Premium Member
10,137 Posts
I'd vote for the 54". A 47 would require two passes and that is 32 miles!

In a heavy snowfall you might overload the 54" blower only if you tried to go too fast. If it is deep, just go slower.

A blade would be a problem because after a while you would have a bank of snow on the side that would have to be pushed back.

I'd also recommend a good heavy duty jumpsuit to stay warm!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Here is another option. The Arthur Randall Corporation makes a 72'' x 25" front mounted snow blade. That would handle some serious snow fairly quickly and you would spend less time doing the job.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yes... You do have to come back between storms, right? Or does someone drive to the other end with a trailer to tow the tractor back?

Mr. Moose

·
Registered
29 Posts

In a heavy snowfall you might overload the 54" blower only if you tried to go too fast. If it is deep, just go slower.

A blade would be a problem because after a while you would have a bank of snow on the side that would have to be pushed back.

I'd also recommend a good heavy duty jumpsuit to stay warm!
I just purchased a 54" quich hitch blade for my 1023e. How many inches of snow will it be able to handle if we get dumped on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
A snow blower will take FOREVER to cover 16mi. of trail, but when that "lake effect snow machine" cranks up in Holland a blade probably will not do either, for lighter stuff a blade should be fine and much faster. Hope there is a gas station along the trail somewhere. What is the primary use of the trail in the winter months?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I think the chute on the 47" only turns 180 degree, where the 54" turns 210 degree. But I am not sure where I saw that.

Doug

·
Super Moderator
8,192 Posts
I looked at the 54 Snowblower last year when contemplating the possibility of upgrading from the 47 for the 2305. I noticed that the second stage fan, blower housing and discharge chute were the same size between the two blowers. It occurred to me that it might become "clogged" more often when clearing heavy wet snow as is frequently the case where I live. You'd think that the wider blower would have a larger capacity secondary system than the smaller unit. In the end I stayed with the 47 and saved myself about $2400. I'm sure that with powder it wouldn't make a difference but where I live we receive a lot of mixed, heavy, wet snow.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts