Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4700 with power reverser transmission and 1009hrs. The temp gauge will go into the red within 3-5 minutes after cold start. Engine is still cold to touch. Replaced the sending unit but problem still exists. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
My guess is either a bad wire or bad gauge. If you can, trace the wire to see if it is shorting somewhere.

·
Registered
749 Posts
sounds like a bad egg tractor.....:) ....i have been looking for a 4700 to replace my 4500 ....love the 4500 but would like a tad more HP

if its not really overheating.....its gotta be ...sender...wire...gauge ...or a issue with the whole instrument cluster

but since its taking 3-5 min to (over heat) it sounds more like a real issue of overheating possibly a stuck thermostat ...but if you say the engine is cold.....hmmmm

i will check my manual for any clues tommorow ....could be as simple as moisture in the cluster

if you dont get a more answers you might post this to the LCUT tractor forum in here

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My guess is either a bad wire or bad gauge. If you can, trace the wire to see if it is shorting somewhere.
The gauge always slowly goes to hot. If it is a short, wouldn’t it jump immediately to hot?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like a bad egg tractor.....:) ....i have been looking for a 4700 to replace my 4500 ....love the 4500 but would like a tad more HP

if its not really overheating.....its gotta be ...sender...wire...gauge ...or a issue with the whole instrument cluster

but since its taking 3-5 min to (over heat) it sounds more like a real issue of overheating possibly a stuck thermostat ...but if you say the engine is cold.....hmmmm

i will check my manual for any clues tommorow ....could be as simple as moisture in the cluster

if you dont get a more answers you might post this to the LCUT tractor forum in here
I’ve noticed in the past that after I’ve ran it for a few hours the cluster gets a little foggy looking.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Totally different series but my X585 would do this. It was fine if the tractor was just running but if the PTO was on it would slowly peg out the temp gauge. It could be a 90F+ day and I would be out there mowing, notice it pegged and turn off the PTO leaving the RPMs up and the temp would drop to normal. I took it in as I didn't have time to mess with telling them it was electrical and the symptoms. It is a long story but they replaced the temp sending unit, cleaned the radiator and replaced the thermostat. Of those the only one that really made sense was maybe the sending unit. Anyhow the problem was never fixed. I never took it back. I knew it wasn't overheating and eventually some of the other gauges started flaking out like the fuel gauge. There was a known problem about an inadequate ground wire for the dash as well as documented instrument cluster issues. I eventually bought my Z950R to where I could be without the X585 for a few weeks and took at month to go through it addressing this issue along with several other stuff like some surface rust and such. I ended up fixing the dash by desoldering and resoldering the points where the instrument cluster connects to the wiring harness. There were signs of stress fractures in the points most likely because of vibrations. I also spliced in a new ground wire as well to the ground wire in the harness right next to the connector to the cluster. The overheating issue has gone away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Totally different series but my X585 would do this. It was fine if the tractor was just running but if the PTO was on it would slowly peg out the temp gauge. It could be a 90F+ day and I would be out there mowing, notice it pegged and turn off the PTO leaving the RPMs up and the temp would drop to normal. I took it in as I didn't have time to mess with telling them it was electrical and the symptoms. It is a long story but they replaced the temp sending unit, cleaned the radiator and replaced the thermostat. Of those the only one that really made sense was maybe the sending unit. Anyhow the problem was never fixed. I never took it back. I knew it wasn't overheating and eventually some of the other gauges started flaking out like the fuel gauge. There was a known problem about an inadequate ground wire for the dash as well as documented instrument cluster issues. I eventually bought my Z950R to where I could be without the X585 for a few weeks and took at month to go through it addressing this issue along with several other stuff like some surface rust and such. I ended up fixing the dash by desoldering and resoldering the points where the instrument cluster connects to the wiring harness. There were signs of stress fractures in the points most likely because of vibrations. I also spliced in a new ground wire as well to the ground wire in the harness right next to the connector to the cluster. The overheating issue has gone away.
I’m feel certain now it’s in the cluster....$980 to replace it at the dealership!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I’m feel certain now it’s in the cluster....$980 to replace it at the dealership!

The one for my tractor wasn't that much I don't think. I want to say $400 for some reason. The way I looked at it was if I wanted to fix it, I might as well go in and resolder it first. Best case it works. Worst case, I spend the money on the new one anyhow. However I don't know your skill set or what you have. I have a digital solder station so I could control the heat a lot better than a cheap soldering iron. I have also repaired several clusters in the past on GM vehicles when stepper motors have failed and the digital displays for the odometer/gear position. So the tractor cluster repair was pretty easy.

Oh, I remember doing a thread on the refurb project.

Refreshing a X585

It was a pretty big project with only one small part being the cluster work. Here is where I started posting pictures of what was wrong with the cluster.

Refreshing a X585 - Page 3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts