Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i purchased a new property and now have a half mile of driveway that will need to be cleared off in the winter. I currently have a 4710 with front loader that i would like to use for the snow removal. what is the best/cheapest way to get a snow thrower on this thing? i refuse to do the driveway in reverse so please don't mention that. the tractor currently only has a rear PTO but I'm guessing a mid PTO could be purchased if needed. any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated. again i don't want to spend a ton of money but will spend a good amount if that is what will be the best option. Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
You could try plowing it with edge tamers on your bucket...thats what I plan to try this winter on my 1/4 mile dirt driveway.

I was closed off to the idea of the rear mount blower too...but I'm re-thinking that. They're much cheaper, and way tougher than those front mounts.

·
Administrator
17,313 Posts
A front mounted snowblower will be $5,000 to $12,000. I won't suggest a rear one, but I'm guessing this is to much for you to spend based on your comments.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5-7k wouldn't be the end of the world but less is always better. i am willing to go the route of used parts if needed as well. i am all ears, better to have all the options on the table.

·
Administrator
17,313 Posts
Here is a front mounted snowblower that uses the rear PTO:

Front Mount Snowblower | Snow Equipment | Snowblowers | Tractor Attachments | Erskine Attachments LLC

-------------------
Erskine also makes these rear blower that are "backwards" (AKA "pull type"), so you drive forwards to use it:

3-Point PTO Rear Pull Snowblower | Snow Equipment | Snowblowers | Tractor Attachments | Erskine Attachments LLC

------------------
And so does MK Martin:

https://mkmartin.ca/products/pullType.php

-----------------
Adding the mid-PTO would let you use the JD one, but it's only 60" wide. You'd also have to get the front hitch and supporting components, all that might be hard to find but possible.

-------------------
JD/ Frontier used to make the SB21 loader mounted blower that was driven hydraulically like mentioned above, but I can't find any good links for it now. It was about 12k as I recall with the rear mounted power pack.

------------------
This company makes some too:

https://lucknowproducts.com/products/snow-blowers/front-mounts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Your literally asking to “have your cake and eat it too”. You can either go less expensive and blow in reverse or spend big $ for some type of front mount, drive forward rear mount or rear power pack driven model-those are just the options that are available...

·
Registered
373 Posts
My view

I have shown this before Tractor is 2003 4300 blower is an Erskine 14 years old on back for 2 years on front 12 years driven by pump on rear PTO Would never go back to rear However cab is most important part of this set up Will an administrator please turn tractor picture over please

IMG_0426.jpg

6 LEFT-REAR-SNAKE-PIT.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have shown this before Tractor is 2003 4300 blower is an Erskine 14 years old on back for 2 years on front 12 years driven by pump on rear PTO Would never go back to rear However cab is most important part of this set up Will an administrator please turn tractor picture over please

View attachment 692198

View attachment 692200
thanks for this last helpful post!! where did you get the rear PTO pump setup from? the setup with the rear blade is exactly what i am looking for. i already have the rear blade and cab on my tractor.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
thanks for this last helpful post!! where did you get the rear PTO pump setup from? the setup with the rear blade is exactly what i am looking for. i already have the rear blade and cab on my tractor.
Have you looked into the cost of those rear PTO pumps? Last one I saw for sale used was still more expensive that a 3pt blower and that’s just the pump-doesn’t include the tank, lines or the actual blower for the front! And front mount hydraulic powered blowers aren’t cheap either...:gizmo:

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Maybe getting a self powered berco and just mount it in the bucket.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
OP
where are you located and what are your normal winters like. Much drifting? Paved?
I’m in Maine. We average 50-100” but have got 24”-36” in a day many times, along with the associated drifting. Or 12” of slop.

I know a few people that use self powered berco’s on UTV’s and are happy. The berco attachments for little tractors are also well liked.

This is 18hp. I think they offer a higher power option.
UTV Snow Blower 1800mm / 71 inch V2 18HP - YouTube

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm located in Central Minnesota so snow can be fairly heavy. the self powered one could definitely work!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’m in Maine. We average 50-100” but have got 24”-36” in a day many times, along with the associated drifting. Or 12” of slop.

I know a few people that use self powered berco’s on UTV’s and are happy. The berco attachments for little tractors are also well liked.

This is 18hp. I think they offer a higher power option.
UTV Snow Blower 1800mm / 71 inch V2 18HP - YouTube

I guess i would try to find a used rear pull-might be some north of the border. They tend to be made quite well and offer a simpler option to the front mounts and are usually cheaper
They are easy to use and quick, the chief shortcoming would be really deep snow.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
I guess i would try to find a used rear pull-might be some north of the border. They tend to be made quite well and offer a simpler option to the front mounts and are usually cheaper
They are easy to use and quick, the chief shortcoming would be really deep snow.
Rears are great. The OP didn’t want one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i am just fine with a good rear pull, as long as i don't have to go in reverse. a driveway as long as mine I'm not going to deal with the sore neck.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The PTO pump came from the surplus center in Lincoln Nb as did most of the "hardware" The blower is an Erskine that for two years was rear mounted the tank was made by the fabricator who put the whole thing together it evolved over a number of years

Blower motor and chute controls

FRONT.jpg

joy stick for chute control

CONTROL.jpg

should replace galvanized pipe

DRIVE PUMP.jpeg

tank I know it is to small lots of fun in zero degree weather until it warms up

TANK AND REAR.jpg

but it does and will blow snow

snow2 02_02.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The PTO pump came from the surplus center in Lincoln Nb as did most of the "hardware" The blower is an Erskine that for two years was rear mounted the tank was made by the fabricator who put the whole thing together it evolved over a number of years

Blower motor and chute controls

View attachment 693598

joy stick for chute control

View attachment 693600

should replace galvanized pipe

View attachment 693596

tank I know it is to small lots of fun in zero degree weather until it warms up

View attachment 693602

but it does and will blow snow

View attachment 693604

that is exactly what i am thinking of in my head!! about how much did this cost you? i can do the fab work myself so i don't have to hire that out unless absolutely needed

·
Registered
55 Posts
May I suggest a pull behind or inverted snow blower? I know there are guys here that oppose them because you drive over the snow but I have never ever had a problem with it! We live at elevation 2000 ft and get lots of snow regularly. I clear a half mile down and 1/2 mile back when ever it snows. Sometimes my neighbor has asked me to help him as well and the trip turns into a 3 mile trek. This is all dirt class 4 roads and at times I have waited until it has stopped snowing. The deepest I have ever cleared was 24", this of course was very slow to let it all feed through the fan. Wet snow beginning and end of the year is tough so I use the front end loader and the blower for counter weight. dry snow which is 95% of the time it removes it like nothing. If I encounter a drift, I just push it aside with my loader and continue on.

The tractor is a 5105m with a cab and 15.5x38 tires. The blower I have is a Fransgard V style blower 7' wide and weights about 1500-1800 lbs. My tractor has loaded tires with two wheel weights on each side for a total weight of 12,800 lbs. So it can pack the snow and go through it but the way the blower is made and weight, peels the packed snow right up. Leaving no tracks.

These style blowers are popular in Canada and can be found on Craigslist as well. Right now there is one on Vermont CL for $500. It's blue and use snow blower or snowblower to find it. We had that smaller one with my wife's first tractor and sold it to the guy that bought that tractor. They are old as heck and simple but work amazing.

Google will also get you some vids as well. I know there is a dealer in Maine that has either Pronovost or Normand as well (both great brands). Do some research on this style and as they say "this is forward thinking in blowing snow"

If you have more questions on pull behinds, I can answer them?

Just saw my avatar has a picture of my set up! I have been thinking of upgrading the blower to a pronovost or normand, someday perhaps!

happy to help!
jrob730

1 - 19 of 19 Posts