Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it warmed up to 7 deg today, I decided to take advantage of the heatwave and move some bales around. 190 hours so far. :good2:

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,478 Posts
I see you had the air conditioning on. :mocking:

Great pics! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see you had the air conditioning on. :mocking:
I was "economizing" (RDG will get it...HVAC humor). I'm not complaining too much, before the 4720, I pulled small square bales in a sled twice a day.

·
Administrator
17,559 Posts
Real men don't have cabs :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I bet the freeze 'stat was doing its best to find a damper to shut down. :laugh:
I dream of having the need of a 4x20....one day....sigh

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Since it warmed up to 7 deg today, I decided to take advantage of the heatwave and move some bales around. 190 hours so far. :good2:
Arlen,

I bet the cattle liked you today.:laugh:

is your canopy the JD factory canopy? I just ordered one today for my 990.

Also how many wheel weights do you have and how much are they each?

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Arlen,

I bet the cattle liked you today.:laugh:

is your canopy the JD factory canopy? I just ordered one today for my 990.

Also how many wheel weights do you have and how much are they each?
Yes, canopy is the factory one. I have 2 weights per side, 110 pounds each, 440 total. 1000 pounds of steel in the ballast box.

The cows get pretty excited when they see the tractor.
In a cow's world:
Tractors=Everything good
Pickups and Trailers=Everything bad

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Real men don't have cabs :thumbup1gif:
Let's all check back with Kenny when he's 60 and it's cold out and see if he still thinks that...

Pete

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Yes, canopy is the factory one. I have 2 weights per side, 110 pounds each, 440 total. 1000 pounds of steel in the ballast box.

The cows get pretty excited when they see the tractor.
In a cow's world:
Tractors=Everything good
Pickups and Trailers=Everything bad
So you have blocks of steel pieces in your ballast box and not concrete? Since I have an x-ray lab I have lots of lead and I have been thinking about melting it and putting it in short lengths of steel pipe and capping the ends and using that. Thus I could add or delete weight as needed.

animals are interesting. God has obviously given them an understanding of things both good and bad!

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So you have blocks of steel pieces in your ballast box and not concrete? Since I have an x-ray lab I have lots of lead and I have been thinking about melting it and putting it in short lengths of steel pipe and capping the ends and using that. Thus I could add or delete weight as needed.

animals are interesting. God has obviously given them an understanding of things both good and bad!
I had a former co-worker plasma cut some 1 inch plate to fit in my box. They are 100 pounds each, so they only consume 10 inches of space, leaving room to put chains, and other stuff. Concrete wasn't quite heavy enough, I really wanted to get up to about 1000 pounds.
Lead would be a fantastic way to go!!!. Is it in plate form, or bricks? I would probably just cut it into chunks and put it in there. Melting it seems like allot of work.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Its all in rolls. Our office got flooded out when Irene came through in 2011 and the sheet rock was all covered with it and of course the sheet rock was destroyed. So it was pealed off and we rolled it up. It is in thicknesses of 1/8" and 1/16" thick. Maybe if I just unrolled it and cut it into the same shape as the bottom of the box like you did with the steel plates that would work. I just thought that if I contained it that would be better. Of course I could cut it into the proper size and then wrap it with something. As you say that would be much easier. So maybe that is what I will do.

I haven't taken the time to weigh it out yet. We had a lot more but I took a batch to a recycle place and got $0.40/lb for it and that was close to 1000 lbs. I was thinking that this would be a better use for it and it would make it so you could remove it if you wanted to. Once you fill these things with concrete you are pretty stuck.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its all in rolls. Our office got flooded out when Irene came through in 2011 and the sheet rock was all covered with it and of course the sheet rock was destroyed. So it was pealed off and we rolled it up. It is in thicknesses of 1/8" and 1/16" thick. Maybe if I just unrolled it and cut it into the same shape as the bottom of the box like you did with the steel plates that would work. I just thought that if I contained it that would be better. Of course I could cut it into the proper size and then wrap it with something. As you say that would be much easier. So maybe that is what I will do.

I haven't taken the time to weigh it out yet. We had a lot more but I took a batch to a recycle place and got $0.40/lb for it and that was close to 1000 lbs. I was thinking that this would be a better use for it and it would make it so you could remove it if you wanted to. Once you fill these things with concrete you are pretty stuck.
Could you just fold them into bricks, and hammer them flat as you go?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Could you just fold them into bricks, and hammer them flat as you go?
Yes that could probably work. Again that makes it easy. I still have to cut them because some are 4' wide and of course they wont fit in the BB. I am going to weigh up what I have so I can get the true amount that I have. They are easy enough to cut up since lead is so soft. We cut them with a utility knife before when we had to have narrower pieces of Sheet Rock.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Arlen, what is between your ROPS just below your canopy?

Also nice looking cattle. I was showing your pictures to my wife this evening. She thought their coats looked gorgeous and warm! You have to have some cold temps there right now.

·
Premium Member
7,452 Posts
Arlen:

You're a better man than me. I'd rather be inside drinking scotch whiskey than freezing my butt off on an open-station tractor in single digit Fahrenheit (a.k.a. Stupidheit) temperatures.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It was a balmy 15F here in Michigan this weekend when my wife took this pic - A shorts day for someone from Minnesota! :laugh:

Anyway, my older twin to your machine, Arlen, was in the woods (waaay in the background) working for the entire family this weekend (wife and both boys out there too). No one who works gets cold...

DSCN2663_stitch (1920x672).jpg

The cattle look great! :thumbup1gif: Hay is very expensive this year - those cows don't know how good they've got it!

MattF

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
It was a balmy 15F here in Michigan this weekend when my wife took this pic - A shorts day for someone from Minnesota! :laugh:

Anyway, my older twin to your machine, Arlen, was in the woods (waaay in the background) working for the entire family this weekend (wife and both boys out there too). No one who works gets cold...
Matt, That is the truth when it comes to work and then as a bonus you have that added burn pile where if needs be you can draw close to the fire and be warm!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts