Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
4720 Review

I would like to start out by saying that I just absolutely love my 4720. I is a powerful yet pretty quiet machine.

Cab- I love the cab especially on those warm humid days, I put the A/C on about the 1st or 2nd notch and im good for the day. I also like the air ride seat and the control locations as well as the radio.

400CX Loader- This loader is a really quick and versatile loader, especially with the 3rd SCV. i am about ready to go to the dealer and buy a grapple bucket for clearing brush. I cant wait till winter to use my snow blade but until then I have been using it to level some ground. I also like the joystick control for the loader.

Lighting- absolutely love the work lights, I can work all hours of the night if I wanted to, but I can do it safe with the 4 ways and turn signal lights.

Quick hitch- works really nice especially since I switch between the brush hog, land rake, tiller, box blade, and rear blade. Its also nice because I can still use my frontier rear wing mower which I use on a weekly basis.

All in all I am very happy with my 4720, It has been busy putting in food plots with a frontier spreader and the john deere tiller. My adventures with the tractor have just started and im sure I will have many questions about it to ask all you guys.

Reactions: BIGTOOLRACK

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
All right and what's not to like? :good2:

One thing to check: The hoses that go up into the cab. Mine were rubbing on the metal and starting to cut the hoses. I put some spiral wrap on them.

Pete

Attachments

Reactions: jfoi

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the heads up!!! i will check that tomorrow

·
Premium Member
2,653 Posts
I'm glad you're enjoying your 4720. The only regret I have now after buying my 4320 is not getting the cab. I used the excuse of too many low limbs around the perimeter of my field.

Is 50 hours the first oil change for the 4720? It was for the 4320.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i already changed it and changed the hydro fluid. All John Deere fluid was put into it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya, do you like it?

how many people on here have had a axle seal leak??? i was told by the mechanic to watch that axle carefully expecially the right front axle

·
Registered
13 Posts
axle leak

ya, do you like it?

how many people on here have had a axle seal leak??? i was told by the mechanic to watch that axle carefully expecially the right front axle
My left front axle started leaking after 600 hrs. I just posted a repair question. The bearings developed some play. I think thats what damaged the seal. I have a front end loader. CX400 with the heavy duty bucket. I get a bit wrought with it. Diging up stumps and stuff. And have hit hard a few times plowing snow. It takes its toll on those axle bearings. I have also gone over the hour limit (by 200 hours) for changing the axle oil. Time goes by to quickly.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
My left front axle started leaking after 600 hrs. I just posted a repair question. The bearings developed some play. I think thats what damaged the seal. I have a front end loader. CX400 with the heavy duty bucket. I get a bit wrought with it. Diging up stumps and stuff. And have hit hard a few times plowing snow. It takes its toll on those axle bearings. I have also gone over the hour limit (by 200 hours) for changing the axle oil. Time goes by to quickly.
Hopefully it won't be too bad to change...What did you usually use for rear ballast, just out of curiosity? I know some people, especially people with a farm background, rely on just fluid in the tires or wheel weights. I don't think these little CUTs handle that like the bigger, older farm tractors. I'm trying to do everything I can to avoid the problem you are having...like 1000 pounds of steel on my 3 point.
About the axle oil, I still don't "get" using hydraulic fluid in the axle. It just seems like it should be gear oil in there....but the engineers know best, right?
Anyway, I hope to learn from your other thread that you started. Good luck, and wellcome.

Ps. Tell us a little more about your tractor, you have more hours under your belt than allot of us. I have 200 hours on mine, in a little less than a year. Had a leaking water pump gasket, but everything else has been great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
4720 is awesome

I too have a 4720 (with cab) and 400CX loader (2012 model with 30 hrs). My experience is identical to yours...I couldn't be happier. I especially love the cab and air ride seat and air condition and heat! I also LOVE the short turning radius...makes mowing/everything easier. The tractor is short enough to manuever in tight spots and the eHydro is the best thing since sliced bread. I came closed to buying a 5195 or 5101 because it has more horsepower for less cost....but it does not have hydro...to me the hydro is the very best feature of the tractor. I love it that you can easily move 1 inch forward/backward with the foot control (ban the clutch!)--handy when hooking up implements. 400CX self leveling loader is awesome. In December, I had a costly incident...wind was blowing probably 40 mph...I got out of the cab to help a motorist who was stuck, but apparently I didn't tightly close the door...the wind caught the GLASS door and swung it open shattering the safety glass into a million pieces....$575 to replace right side glass door, hinges and hardware!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts