Once I stumbled across the issue of, “Oxidation Weld”, I read everything under the sun about it here on GTT. The rig and everything else I purchased in spring/16. This past spring in March, I started the snow blower maintanemce which I always do when the MMM cleaning, painting, oil change, lube etc is complete and front blower comes off. My blower was used for 4 seasons. I store it in my garage which is attached and not heated but is warmer than the outside due to its attachment and being part of the house. I was expecting the impeller upgrade to be a total PITA. Surprisingly, I was able to use a heavy hammer and beat the entire plastic impeller along the shaft and off. There was definitely oxidation on both shaft and impeller. Perhaps being kept in the garage everyday resulted in less, “Oxidation Weld”. I got lucky and A hammer took it off after almost 5 years. I cleaned the shaft very well with very fine sand paper, emery, scotch pad. Used a couple of things to get it nice and clean without creating any slop with the new impeller. First thing I did next was put a zerk on the impeller close to the middle so grease would get both of the impeller internal bushings. The bore hole in the steel impeller has a bushing built in on each side of the bore with the center being wider and not contacting the shaft. I then put anti sieze on the shaft and proceeded to mount steel impeller on shaft and spin it to get the anti sieze grease everywhere possible to help.
After zerk install, I predrilled three holes in the end of each impeller fin so I could bolt on rubber, in my case strips of TSC bailer belt to bring edge of impeller closer to impeller/blower shroud walls and get what many have called super charging the blower. In simple terms more and increased snow lift. I wanted to add that I had pre drilled every thing including small stainless three hole bars so my bailer belt flaps are between the ends of impeller fins and a small metal bar so they could be mounted firmly. I wanted to add that I spun the impeller to find the spot where bare steel impeller was closest to the yellow painted steel shroud. I than held flaps on impeller marked holes made hole in rubber and installed in place. All three are a touch too tight but I did that so they would quickly,”wear“ in place. Also wanted to add that the blower design itself does not center the impeller shaft in a place that keeps the impeller fins equidistant from the walls. Hence limiting how much one can extend the fins to meet the walls for increased lift. With all said, I’m looking forward to seeing how this works out. This pic is also not mine but gives you an idea what I did.
Next, I got rid of the gear chain drive set up and installed the enclosed case replacement. Note, check and add proper oil. Mine came with no oil. The following picture is to show the new oil bath, chain, gear case. Its someone else’s blower pic might be a 47 blower but this is the case I installed. This will solve chain adjustment and lube maintanence and should help quit down blower noise.
While I had everything apart, I also cleaned, lubed, changed oil and touched any paint where needed. I also added the second drift bar and painted the tips of both with John Deere yellow. Also added better shoes to blower. Rearblade has strip of horse stall mat between cutting edge and moldboard.
Since this pic, tires have been changed to Versa turfs too. Hope this info is helpful. Everything I did, I learned here from the guys on GTT. It’s a bit early for a snow blower post but after reading the thread, I felt like posting.