Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
2020 1025R
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the site, so I apologize if there are threads about this topic I have not found yet. I want a 48" box blade and have heard some are not compatible with the JD iMatch, which I have. Any suggestions for brands that are compatible?
Thank you!

Premium Member
Welcome aboard! I dont have a hitch but i have a frontier box blade 48 in. I dont think you would have any problems with it. I found mine on Craigslist so i didn't pay full price. I am sure there wil be more responses in the am.

Good luck!
WB 馃殰馃嚭馃嚥

Registered
I also have a frontier and it is definitely I-match compatible

Many brands specify their imatch (quick hitch) compatibilty

Also re: 48 inch vs 60 inch - it really depends what material you are working with - some posters have said a 60鈥 box of whatever material will stop their tractor in its tracks (1025R)

Premium Member
An imatch is basically a quick hitch and when shopping for an implement just verify if it is quick hitch compatible. A Frontier 48" box blade is compatible. You'll want to get a set of imatch bushings when you purchase one. Most John Deere dealers sell them. That said, there are alot of different brands out there and are compatable. To make things more complicated, the size of your hitch comes into play so make sure it fits the same catefory hitch you have on your tractor. Also, some have scarifiers, or rippers, and some dont. scarifiers gouge and loosen the soil to make scraping it easier. A good curved cutting edge is a good one and the frame needs to be robust to handle the beating those things get. Frintier makes great implememnts that work well with JD tractors but there are lots of other brands out there that are just as good

Registered
I also have a frontier and it is definitely I-match compatible

Many brands specify their imatch (quick hitch) compatibilty

Also re: 48 inch vs 60 inch - it really depends what material you are working with - some posters have said a 60鈥 box of whatever material will stop their tractor in its tracks (1025R)
You don't have to fill it. With a 4 ft you're limited even on surface work. With a 5 you can do more surface work and cover your tracks. If it bogs down release a bit of material and make another couple passes. Even at 80% full you're moving the full capacity of the 4 footer. I'd bet most guys with a 4 ft would get a 5 if buying again.

Registered
I own a Frontier box blade. Fine piece of equipment built very well.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

Registered
I would never consider a 4 ft. I am gonna measure my king cutter today. It may be a 6. I bought it back when it went on the back of a two plow tractor. As AK stated you don't have to drop it down to China so to speak. I remember the ole Jhonny Popper walking around on its hind legs some when it was heavy moving time. So the little 1026R inherited it. We get along fine. It also make a good rear ballast when doing drive/road work.

WoooWeee, just measured mine and it is a 6 footer. No wonder I have to run the little tractor in low range :rolleyes: . I get along with it for rock road maintenance. 5 would be perfect for me but I am not goona mess around and switch.

Registered
I'd bet most guys with a 4 ft would get a 5 if buying again.
Not me. I traded my 5 footer for a 4 footer. I'm much happier with the 4 ft box blade.

Registered
I have a fairly steep gravel driveway and use a 48" box blade. I try and level it out so that it is not digging too deep, by increasing the length of the upper 3pt arm, but on occasion it will bog down my tractor. I've tried adding extra weight to my FEL, but even that doesn't always work. I typically end up just going downhill. The big problem with always going downhill is that eventually most of the gravel is at the bottom of the driveway. If your land is mostly level or slight grade, then I think a 60" would work well.

Registered
2019 1025R + 120 FEL, RC2048 Rotary Cutter, AP10F Pallet Forks, 60D AutoConnect MMM
@BOBL -- Do you own the 4' or thr 5' box blade? What is your experience with it? Every get stopped dead in your tracks?

Premium Member
I have all clay and rock. I have only used the bb for its rippers. Other than that I have no use for it. I use my landscape rake for everything else. Driveway, picking up rocks out of dirt. Leaves. Im going to get wheels for it this year. I can do most things with the fel so the rake sits most times too. Lol

I forgot. I wouldn't go bugger than 4ft. I have had this bb rippers at all depths and I have been stopped by tree roots and big rocks and wrt heavy clay is a bogger too. I feel the 48 is the perfect size for the 1025. My. 02 cents

Good luck!
WB 馃殰馃嚭馃嚥

Registered
I have a 4 ft frontier and it seems perfectly sized for the 1025r and my use. EA has one that is designed specifically for subcompacts that might be worth looking at. The box looks shallower, and it is available in a 54 inch version. I think that the rippers only have 3 positions. I don鈥檛 know if that would be a drawback or not.

Registered
I had a Frontier BB2048L where the "L" meant Limited or something. It is built differently so that it can be lifted higher and is lighter that the Frontier BB2048 was my understanding. I sold it thinking I will never need a box blade again (that was dumb) and now bought a no name 5 ft box blade from our Harbour Freight equivalent store. Its much heavier and doesn't lift as high but should be just fine for my future applications. I have tested it out on some snow and it works great.

Registered
I have a 4 ft frontier and it seems perfectly sized for the 1025r and my use. EA has one that is designed specifically for subcompacts that might be worth looking at. The box looks shallower, and it is available in a 54 inch version. I think that the rippers only have 3 positions. I don鈥檛 know if that would be a drawback or not.
I have the 48" EA blade. It's a very good piece, and fits the imatch with no modifications. It however will not fit the quick hitch from palletforks.com. I would suggest the EA blade though, well built, free shipping, and cheap.

Registered
I'm getting a 54" box blade for my new 1025r, I should have it in about a week. My line of thinking was that if I add wheel spacers to the rear in the future a 54" box will still cover the tire tracks if I end up using it in finer materials where finish could be a concern. Frontier doesn't offer a 54" so I didn't buy it with my tractor, I was able to find a land pride dealer in my area that can get the box blade from another location without a long lead time, plus a little Kubota orange paint never hurt anyone. If time wasn't a factor I would probably have ordered an EA 54" box blade, as they are priced competitively and I did like some of the extra bracing and extra material on the leading edge of the sides. For the amount I plan to use it this probably won't be a factor.

As far as the original topic I have seen others use land pride attachments with the JD imatch without issues, but I cannot personally verify this yet.

Premium Member
You will pay a slight premium for Frontier, but in my opinion, it's worth it. 1 source for parts during the ownership of the implement and Deere has an excellent reputation for parts availability. I bought a pull behind fertilizer spreader from a Box Store and the material gate fell out when it had 250 pounds of fertilizer in it.

NICE........Great way to burn the lawn and make a mess simultaneously. I went back to the big box store to get a replacement gate after I couldn't locate it even after extensive searching and was told "We don't have any replacement parts available." The spreader was still under their "warranty" and the manager ended up giving me another spreader, complete. Now, I have two pieces of junk to get rid of...............

Turned out the spreader was imported from Vietnam and that lesson on saving "a little money" was enough for me. The store still sells the spreader to this day. Good for them,......

By the way, I built a road which is 1,000 feet long and with 115 tons of crushed aggregate using my 1025r with the FEL and a Frontier 48" Box Blade. I wouldn't want one any larger as this one worked well for my purposes. Here's a tip i use, once you are spreading material, pick up a load of stone in the FEL bucket and ALWAYS carry the bucket very low (12" or lower to the ground).

Then you back up to the material pile and lower the box blade into the material and pull the material forward to spread it. Once the box blade starts to get empty, dump the FEL bucket while you are going forward, as it spreads the material better than when you empty the bucket going backwards on the machine. Then back to the material pile and repeat.

If your driveway site permits it, you can get a good dump truck driver to "chain the tail gate" and spread much of the material for you, which will save you time. You will still have to work the material after the dump truck spreads it, but its much faster than working from a single dumped pile. Where I built the road, the dump truck could only dump in one small area due to overhead trees and limbs and also a steep hill the dump truck couldn't get up and down.

This will be good for developing your tractor operating skills. Be patient as it takes time to get the knack for the box blade and crowning the road and getting it just right. When you are done scoring the ground and just want to spread material, flip the scarifiers up side down and pin them in place facing up verses the normal down position. This way, the scarifiers stay with the box blade and they are out of the way. There have been some who remove the scarifiers and pins and then can't find one or more when they need them...........

You will have fun with the new driveway. Seriously consider using crushed aggregate or crushed asphalt for your driveway base. It's readily available (most times) and it compacts extremely well and doesn't "wander" like gravel tends to when driven over it. Over time, the crushed aggregate compacts so hard, it almost becomes concrete.............

Feel free to ask any questions...

Reactions: Jep
1 - 18 of 18 Posts