Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
No idea what the make is.

The question I have is will the gearcase hold oil?

Does it have any in it? - Check it.

Bring a quart of gear oil with you. If it is low or empty, add some. Did it say in the gearcase or is it on the blade pan?

Then connect it to something and spin it.

Still got oil - your good (at least for now)

Trust me, a little bitty seal can cost you lost of dough! (see my thread on "Just picked up a used rotary cutter")

Good Luck!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I looked at one similar to that last week. It was a howes, 60". The one I looked at did not have a straight pc of metal on it. He backed it into a tree and bent the hitch, and wheel set up. The sides were half gone. She was ruff. He wanted $500 so that looks like a bargin. I did find them online $600 brand new but that was in Texas. If the internals were solid as mentioned Id go 250-300.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I had a Howse that looked just like that. My sister and brother-in-law have it now. It has worked well for us for many years and I know we can be hard on equipment sometimes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I got the cutter, but didn't pay 300.00. I pulled the gear box fill plug on site and it was bone dry. The output shaft felt okay, but when I flipped it up on its side and spun the blades, it wasn't moving. I grabbed the output shaft again and was able to feel it slip, which definately what I wasn't wanting to feel. From the looks of this implement, it had possibly only used once likely when it was brand new and someone neglected to put gear oil in it at all. I pulled the front plate off the gearbox when I got it home and as I expected, both gears were toasted. It obviously got pretty hot in there and now needs a complete rebuild or replacement. The paint markings that were on the implement suggest that this was run through an auction. On top of that, I have the tractor side PTO shaft and both sides of the protective sheath. What I don't have is the cutter side of the drive shaft. The guy that had it had bought this in anticipation of purchasing a CUT. He's moving out of state, never got a machine and this had to go. Based on the condition and that I like to tinker, I offered 150.00 and we tossed it in the bed of my truck.

So now, I have a rotary cutter that needs a gear box overhaul and half of a PTO shaft. I've scoured the internet looking for equivalent cutters and at first all I could find that was close was a King Kutter. I dug a bit more because it wasn't a perfect match and I think I've found that it's identical to Northern Tool's NorTrac NorTrac 3-Pt. Roughcut Mower — 45in. Cutting Width, Model# 1104S081 | Trail Mowers| Northern Tool + Equipment

There's not a single mfg stamp or logo anywhere on the cutter or the gear box which is frustrating because I have no idea where to start in finding replacement gears, bearings and seals.

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
You sure you didn't buy that from my brother-in-law? I narrowed his post hole digger and he ran it from new with no gear oil or grease in the joints. The deck looks in nice shape. How much is it to find a gear housing unit and replace it? It may be easier to fit that to what you have.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You sure you didn't buy that from my brother-in-law? I narrowed his post hole digger and he ran it from new with no gear oil or grease in the joints. The deck looks in nice shape. How much is it to find a gear housing unit and replace it? It may be easier to fit that to what you have.
Beat me to it. That's what I would look at doing in this case since you have no idea who really made any of it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I agree on replacing the gear box. if its from Northern Tool it is probably made in china.

agri supply sells a couple of different boxes. Check the currents box input and output shaft size and see if you can get one that is similar. Something like this:

40Hp Gear Box Splined

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
It looks like an Omni 30 gearbox.

Look up the thread "Just bought a used rotary cutter". Welcome to the club.:empathy3::lol:

You didn't get hurt. I would suggest just replacing the gearbox. I will look at my notes and find some of the stuff I had.

Here is a link to another source: "http://www.gaequipment.com/40_HP_Smooth_Input_Gearbox_p/45prc30147n.htm"

Attached is a parts breakdown that I found.

The problem with mine was that the shafts were also rusted/pitted. The likelyhood of getting a seal to stay intact was slim.

Check the bolt pattern and get a new box. A lot less hassle.

The rear half of the PTO shaft can also be bought at Agri-Supply, TSC, and several other places. If the front half is in good shape I go this route. If not, I paid $150 for a complete shaft with the protective cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to go the route of replacing the entire gearbox with a splined input and a complete drive shaft with slip clutch from gaequip. They have a gearbox that comes with a weld-on 12-spline hub for my blade carrier. When I removed the stump jumper/blade carrier assembly, I found that the output on the existing gearbox was a smooth tapered shaft with a carter key. I figure I'll cut the welds on my existing hub and drop in and weld on the new hub to bring it to the current spec as all other cutters. All in all, I'll have 150.00 into the cutter and 340.00 into the new gearbox/PTO shaft and I'll know exactly what I got. You can't find a 48" rotary mower for less than 500.00 around my parts, so I think I did okay.

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
And you have the satisfaction of building it yourself....can't put a price on that.

Enjoy your build / restore....and be sure to post some pictures so the rest of us can enjoy your work. :good2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts