Green Tractor Talk banner
61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Steel plate arrives soon, via USPS. Can't wait to see their faces, 1/2" x 12" x 24" inch shipped in USPS Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Box. Should be interesting. Also ordered some 24" x 24", 0.75" x 9 ga. expanded sheets for other games one being for FEL grill and a chain box that will sit just above the FEL front mount.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Here's a pict of my 12 inch bucket ears. The top edge is not parallel to the pin axis, a little slope up towards front pin. Also note how the plate at the front does not follow the curve of the bushing This is what caused me to increase the vertical offset from 2-1/2 inch to 2-7/8 inch. I could hook the bucket pin but could not swing down without hitting the edge that juts out.
I was having a look at my 12" bucket, its the same. I think if I go down the path of a Quick Coupler, then the grinder will reshape that corner.
Also, the end of the dipper is very square and requires a decent offset, unlike the mini-ex I hired recently. The mini's dipper tapered down to terminate at the bush.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Got the steel today. Here's the box. It's a wonder that the plate did not rip right out of it.

The actual plate, 1/2 inch x 11-7/8 inches x 24 inches. Pretty flat too, maybe out a 1/32 inch in middle of 24 inch direction. Looks plasma cut, can see slight heating along edges. Very nice cut, looks almost machined.

Playing with templates, forget which ones I ended up with so I'll have to pull the bucket and diddle with them again. That of course has to wait, I have a 200 foot trench to dig before Feb 22nd and forecast is rain all week.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
More goodies, 2" OD x 1-1/4" ID DOM, three foot long. Not sure why I need three feet of it, one foot would have been plenty. but the price and shipping was good. I'm sure to need it when making clever backhoe attachments. )

It's used for these, now I have to figure out how to cut the notch for the retaining bolt. If I only had a mill... :( I figure, drill hole, then some angle grinder action. Maybe I'll just see how much to farm it out to someone that has a mill.

Bucket makes a handy temporary chain storage location for two 10 footers and a six footer. The red thing is a log tongs. Have a future plan for a removable expanded metal tray for chain storage, in the front, under the FEL brush guard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just found this thread. I also have a JD 485 backhoe and I would love to have a quick couple for it. I have the 12 inch bucket and a 24 inch bucket and the JD mechanical thumb. Changing the buckets is a pain and of course the thumb doesn't work with the 12 inch bucket. I built a ripper and it works well for digging out stumps, but I don't use it much because it's so much trouble to take the bucket off and install the ripper.
I have been looking at different quick attach schemes for backhoes for a while. I am planning on building one similar to the BX Expanded, so I am really happy to have found this thread.

·
Registered
38 Posts
heh, would love to see Pics of how bad your dipper stick/boom cylinder were abused :)
After finally getting the dipper and boom pulled and stripped down, I found that the dipper pivot sleeve was also bad, as in worn into an oval measuring 1.28 to 1.33 on each side of the boom... The pin which I didn't take a picture of had to be cut out of the assembly because it was bent, and worn into a shape that wouldn't allow it to be pressed/removed with out being cut. So i pulled the boom, and bored out the Dipper Pivot Sleeve, and sleeved it with 4130 Chromoly.

The new dipper side plates are 1/2" a36/g50 plate, the pin bushings are 4130 chromoly, the new replacement pins are as well. I figure the dipper gained about 80 pounds on this "repair".

The unfortunate thing is this... every single pin/bushing set on this BH are in the same shape, worn out, and sloppy. After we are done building our house, complete remanufacturing of this BH seems to be in order...

Please ignore my welds. My generator took a **** so I couldn't use my own equipment. So I used a welder we have at our shop, turns out it had a bad feed liner & in an effort to just get it done I pushed on with constant wire feeding issues...

Just waiting on the seal kit for the dipper cylinder. should be here this week... then at least the BH will be useable...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome @JeffSWMI looking forward to seeing a picture of your ripper and TLB.
Nice work there, @rjt good to have some input from you. That dipper has done some work!

·
Registered
38 Posts
after a long hiatus, I am finally getting some things done now that its hot as the surface of the sun.... I re-eared a 12" (260 Model) backhoe bucket to fit my 48BH, and went to work... only another 100+ feet to go:rolleyes:. then two laterals that will run 10 to the right at the end of this main run, and 50 feet to the right at that end in sight.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Nice one! It sure digs a straight trench. How does the dipper go in the trench, it’d be pretty tight as the pins are long on the 48/448/485 BH.

·
Registered
38 Posts
How does the dipper go in the trench, it’d be pretty tight as the pins are long on the 48/448/485 BH.
The pins are 10.25 long.... so its tight for sure.

the top 2' of sediment/muck soil is hard as stone due to the lack of rain here.. Even with a 12" bucket digging was pretty tough. Once below the top soil, the clay/sand loam is fairly damp and sticky... i need to figure out how to get the bucket to release the swarf. I'm sick of hoping off the hoe to hammer the bucket with a dead blow to get it to release the dirt.... anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Has it got holes unit to release the ‘suction’ effect? And have you tried Lanolin, silicon spray or similar release agent type stuff?
My 13” bucket is a PITA with my clay soil.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have not tried any release agents. To be honest, i have never had luck with "dirt lubes" so to speak, and no holes in the 12". I am not sure that they would help any on semi wet / sticky material, I could see them helping on truly wet material though... my 36" bucket has drain holes but i am not convinced they are good for anything but draining the rain. There is no way that 48 could pick a full load of wet sand or clay in it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I guess that’s where those ‘banana’ buckets with their shallow sides could work.
I try to not over fill my 13” bucket, but if the soil is damp it gets stuck.
@sdavilla has done some trenching, I’m hoping he’ll come with a silver bullet.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Standard 12 inch bucket on my 485, it was two holes on the bottom. My silver bullet was brute force with a crowbar. :) Sometimes the dirt/mud blob comes out with a bang of the bucket on the ground, more often not. I got about 2-3 scoops before needing to clear it when digging in sticky areas.

I had a thought for next time, my cordless rotary/hammer drive takes a spade that is about 2 inches wide. Used it to finish trenching the water line close to outside shop wall. Worked like a treat, just put the drill in pure hammer mode and the dirt just shaved off with little effort. Might also work well to clear out the bucket.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds like holes are not uncommon, but maybe not the mythical "dirt lube" were were hoping for....

I started with a mini sledge, then switched to my 4lb dead blow. 2 or 3 good thunks on the side plate usually drops 90% of the sticky from the bucket. It just sucks getting on and off the machine for things other than repositioning...

61 - 80 of 114 Posts