Green Tractor Talk banner
81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
I’ve got a similar compressed air driven ball vibrator (😳) to this which I’ve thought might help drop the damp/wet dirt, but it’d be hard to mount without ripping it off while digging. Also, I don’t have a compressed air supply on the old 4300.
I think that the solution would be shallow walls or greater taper to the sides.
I got a 12” bucket with my 485 that requires mods to fit. I’m thinking of using the sides and making a 36” mud bucket with some bits and pieces. I figure I might be able to reuse the ears, as the pin spacing isn’t too much less.
Time and space issues getting in the way…

·
Registered
38 Posts
you could always strap a generator and air compressor in the bucket, string an airline over the tractor and down the boom.... Mount the vibrator inside the bucket behind a temporary guard plate.... it'd be a little janky but it would work as a proof of theory

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Getting closer to actually moving forward on this project. Got a tank of Argon and C25 and almost ready to rock-n-roll. Flux core MIG was dirt easy. Gas MIG should be prefect but want to try some TIG first. Reminds me of gas torch welding back in the days of old.

Welding cart is Grizzly bench with a thick floor bracket from a 19 inch electronics rack for the gas support bracket at the bottom. Knew there was a reason I've been saving that bracket for over 15 years. Perfect length and width for supporting the gas tanks. Note the added 5th wheel support. Tried it without but needed a 25 lb lead brick on other side to offset the weight of the tanks. Even with the lead brick, was a little tippy so went with a 5th wheel support. Not happy with strapping yet, too wiggly. I like my tanks held firm.

I looked around at commercial welding carts, and the affordable ones seemed to only support one tank. The two tank flavors seemed too large or too expensive for my needs. This setup works for me. I smell a welding table top in the future. For now, a crap wood bench and top will work until I cause it to burst into flames. :) lol.

Electrical wiring Wood Gas Machine Toolroom

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
It's been reassigned. :) Came to the conclusion that the welder was sitting too low, Needs to raise up about a foot. Then for gas bottles, the rear wheels need to move back about 8 inches. So lots of mods needed before it's useful and my welding project list is growing. In the meantime, it's just the right height to serve as storage platform for a older craftsman table that needs refinishing (yes, another project).

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Shelf

·
Registered
265 Posts
Measure twice, but once. How many twice do you think you’ll measure before cutting 😆
I alway fall back to ‘it’s steel, I can alway put back with the welder what I shouldn’t have taken with the grinder’

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Placed an order for some test pieces. Laser cut. The same in 1/2 inch mild steel would be about $200 delivered for two pairs of each. Might still cut them out myself. Just curious. But I'm eyeing a plasma table... Have to decide, small mill or plasma table. I need a bigger drill press and a mill makes a very nice holes.

Rectangle Font Parallel Logo Number

·
Administrator
21,290 Posts
Next time you need some laser cutting, reach out to me privately, I can refer you to a good company.

Reactions: MattL

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mate, I was thinking about the quick hitch the other day. The pins in my ripper are held with circlips. This allows them to rotate at will in the (unlubricated) bushes of the ripper, I guess they make them for quick hitches, as the pins don’t rotate in the QH.
How are you proposing to make the front pickup channel/hook?
And the rear pin, do you think a lynch or shaft locking pin would be enough to hold it?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Still thinking about the front pickup channel/hook, if I end up laser/plasma cutting it, the cutting operation will give me the rough shape for a file clean up. Rear pin has to be hand removable, so lynch pin or similar.

Circlips would be good for upper pins, once in, they would not need to be removed much. But that means getting slightly long pins and cutting a slot in them.

Meanwhile, thinking about the DOM reinforcing rings. They are about 2 inches wide, with a 1/2 x 9/16 slot for the holding bolt. It would be trivial on a mill, but I don't have a mill (yet). So let's start rigging for some sketchy games. Always wanted an X/Y stage for the drill press. :)

Engineering Computer hardware Electronic engineering Gas Machine

81 - 100 of 114 Posts