Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have myself a 494-A corn planter that I still use on my truck farm. It has needed new opener plates since I got it earlier this year. Any idea on where to get them? I'm repainting and fixing on it this winter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
Do you mean your planter has disc openers instead of runners ?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have two disks on an angle with a pointed shoe thats split where the seed drops. I'm not home right now or I would send a picture.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you zoom in on the picture of it with the green tractor you can see what I mean. I'm not very educated on this planter yet. I'm used to newer ones.

·
Registered
222 Posts
old farm auctions usually have TONS of them laying around. a couple bucks for a bunch cause they arent worth much. Or ask your seed dealer about them, they used to give them as part of your seed order cause their plates were "made for their seed size/type" im not sure that the ones for the old 90 series would be the same to the 7000 series though. Never tried.

A lot of them also get used for yard art, you know, making something funny looking and using them as the eyes or other body parts hah

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
old farm auctions usually have TONS of them laying around. a couple bucks for a bunch cause they arent worth much. Or ask your seed dealer about them, they used to give them as part of your seed order cause their plates were "made for their seed size/type" im not sure that the ones for the old 90 series would be the same to the 7000 series though. Never tried.

A lot of them also get used for yard art, you know, making something funny looking and using them as the eyes or other body parts hah
I think he is talking about the disc openers. Planters in this part of the country used shoe or runners, whichever you want to call them, because of the rocks.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I think I've seen those called a rolling colter. It cuts debris so that it doesn't wind up stopping up the chute the seeds drop from.....I think??

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
They make the trough or "little ditch" in the soil for the seed to drop into. Then the steel wheels on the rear of the planter unit cover the seeds.

They are normally not used in rocky soil.

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
Thje 11" is no longer available according to JD Parts website. I'm sure there are a few different manufacturers that make them. I haven't checked the 14" yet.

·
Registered
222 Posts
AHHH, the actual opener disks, sorry, misread i guess. I dont have any of those old style planters around anymore, but maybe check on the disk openers from the drills? but even if you went with the smaller ones i would think you would just make adjustments for the depth since both were options. Just a thought or two

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
If I have the correct part number, AB12874, they are still available from John Deere. Price that I found is $80.10 each. I'm sure there are aftermarket suppliers that would have them also. Just have to look around some.

That is the complete assembly including bearings and seals.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts