Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just upgraded our 10 year old 50inch plazma TVs to some new 55 inch Sony 4K LED TVs and ..............................WOW! What a next jump up in technology. These are amazing better in picture quality, color brightness, and clarity. I would highly recommend looking into the new 4K TVs if you are thinking about a new television. Are plazmas were definitely starting to degrade. The heat that was generated by the plazmas were huge in comparison to the ones. The new TVs don't even get warm. The new ones don't hardly have a frame around them. We love the new. Anyone else make the upgrade yet?

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I made the perfect upgrade several years ago, and removed the TV from my life!! :mocking: Did that when they went to the digital stuff. The first week was rough, not because there was anything I really wanted to watch, but because I was used to coming in at the end of the day and sitting on my behind in front of the magic box. After the initial week or two, I haven't missed it! :hide:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
More of us should probably be doing this!! ^^^^ Way to go, FarmGirl!! :good2:
For us it is entertainment. We do not go to movies or even rent movies. We do like sports, news, and movies when released to cable. But, I do commend you on your life style change.

But, then again, I have no problem turning it off and playing in the shop.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,136 Posts
I would say we don't watch a lot of TV but when we do I sure like the resolution on the newer TVs. The older I get the more I like.
Good move Randy.:thumbup1gif:

Just saw this from Google....

"The newest standard is officially known as Ultra High Definition, but is commonly just called "4K" because it's roughly 4000 pixels across.
To be precise, a 4K TV screen is 3840 pixels across by 2160 down, for a staggering 8,294,400 total pixels — 4 times the resolution of 1080p."

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
For us it is entertainment. We do not go to movies or even rent movies. We do like sports, news, and movies when released to cable. But, I do commend you on your life style change.

But, then again, I have no problem turning it off and playing in the shop.
As soon as I hit "Submit Reply", I thought "I hope I don't offend anyone with my comment!!" :hide: That certainly wasn't the intent. And, I don't think from your reply you were offended - you're just offering an explanation. :)

We watch too much TV. Generally when I'm watching I'm "multi-tasking" on my tablet. I like watching DIY Network and some HGTV and PBS. SWMBO likes the "someone got killed shows" (Dateline, 20/20, etc.). I find I can "watch" those and still multi-task and not miss a thing!

I do commend and admire FG for tossing her TV! I often wonder why we pay so much for what we get!! That being said, when our 60" Samsung bites the dust, I'm looking forward to going to one of the TV's like you bought, Randy!! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
You are already behind. 8K TV's are coming out.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One

·
Registered
21,560 Posts
As much as I hate watching TV (or the concept of it) I've had not much of a choice spending most days in my chair. I am in the process of upgrading the first LED TV I put in our sitting room this weekend. Because I didn't know if I would want on in our "sitting" or "queit" room I just put a small 29" TV up on the wall. I am upgrading now to a 40".

I had to do all my research on-line and settled with a 1080P TV. The way I see it anything above that would be a waste for me. I only have analog cable but use Netflix quite a bit and I think I might be getting a signal worthy of 1080P - it could quite likely I get streaming at 720P for all I know.

What kind of TV service does one have to receive a 4kP picture? Seems almost impossible to me.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
As soon as I hit "Submit Reply", I thought "I hope I don't offend anyone with my comment!!" :hide: That certainly wasn't the intent. And, I don't think from your reply you were offended - you're just offering an explanation. :)
You are going to have to try way, way harder for any offense to be taken here.

SWMBO likes the "someone got killed shows" (Dateline, 20/20, etc.). I find I can "watch" those and still multi-task and not miss a thing.
Those shows are a magnet for my mother. Personally, they do not have to waste the air time.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are already behind. 8K TV's are coming out.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One
No need to state the obvious with electronic devices. :mocking:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
What kind of TV service does one have to receive a 4kP picture? Seems almost impossible to me.
You do not need 4K service to see the benefit of a 4K TV,,, the 4K TV is a computer,,,
it finds a way to take a lower quality signal, and convert it into a GREAT image.

Do you have any access to TV received with an antenna??
The antenna with local channels will result in the best image possible today,,, I believe,,,

Each of the last two football seasons began with a "new" TV for us.

We are starting this football season with an "old" 4K Sony 55 TV from last year.

It is particularly GREAT!!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
21,560 Posts
I'll admit I know nothing about TV technology. I had just assumed that the TV would display whatever the incoming signal provided.

No TV signals around here - not even radio. Satellite radio in my truck is almost a neccessity unless you want to listen to pre-recorded music.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Definitely agree that this would be a nice upgrade over ten year old plasma's. Which models did you get? While "4K" sources would be required I agree that even HD via cable or sat looks much better on the new displays. While some don't appreciate TV programming or movies it is great entertainment for us. I installed a dedicated home theater in my home 8 years ago and we use it all the time. Have not set foot in a commercial movie theater in years and the last time we did it was an expensive and terrible experience. Enjoy the upgrade!!

JD

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
We have a mix of TV's in our house. Plasma, LED and the old tube TV in the basement. Truth be told, the picture on the plasma trumps the LED, by far. No matter what I do with the LED the picture is just not as good as the plasma. Granted it's not a 4K, but still. For some reason the LED wants to zoom in everything. Kinda fun watching the news and the anchors being scalped. Had the LED TV zoom in the other night to where it was just the anchors head on the screen. No idea why and yes I've spent hours fiddling with the settings. Both TV's are LG, same size even. Only difference is plasma versus LED. I've seen the new 4K's in the showroom and wow what a picture.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,204 Posts
I think we got our TV a few years ago. LCD, HD, Blue Ray, the works...at the time. I don't get to watch it much anymore. Wife and son took over the remote. They watch the judges, 20-20, re-run fight shows and any show related to that kind of thing. Don't much care for any of that as I've seen it so many times I'm sick of it. And then they wonder why I'm on the computer on my free time. On here I can surf any time I want and this computer is MINE. Nobody but nobody gets on it unless I'm off of it and then they have to ask except my wife. She is the only one that has my password. If I do get the remote, I watch the car shows on Velocity channel. Then my wife asks why I watch it as she doesn't like them. Bang, zoom, straight to the moon. :munch: :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
We just upgraded to a new tv. Went from one of the "old school" Sony WEGA 32" flat screens (it's in the basement entertainment center now:)) to a Samsung curved 48" UN48JU7500. Not that the curved is any better picture quality than flat, but supposedly the blacks are deeper because of it. We just liked the looks of it. It's not hooked up yet,as we remodeled the living room and it's not quite done yet. I'm sure it will be a major change, coming from a CRT! I know one thing, it's a h*lluva lot easier moving 37 lbs as opposed to 187 lbs!!

We really aren't tv people. I like most sports and that's something that is great to watch on these new TV's. My wife watches all her tv stuff on her computer. No commercials.:thumbup1gif:
Kind of nice not fighting over the remote.:)

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
We really aren't tv people. I like most sports and that's something that is great to watch on these new TV's. My wife watches all her tv stuff on her computer. No commercials.:thumbup1gif:
Kind of nice not fighting over the remote.:)
We refuse to watch commercials (except for the Superbowl,,,)

Our Roku3 saved us from pulling the plug on non-sports TV. For us, the Roku is a necessity.

We have the DVR in the Dishnetwork box, so that helps with sports TV.

When we are out, people talk about commercials,,,
"Hey did you see the commercial about,,,,,,,,,,,"

We are in the dark, literally, as we have seen none of the ads,,, :thumbup1gif:

The same with ADBlock on the computers,,,
I can not believe anyone still lets those ADs on their computer.

·
Registered
21,560 Posts
We refuse to watch commercials (except for the Superbowl,,,)

Our Roku3 saved us from pulling the plug on non-sports TV. For us, the Roku is a necessity.

We have the DVR in the Dishnetwork box, so that helps with sports TV.

When we are out, people talk about commercials,,,
"Hey did you see the commercial about,,,,,,,,,,,"

We are in the dark, literally, as we have seen none of the ads,,, :thumbup1gif:

The same with ADBlock on the computers,,,
I can not believe anyone still lets those ADs on their computer.
I agree with all your points. I ansolutely refuse to subject myself to all those mind numbing TV ads. It really shows the mentality of the general public if those ads actually work - which they must if they spend the millions of dollars to air them.

We also have a Roku3 which is the best money I spent since I've been holed up in this chair. I don't watch any sports and never did. Netflix is the best bargain going plus some of the other Roku channels are great also.

I then have a Tivo unit hooked to our other TV. We do like to watch some of the newer shows like NCIS etc. so these are all set to record automatically then watch them a couple days after airing while fast forwarding through the commercials.

I still have analog cable because I absolutely refuse to pay the company $70-$80 per month to feed me ads.

Also agree with the AdBlock on my PC.

Back toward the topic at hand - I managed to get my new TV hung yesterday (40" 1080P). It's a huge upgrade from the 29" 729P that it replaced. I am actually surprisd that the analog cable stations actually look better for some reason - I had thought the larger screen size would just amplify the poor picture quuality but it certainly doesn't. Now I will have to spend a couple days with the new TV as my hands/wrists are totally useless after mounting the TV.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts