Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After our ice storm during limb cleanup, I managed to poke a hole in my grill screen and the radiator. A new radiator was only $400 (I expected a lot more) and the grill screen was $128. The miscellaneous hood latch parts were under $25. It was a pretty easy job overall. It only took 3 hrs and some of that time was spent looking for tools in my messy shop. Now I just have to wait for the grill screen and hood latch parts to come in to finish up. I cannot imagine trying to do this on a 4M with the non-detachable loader. It would have been a lot more difficult.

The damage:

The changeout: Remove the battery and unhook the hydraulic lines to the hyd cooler and unbolt it from the frame.

Tip the hyd cooler forward which gives enough room to remove the radiator.

Re-assemble.

I ran it for about 45 minutes and drove it around checking for leaks and adding a bit more coolant.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I've been very concerned about poking a hole in my 4720 radiator, reading this thread has made me even more so during my huge tree cleanup (still in progress) :unsure:. Maybe I should add expanded mesh to my guard....

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Maybe I should add expanded mesh to my guard....
I’m going farther than that, 1/4” steel plate to cover the entire front of the brush guard and bolt to the uprights of the brush guard. I feel lucky it was just the radiator and not both it and the hydraulic oil cooler! I‘ll only put the plate on when I’m doing grapple work so nothing can reach the grill again. I still have a lot of brush to move to the staging area and then feed the fire next fall. I’ll post a photo when it’s done.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
always like to see a job go well for one of us!
Me too. It actually went easier than I thought it was going to. Finding all the tools I needed in my shop was the only difficulty. It’s way past time for a bit of organization out there.

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,457 Posts
I ran it for about 45 minutes and drove it around checking for leaks and adding a bit more coolant.
Good job Lee, nice write up too.
Liquid Font Circle Electric blue Glass

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed the new grill screen today. Sorry, no photo. It looks like the front of a new tractor, which was the goal. It was certainly much easier to change out the radiator. Getting the grill screen tucked in around the headlights and lining up all the screws took a lot of time and patience. After everything was in place, then I could tighten everything up.

The moral of the story is to keep limbs or sticks out of the grill and radiator.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This 1/4” steel plate should keep limbs out of the grill and radiator when using the grapple, hopefully.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think that would work in Mississippi. Not enough air flow

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think that would work in Mississippi. Not enough air flow
Not sure why it wouldn’t be. The plate is mounted in front of the brush guard. It is 6” out from the top of the grill screen and 8” at the bottom. That should be a good buffer of air and the fan should have no problem pulling enough air flow through the entire grill screen like normal to cool it. The fan is what creates most of the airflow, as tractors don’t move fast enough to force feed air through the radiators. I would agree if the plate was right next to the grill screen and all it really had to draw from was the sides of the grill.

The plate will only be on when I’m grappling brush. Otherwise it will be off. Now, if I’m wrong and it does run hotter than normal or overheat, I’ll be sure and post the results so someone else doesn’t build something that overheats their machine.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
An update. I’ve run the tractor 40 hrs since putting the steel plate in front of the brush guard. The temperature runs where it always did without it on. It does not appear to impede airflow. It has deflected quite a few limbs as the paint is scratched up now.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts

I like it! reminds me of this!

Reactions: JDLTG
1 - 13 of 13 Posts