Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, been a while since my last post. Spent ALL DAY (12 hrs) on the tractor over Labor Day and 8 hrs the Sat before putting in food plots on our hunting lease. LOTS of driving on logging roads, very bumpy and lots of looking back (killer on my neck after fusion surgery). I'm considering the 4R seat for my tractor and was curious if another 4M (4044, 4052, 4066) owner had done the swap. JD has the full unit (mechanical suspension, seat, etc) for about $850 and judging by the bolt pattern it SHOULD bolt straight up, or only need a simple bracket made. Parts guy said the part numbers were the same for EU spec tractors, so I assume the mounting should be the same.

Anyone else done a 4m to 4R seat and suspension swap?

Also, look for my 4044M 5 year review to be posted soon.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a 4R and got the swap to the air ride seat. The dealership returned the suspension pieces from the original 4R seat. The actual seat part is re used - only the suspension part is replaced.

I can't imagine bouncing around on that thing all day with a good back, much less a sore or hurt back.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 4R and got the swap to the air ride seat. The dealership returned the suspension pieces from the original 4R seat. The actual seat part is re used - only the suspension part is replaced.

I can't imagine bouncing around on that thing all day with a good back, much less a sore or hurt back.
If you’re on flat ground, and/or the rear implement is down, it’s not terrible. But when you have to do a lot of traveling, especially over rough ground, it’s murder.

The hole pattern looks very close, especially on the rear bolts (there’s only 4). I’m going to order it this weekend and post my findings here for anyone else looking to do the swap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you’re on flat ground, and/or the rear implement is down, it’s not terrible. But when you have to do a lot of traveling, especially over rough ground, it’s murder.

The hole pattern looks very close, especially on the rear bolts (there’s only 4). I’m going to order it this weekend and post my findings here for anyone else looking to do the swap.
Did this work out for you? I'm looking to do the same on my 4052m.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it did, but not the way I was planning. My wife went with me to the dealership when I looked at a 4R to see if the seat swap would work. She asked me how much the swap would cost and then what the other differences are between the R and my M. I told her all the differences and she said, “Why don’t you just trade your tractor on an R?”

Yes ma’am!

So I traded my 4044m on a new 4066R. So I did upgrade the seat....along with the rest of the tractor!

Sorry I can’t be of more help on the swap, but based on the measurements that I took before I traded my tractor I believe that it will work.

I can tell you for sure and certain that it is most definitely worth it, especially if you spend all day on the tractor. It’s probably the single biggest thing I appreciate about the new tractor over my M. That is no exaggeration

·
Premium Member
10,526 Posts
Now that is how you do it!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Well, it did, but not the way I was planning. My wife went with me to the dealership when I looked at a 4R to see if the seat swap would work. She asked me how much the swap would cost and then what the other differences are between the R and my M. I told her all the differences and she said, “Why don’t you just trade your tractor on an R?”

Yes ma’am!

So I traded my 4044m on a new 4066R. So I did upgrade the seat....along with the rest of the tractor!

Sorry I can’t be of more help on the swap, but based on the measurements that I took before I traded my tractor I believe that it will work.

I can tell you for sure and certain that it is most definitely worth it, especially if you spend all day on the tractor. It’s probably the single biggest thing I appreciate about the new tractor over my M. That is no exaggeration
Congratulations!! Gotta love that new tractor smell!! Did you get the air ride seat or just the standard suspension seat? I have the air ride on my #R and as you said it is the best feature on the tractor!!

Either way, ENJOY!!

Jeff

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks! That's definitely the best way to fix the problem. I traded my 3033r for the 4052m. The only thing I miss is that seat! I'll have to see if I can make one fit :)

·
Premium Member
10,526 Posts
I'll have to see if I can make one fit
It seems like they come with a whole new tractor underneath. Pretty easy modification and you don't even need tools!

Reactions: SRG

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would like to swap the sear on my 4066m. Would really like to hear from someone if it will work. The bolts used to secure the seat frame to the floor pan are the same a 8m x 20. The part number is different for each tractor but the bolt description is the same.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
for you guys that have the 4 series air ride seat........does it have the option where it can rock back and forth like my 5 series? ....or is it just a air spring under it?

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Just an air spring under it. It will slide forward/backwards, but that is it. Height is not adjustable, per se, but pumping air into the bellows will raise it.

Dave

Reactions: ttazzman

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Just an air spring under it. It will slide forward/backwards, but that is it. Height is not adjustable, per se, but pumping air into the bellows will raise it.

Dave
thx for the reply .....been thinking about getting a cabbed 66hp 4 series...saw they have air seats availible but it looks different than the one in my 5105m .....the cradle rocking action was new to me but it really helps dampen forward and reverse body movement in addition to the air doing the verticle motion and shocks.....also been thinking about adding air to my 4500 as the spring suspension seems to be getting tired

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
thx for the reply .....been thinking about getting a cabbed 66hp 4 series...saw they have air seats availible but it looks different than the one in my 5105m .....the cradle rocking action was new to me but it really helps dampen forward and reverse body movement in addition to the air doing the verticle motion and shocks.....also been thinking about adding air to my 4500 as the spring suspension seems to be getting tired
Air ride seat is standard on the 4066R cab.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ttazzman

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just ordered a new 4066m, I do not like the seat on the 4066m so the dealer suggested BLV10401A01 premium seat kit upgrade... not cheap not air ... I have spent hours trying to find a photo or more specific information on the seat and it is impossible. I have found it on several sites about $900 but all they have is a line drawing (like attached) But no specific information. The dealer will take off the factory set up and replace it with this one... I have had no luck in getting any information on the seat other than just the drawing.. No specification or explanation.. . The Air Ride seat was a bit more than I wanted to spend If anyone knows the magic to get more information on this seat please let me know... The factory seat on the 4066m is a real pain in the Axx.. I sent a note to John Deere Customer service they sent me a 4066 brochure and said that it looks like the one on the cover tractor might be it... but no close up, or detailed information available... then they closed the inquiry .. go figure. Hopefully one of you folks have a better way to look at it..

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed the BLV10401 seat on my 4066m and it was a super big improvement. Riding for hours on the original seat will absolutely wear you out.. Not sure what the A01 is in the part number..? What kind of information are you looking for on the seat? There are four bolts that hold it to the deck plate the same holes used for the basic seat. It will come with a longer wire harness for the seat sensor. Unless your JD dealer is giving you credit for the old seat You should keep it.. If you think the seat is bad on the tractor now have a sit down on the 485A backhoe seat. I'm hoping to use the old tractor seat in place of the backhoe. Not tried to see if the holes line up. Also not sure if Jeere is charging you to install the new seat but it was really easy to install.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I installed the BLV10401 seat on my 4066m and it was a super big improvement. Riding for hours on the original seat will absolutely wear you out.. Not sure what the A01 is in the part number..? What kind of information are you looking for on the seat? There are four bolts that hold it to the deck plate the same holes used for the basic seat. It will come with a longer wire harness for the seat sensor. Unless your JD dealer is giving you credit for the old seat You should keep it.. If you think the seat is bad on the tractor now have a sit down on the 485A backhoe seat. I'm hoping to use the old tractor seat in place of the backhoe. Not tried to see if the holes line up. Also not sure if Jeere is charging you to install the new seat but it was really easy to install.
Thanks for the reply Cabinstill, Thanks for the reply and it's good to hear your happy with it. As for the PN, the Ao1 just happened to be on the line drawing I was sent... but I now understand it is not part of the part number. The dealer is giving us the factory seat that I wll put away.. The dealer was the same price of any of the prices I have seen on line. ( I think I paid $828.00 ... so I just figured if they will do it at the same price and install it... I'm good with that... My new tractor should be here before the end of the year..
Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts