Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

My battery sounds like it's dying.... what have you all had good luck with in terms of brand, CCA, etc?? Are Optima's all they're cracked up to be??

-Jer.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don't know how many have cracked but I have had high failures with poor support from Optima my NAPA dealer quit carrying them because of too many failures.

So far I am having good success with Odyssey batteries and the rebadged DieHard Platinum (same thing).

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
On another off road vehicle forum I hang out on they also swear by Sears Die Hard Platinum (oddesey).

Every vehicle I have ever built has always had a Optima Yellow top. I have never had an issue with an optima that was used often. But I have had yellow tops die when not used for 2 months in the winter. I am not sure a battery tender is good for optimas so I never put it on them long term. BUT, even if you kill a yellow top, its fine to be charged again and it has no memory of being drained. So if you go optima, I would go yellow or blue top.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I stuck a red top Optima in my 4520.. it was not a direct fit.. i had to do a little trimming to get it to fit with the latch.. BUT other then that its been starting like a champ up here when its -40 all winter. That factory POS wouldn't think of turning over the jd in -20 weather.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Since the 4200 - 4400 series use a goofball battery size, I just go to Deere and get a new one. The CCA's are more than the nearest beat-to-fit-paint-to-match battery from Diehard, et al. At least Deere finally went to sealed maintenance free batteries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts