Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one day about a week ago I go out to my shop and find a green puddle under my 4520(a 2009 w/166 hrs.). It started high near the top radiator hoseand ran down the front cover to the floor. Man, I was fumed. I finally get something new and it needs work. Anyways, the dealer comes and gets it to perform the warranty work. No big deal so far.
I called them a few days later for an update and they tell me the head is off it because there is a JD bulletin about coolant leaks between the head and the front cover. The water outlet on the head needs to be milled flat and an updated gasket put in between the two.
My tractor has been violated.
Anyways, 4x20 owners watch your stuff carefully before warranty runs out.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
That sucks about your rig; but fortunately it's being covered under warranty.

The 4200 - 4400 series tractors like the one I have had a problem where the battery would leak acid causing a failure of the hydraulic oil heat exchanger. I was bush hogging a neighbor's property one day when all of a sudden there was hydro oil spewing forth from the front of the tractor. So there is my new toy sitting in the neighbor's yard being rained on for a couple of days until the dealer could come get it. Fortunately my problem was covered under warranty; but it sure does suck when something like that happens.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had my 4520 in for a new front axle and I went to see how it was going to find the same thing. It's a 3 dollar o-ring that they have to pull the front of the motor out for. Go figure. Oh well it dosent leak coolant anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Welcome to Deere Talk ejb17.

That sucks to hear your machine is getting tore apart.

I hope they have this corrected in the new machines. Deere has beeusing the same motor in the 4x20 machines for some time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Leaks and issues like that are one reason I prefer to buy new-warranty. Seems like if there is to be an issue, it will be in the first year or so. Went out to the shop yesterday and spotted a small puddle of hdro fluid under the 3520. Well, as anyone who has had to trace a very small leak knows, fluids migrate back and forth as they drip down over the various parts and the breeze from the radiator fan tends to send them in odd places. Think I finally found it coming from where the rubber manifold attaches to the top of the power steering pump. Cleaned the area, moved the band clamp around a bit, and tried to get it to do it while I was watching. Nope, it's one of those things that only happen when your back is turned. Guess I'll take the tractor out and work it in the cold to see if it'll repeat. As it is I hate to call the dealer and say I HAD a leak, fix it.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts