Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a JD 855 4x4 that recently started having problems. When backing up in 4x4 there is a audible popping sound from the front wheels/ axle. I can feel the pop in the floor board as well. This does not happen when the tractor is in 2 wheel drive. Do any of you have a clue what this might be?

·
Administrator
17,514 Posts
Welcome to GTT,
Sounds like a broken tooth in the front gear set, I'd change and inspect the fluid, and jack up the front so you can spin the wheels and listen.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Welcome to GTT,
Sounds like a broken tooth in the front gear set, I'd change and inspect the fluid, and jack up the front so you can spin the wheels and listen.
Also check the U joints in the front drive shaft. Hold the yoke in one hand and move the shaft with your other hand. Try to move the shaft in all directions especially clockwise/counterclockwise. Having the front end jacked up will help. If you find any kind of play it needs a new joint.

Wear gloves and be careful not to pinch your fingers.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Make sure all your lug nuts are tight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the input all. I had the chance to hop under the tractor today and this is what I found...

One of the lugs was loose. I tightened hoping it would be a easy fix. Unfortunately, this was not the case. Still have an issue.

I jacked up the front end and when in 4x4 the wheels spin ok for a bit, then they bind and will not spin. I change direction of spin and it will spin for a bit then bind up again. Also of note, the wheels spin in opposite directions (when I spin the front left wheel clockwise, the front right wheel spins counter clockwise). Is this the differential?

Does this sound like a broken gear? Does anyone have a clue what this might cost to fix?

Can I run the tractor in 2 wheel while I am waiting to get this taken care of or should I lay off of it until it is fixed.

Thanks

·
Administrator
17,514 Posts
Y22:

Wheels spinning opposite is 100% normal, yes it sounds like a broken tooth-maybe more at this point. Even in 2WD your risking more damage since the gears are still spinning. Cannot comments on cost, sorry.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Y22:

Wheels spinning opposite is 100% normal, yes it sounds like a broken tooth-maybe more at this point. Even in 2WD your risking more damage since the gears are still spinning. Cannot comments on cost, sorry.
No way of knowing the cost until you open it up.

I'll agree continuing to use it will cause more damage.

If it is binding when you turn one wheel while the other turns opposite it is most likely broken spider gears. If it binds when turning the drive shaft it's most likely the ring and pinion. Either way broken teeth will bounce around inside causing more damage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts