Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My FIL still has remnants of the old farm laying around up by the shed, he mentioned that this old Ford rotary cutter would be a nice fit behind my 2025R, now that first cutting hay is done and we have some time I am going to try and get it restored and put back into service. It does need some sheet steel welded on the deck so first step in the process will be cleaning it up so we can see just how much it actually needs. The gearbox turns and the locking collar on the pto shaft functions normally after a little spray last night. It will get new gear oil before first real use. This poor cutter has been borrowed and broken by everyone up and down the valley over the years but has always been repaired and is in still very good working condition, it has laid in the weeds for now close to 15 years and it's time to get it back in the fields. :good2: I'll keep pics coming as progress is made.

I'm contacting one of the mods to fix my mistake, it is a 5' rotary cutter, not a 6'

Attachments

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Man that looks to be in good enough shape to grease the universal joints, check the oil in gear box, and head to the field.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man that looks to be in good enough shape to grease the universal joints, check the oil in gear box, and head to the field.
Almost, the deck is pretty rough, mainly just want to reinforce it so the gearbox doesn't fall through :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will look nice behind your tractor.. The sheet steel should be an easy fix for you.

You know you're gonna have to keep it Ford blue just for sentimental reasons.
It will be an easy fix :good2:

And yes, my FIL and I have already discussed the paint, Ford blue it will be.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just realized that I have never had any updates on this project.
First came haying season and then we got busy with all the gardens and such, Empire Farm Days and a regular vacation.

Once I finally got this cutter cleaned up the deck was in much worse shape than we had initially thought, we decided to have a friend of the family who happens to be one of the best welder/fabricators in our area come look at it for us. It has been decided that pretty much the entire deck would have had to be replaced along with some more than minor fixing on other parts, not to mention we didn't know until my BIL (who is the family mechanic) said the gearbox was shot. Unfortunately we have decided to scrap it, not worth putting 7-800 dollars into when a new one is not much more than that. Sorry for the delay in updating.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
I just realized that I have never had any updates on this project.
First came haying season and then we got busy with all the gardens and such, Empire Farm Days and a regular vacation.

Once I finally got this cutter cleaned up the deck was in much worse shape than we had initially thought, we decided to have a friend of the family who happens to be one of the best welder/fabricators in our area come look at it for us. It has been decided that pretty much the entire deck would have had to be replaced along with some more than minor fixing on other parts, not to mention we didn't know until my BIL (who is the family mechanic) said the gearbox was shot. Unfortunately we have decided to scrap it, not worth putting 7-800 dollars into when a new one is not much more than that. Sorry for the delay in updating.
:dunno:i don't know how i would of missed this thread way back when u started it:banghead::unknown:

so i heard thru the grapevines u down went and helped the economy:gizmo: out some:lol: so where's the pic on the new brush hog at-huh:mocking: i'll be waiting on ya. unless someone else starts it like i had to have done for me:banghead::laugh:

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:dunno:i don't know how i would of missed this thread way back when u started it:banghead::unknown:

so i heard thru the grapevines u down went and helped the economy:gizmo: out some:lol: so where's the pic on the new brush hog at-huh:mocking: i'll be waiting on ya. unless someone else starts it like i had to have done for me:banghead::laugh:
I'm actually picking it up today hopefully, they are supposed to setting the 3 point in the lower setting for me, then I will post pics. Then I will go find some field to cut, even if it's not ours. :laugh:

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
I'm actually picking it up today hopefully, they are supposed to setting the 3 point in the lower setting for me, then I will post pics. Then I will go find some field to cut, even if it's not ours. :laugh:
:nunu::banghead: now when i hook up to my 4 fter i will only think of u and ur new 5fter-:banghead::banghead: i am truly jealous of ya:lol::lolol:but am glad for ya too at the same time:munch:i hope ya understand what i'm trying to say:mocking:

its the same thing with my 5 ft pull behind on the jd 50-i think as it doesn't cover both tires-and as i make round and round-oh if i only had a 6 or even better a 7fter:laugh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts