Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to compile parts for an off season rehab on my 50” mower deck. I have 2, 1 of which I’ll choose as the lucky one depending on assessed condition. Going after the smaller parts now, so far I’ve have collected both sets of gauge wheels, mulching blades and the speed up pulley upgrade. All parts needed seem fairly attainable, but my main question/concern would be what to do with the spindles? They look to be rebuildable, or should I just replace them in their entirety? I know nothing of the prior service history as the deck was new to me last season. I’ve tried the search function on this form but came up with little clues as to what to do about paint.....maybe I haven’t looked hard enough. Not looking for showroom quality. I’ll likely have it bead blasted and just rattle can the top surface with JD yellow. Haven’t quite found any decisive info on what would be best for the under side either..... looking for any input you fellas are willing to part with
Tip, tricks, dos, dont’s
Thanks
J

·
Super Moderator
6,037 Posts
What tractor is deck for?

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
as long as none of the spindles look damaged they should be fine, new bearings and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
12,682 Posts
Poping bearings in is easy except for removal of the center snap ring.

The 50 is the best deck you can get for a 318 by any measure

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
15 Posts
I refurbed my 50" deck this spring.I stripped the deck, sand blasted, primed with rustoleum rusty metal primer, then painted the top with john deere yellow paint. The underside was also blasted and primed, then I spayed it with black bed liner. I did the same to a 48" deck last year. Look on Weekend Freedom Machines

Bll

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I refurbed my 50" deck this spring.I stripped the deck, sand blasted, primed with rustoleum rusty metal primer, then painted the top with john deere yellow paint. The underside was also blasted and primed, then I spayed it with black bed liner. I did the same to a 48" deck last year. Look on Weekend Freedom Machines

Bll
How’s does it seem to be holding up, do you get a lot of grass clippings sticking to it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts