Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to finish up my 50 hour hydraulic oil change and I cannot get the 6 mm Allen head loosened. I am now using a 1/2 breaker bar and it still will not budge. Has anybody else run into this problem. I don’t want to round the Allen head inside the bolt.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I am trying to finish up my 50 hour hydraulic oil change and I cannot get the 6 mm Allen head loosened. I am now using a 1/2 breaker bar and it still will not budge. Has anybody else run into this problem. I don’t want to round the Allen head inside the bolt.
Sometimes a little shock therapy works. If there is room, tap the head of the Allen wrench with a hammer whilst applying moderate force to the lever end.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the left tire off so I do have room. I banged on the bolt with a hammer and still no luck. During manufacturing could it get crossed threaded or somehow over torqued

·
Registered
764 Posts
Right tighty, lefty loosey?
Seems obvious, but sometimes when working from underneath, its easy to get turned around. If it's underneath, I don't know your machine.

Try tapping the Allen key like mentioned above.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A 16 inch breaker bar should easily loosen the bolt. I am afraid to pull left any harder as it probably round over the Allen head inside the bolt

·
Registered
764 Posts
What is that for? (the Allen head in the pic)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 6 mm bolt holds the hydraulic magnetic suction screen. Watching Tractor Time with Tim he is using a 1/4 inch wrench over the Allen head socket to loosen. That is how easy it’s suppose to be. Not for me

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hmmmm. Mine came off pretty easy. Its the allen head bolt to get at, and clean, the trans filter screen. You try hittin it with PB Blaster or Liquid torch first? Maybe you can add a little heat to it? Though i think the rupper hose may be a bit close. Also if the worst happens and you strip the allen you could always weld a nut onto it (if you have a welder) in order to get the bolt out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
In my experience, I have never rounded the inside hex of an allen bolt if it is fully inserted, I usually round the hex wrench or twist it. Just make sure that there is no paint preventing full seating of the wrench in the bolt. If the wrench is partially in that is when bolt rounding can occur.

As I remember, there is a lot of paint on that bolt, both inside the hex and around it. Try getting some of the paint off with a small chisel around the outside, and a pick to clean up the inside. The tapping may also help loosen the bolt too. (like the impact advise just previously).

Using a good quality allen key is also "key" in not stripping either wrench or bolt. Once one or the other starts to strip you're going to have trouble, so go cautiously.

(note the reference to "key" ... maybe I should post it in that infamous thread too. :lolol:)

But seriously, be careful.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit. One other thing, if your allen key is already part rounded, that won't help the issue, just make it worse. Maybe also grind down the tip to a good area, but grind lightly so you don't lose hardness.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Put some heat to it.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I assume you're using a bit socket on a breaker bar? I would insert the socket and tap it in fully with a hammer, then attach the bar and haul on it till it either breaks the head off or it comes loose. If it does break, just file it flat, center punch it and drill out the old bolt and tap it for a new one. Then just get a new bolt and put it in. if it comes out in one piece then great, i would put a little oil on the threads or some anti-seize to keep it from doing that again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking at the sides of the bolt it really looks like a lot of paint. My tractor is 2018 1025r . I cannot see a line between the bolt and the side. Thinking about taking a hacksaw right up to the edge and take a few cuts around the bolts. I am thinking it’s the paint that is holding the bolt in place.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunately that didn’t make a difference. The threads on the bolt must of got mangled when installed at the factory. Arghhhhhh. I need to use the tractor so I have no choice but to add hydraulic oil. Got the filter changed and that was it.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Hate to hear you didn't get the 6mm bolt out.

Thinking first time I did mine ,had the same thing to happen. Could not get the 6mm hex on the bolt, I was about to get a pair of visegrips on the sides of the bolt head and while using the visegrips inserted the 6mm wrench and turned both at the same time .

Along with it being a PIA location , I have the BH subframe in my way.. This time took a dremel and ground out the area so hex wrench know goes straight in to keep from rounding the inside fitting.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 1/2 Milwaukee impact wrench but I figured that would either break the bit socket or spin the Allen socket inside the bolt, thus ruining the 6mm bolt. Don’t have time for that nonsense right now. Very frustrating this bolt should easily come out with a 1/4 inch socket wrench. So I am going to have to dump the hydraulic oil again and most likely break the bolt with the impact driver, drill it out and rethread it. Ugh. Good news I should be able to reuse the oil.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts