523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 gallons Trans oil..$35
12T Bottle Jack......$40
2T jack stand........$13
24 Qt Drain Pan.....$35
Filter Wrench.........$13
Funnel..................$4

Dealer threw in a filter when I bought it.

an Engine oil filter.........Priceless

Of course it's too late to get back to town.

To be continued.......

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
12,816 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,923 Posts
$35 for 5-gal of hydraulic oil? Was that Low-Vis Hy-Gard?
Yea if he paid that price where is the dealer, I want some. Guessing not JD brand.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Yeah I guess we are all doing a double take on that. Thats $50 less than I paid for 4 1Gal containers...:question:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah I guess we are all doing a double take on that. Thats $50 less than I paid for 4 1Gal containers...:question:
Ditto...

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I think I paid $ 80 for a 5 gallon pail. :unknown:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the oil at Tractor Supply. Traveller Brand, but J20C compliant.

You guys have me a litlle nervous on this purchase. They sell a lot of it. Risk involved here?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,875 Posts

You guys have me a litlle nervous on this purchase. They sell a lot of it. Risk involved here?
Still under warranty?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Copy that. Pick some up when I get the filter this afternoon. Thanks.

Reactions: dieselshadow

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,875 Posts
Gallon jugs cost more but are a whole lot easier to handle, store and I don't think you need 5 gallons although it is nice to have a gallon sitting around for when you DO bust a hose or fitting. You would probably be ok with the other oil but it may be hard to convince JD if needed.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Still under warranty?
Yes, only has 60 hours on it.
Go with JD oil.
That's my thought on the issue. I'd wager the TSC brand might even be the same oil manufacturer as JD - however - under warranty, using JD products exclusively will eliminate any questions. I will buy 100% of my warranty period parts, oil etc directly from the dealer I bought the tractor from for that reason. After the warranty is over, I'll look into the aftermarket products. Sometimes OEM is superior, and often OEM is overpriced, rebranded after market. Better to be cautious under warranty - plus it's good to have the guys at the dealer recognize you when you walk in the door as a loyal customer rather than having seen you once when you bought, then only when there are problems after that.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,875 Posts
That's my thought on the issue. I'd wager the TSC brand might even be the same oil manufacturer as JD - however - under warranty, using JD products exclusively will eliminate any questions. I will buy 100% of my warranty period parts, oil etc directly from the dealer I bought the tractor from for that reason. After the warranty is over, I'll look into the aftermarket products. Sometimes OEM is superior, and often OEM is overpriced, rebranded after market. Better to be cautious under warranty - plus it's good to have the guys at the dealer recognize you when you walk in the door as a loyal customer rather than having seen you once when you bought, then only when there are problems after that.
Good point!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
153 Posts
coming up on my 50hr service also and it seems the JD oil is the way to go for all the reasons already stated .Not that the thought hadn't occurred to save some cash but
My other thought is considering all the thousands of dollars this thing cost to buy, warranty or not, am I really going to risk damage or even a mild performance drop to it to maybe save $50.00??
I think not!!
I'd be so mad at myself if for some reason using cheaper oil ended up costing me downtime and repairs to the hydraulic system which seems to go thru everything on this tractor except the engine and maybe the left headlight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts