Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received the invoice for the 50 hour service on my new 1025R and I think I just got taken for a ride - If not the actual cost, certainly for the honesty of how their charges work... But what do you guys think? Here is the story:

So my new 1025R leaked coolant out of the reservoir since the cap design was just a "pop" top with no seal (Common issue - see many threads on it). So I called them and they ordered me the replacement parts for the new design under warranty. Service called me a few weeks later when they had the parts, and asked when they could schedule a time to "come out" and fix the unit under warranty. While I was scheduling that, I asked what it would cost to do my 50 hour service at the same time since I was at about 43 hours. She said "it is just a trans fluid and filter change, so it should only be about an hour of labor, a filter and oil." So I said - sure... There was no mention of a service call fee or anything like that...

Now I received the bill - the labor was $125, plus parts was $79.60 (I thought parts were high too, but it is what it is) - More than what she told me but still within reason of what she said. However, in addition to all of this, they hit me with a $55 service call fee on top of all this, so with tax, it comes to $274.40. I called them about the service fee since I was led to believe that they were coming out to perform the warranty work anyways, and that there wouldn't be any other fees.

When I called to inquire, they told me - "there is always a service call fee, even on warranty work." Well, if I had known that, I would have just put it in my trailer and dropped it off by them and saved the $55. It all just seemed terribly misleading.

So, what are your thoughts? Is this the norm you guys are seeing on (A) the cost for the 50 hour service, and (B) the adding of a service call fee, even on warranty work? Or am I just over-reacting?...

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
the parts seem normal, but the other stuff seems off.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
My dealer does not do field repairs, and $55 is much less then pickup and drop off. Those gees not beimg included is all over their website and ive seen it many times on mother deeres site. If it wasnt commumicated that is a failure of the dealer but is standard operating proceedure.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
Doesn't suprise me. The service fee is kind of excessive. They were comming anyway, you had them do service, did he clean the rear sump screen? That is what i would ask. :dunno::dunno:

Reactions: MFreund1

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Don't know about anybody else but I always ask about fees up front so we're on the same page. Don't just ask about fees, I want to know the bottom dollar cost so I know how much I'll have to pay and what for. Makes them look it up but hey, phone call isn't going to cost me any more so I can wait.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Price sounds reasonable. It also sounds like they were intending to charge you for the service charge fee even if you only got the warranty work done.
IMHO, quality service means giving the entire story and the entire bottom line without the customer asking.
Anyone, including them, want to know everything (at least as best as possible) prior to starting the job. This is a reasonable expectation that any customer would expect.

You do what you want, but you should nicely tell your dealer service manager what happened and what you thought was going to happen.

Like anything, if you know the bottom line before the job is started, you know what to expect. When you get an invoice with add-on's after the fact, that is called misinformation.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hear how I look at it. Pay what dealer wants or do as much as you can by yourself. Most of the service work can be done at home with standard hand tools.

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
cost me $300 and I delivered it my self, but then again I had them grease the front jerk on the hidden shaft, raised the price as they said it was a pain in the:nunu:
What zerk on what shaft??:dunno::dunno:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Now I received the bill - the labor was $125, plus parts was $79.60 (I thought parts were high too, but it is what it is) - More than what she told me but still within reason of what she said. However, in addition to all of this, they hit me with a $55 service call fee on top of all this, so with tax, it comes to $274.40. I called them about the service fee since I was led to believe that they were coming out to perform the warranty work anyways, and that there wouldn't be any other fees.
JD Warranty does not cover transportation fees to take the tractor to the dealer or trip fees for a technician to travel to the tractor. Some dealers offer that as a courtesy to their customers, but it is not JD standard. The service call/ trip fee is normal.

For an hour's labor, $125 isn't unreasonable. The hourly rate may actually be a little less than that and they may have had a little over an hour in the job.

Parts cost also seems reasonable. HyGuard hydraulic oil is around $10 a gallon from my dealer, then when you figure in filters that may be needed it could easily cost $80.

I wouldn't say you were ripped off, but I'm like Levi and always ask for the specifics up front. As a tech, I also try and explain this stuff to the client up front just so there aren't any surprises when they get the invoice.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I had the water hydrant in the garage freeze up last winter. Wife complained every time she wanted to water her flowers. So I called the plumber, not the plumbing company. He shows up as promised 3-4 hours later, replaces hydrant and leaves. Three hours later his one crimped connection is leaking a drop a second, BIG wet spot on the floor, I turn off the supply valve to the hydrant. Next day I call the company and 2 hours later the plumber shows up, completely replumbs the hydrant and solders the connections. The hydrant was available for $30-$35 on-line, I gladly paid for the first visit, was an hour long. I expected a bill of $200-$250. I about pooped when I opened the bill totalling almost $450! I called the office again, we went thru the bill line by line and the accounts receivable girl said she'd have her boss call me back. Half hour later she called back, Her boss wouldn't talk to me, and I was VERY nice to her, and she asked if I was O-K with a $275 bill. I said a $225 would be better so we split the difference at $250. Never calling THEM again. NOBODY mentioned the fact they charged $250 plus milage and time to and from the job and had a list price plus 35% markup on parts and supplies. The double charge to&from the charge explains the shiney new Ford Transit van with custom lettering.

Anyhow, my point is call the dealer, talk to accounts receivable or the service manager and explain how you feel, calmly explain what you feel a fair charge would be and that none of the extra service charges were mentioned and no formal quote or estimate was given. The Uniform Commercial Code says the Last piece of paper WINS, but in this situation, with no written quote or estimate and no verbal communication, any court of law would side with the customer. If the dealer "Always charges a $55 service charge" it better be on some paperwork given to you the customer before the invoice and specifically brought to your attention before work is started. And I agree with your idea that if the service call for warrantee work was no charge, the hydro service should be included as a No charge. If Deere is paying for the dealer to send a tech to fix your tractor why should you pay too?!?!?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
JD Warranty does not cover transportation fees to take the tractor to the dealer....
Don't know about anyone else's, but my "John Deere Extended Warranty" DOES cover transport. I know this because I had to "educate" my dealer on that very fine print subject. Makes it worthwhile for my circumstances. You pay for original warranty transport and I guess they figger "nothing will ever go wrong again" after they get you when machine is new.:laugh:

Reactions: TJR345 and bob

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
A warranty expires at the end of a certain time period or hours.
They sell service contracts for coverage after that. It's like auto insurance that covers mechanical problems. You definitely have to read & understand all the fine print. Don't just take some financing guys word. They usually don't even understand all the ins and outs.
Usually there is some kind of deductible involved. They also generally don't cover everything a warranty will.
However some do cover towing in rentals.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Its unfortunate but the price is about what I paid here in Michigan. I Paid about $200 for the 50 Hour service. As for the transportation fee I was lucky to already know there would be a charge by not only JD but most if not all dealers even if warranty work.

Time to chalk it off as another lesson learned -

Reactions: Ray_PA

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
According to the attached 2016 JD warranty policy, and past years also, they does not pay for service call labor or mileage. So, if your dealer provides service, for warranty work, at your location, they are covering the cost of the service call labor and mileage. I know there are dealers that do provide the "service call" on their dime for warranty work, although, this cost is not covered by JD.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Well you just have to put things into perspective.If you don't have the tools you have to buy them,and get the tech manual.If you want to move it you have to buy a trailer and register it every year.So lets say you have most of the tools (most people do) but shot on some metric stuff say $100,tech book about $100.Trailer about $2500-3500 so will go with 3000 So at $3,200 your set to take care of it yourself.How many trips to the dealer is $3,000 at $55 and though you have the tools and book what price do you put on experance and know how.
I agree they should have told you the total service fee but if they do Ag work also it is common to do work in the field and farmers know that service fee.For the person scheduling the work, they may have took it as common knowledge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts