Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the 50 hour service today and I have a couple of questions. I first put 12 quarts in and nothing on the dip stick. Kept adding oil until i got to almost 15 quarts before it was to the full mark on the stick. Based on what I've read here I didn't expect it to take that much oil. Does this sound right? After service everything worked as it should. I did lower the autoconnect to get to the filter and now when raising the arms I hear a bit of a noise that wasn't here before but it seems to work as it should though. Thoughts?

Steve

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Mine took more than what was stated in the manual too. First time I did it, I kept adding a little until it was within the proper range, than after running the rig and letting it settle, it was a bit too high. Learned from posts on the forum, to let the fluid settle awhile than take reading. It comes up quick when adding small amounts in the end. I do the trans fluid, filter and screen first now. I let it drain awhile with the trans filter off, the fill cap off and the dipstick pulled. I do the front axle next and put two Tupperware containers under each side and let that drain awhile too while I do the engine oil (rig run and warmed up before I start the service so engine oil runs out easier). By that time, trans is drained and I refill. I let the trans oil settle and fill the front axle and let all the HyGuard settle while I grease, lube the SCV change air filters, both fuel filters, tire air pressure, lube three point etc. then I go back and check trans level and front axle level and add a touch if necessary, let it settle awhile while going over rig and check it again after it settles. You will learn real quick. Draining a bit out is an unnecessary PITA but after doing it once, I learned quickly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine took more than what was stated in the manual too. First time I did it, I kept adding a little until it was within the proper range, than after running the rig and letting it settle, it was a bit too high. Learned from posts on the forum, to let the fluid settle awhile than take reading. It comes up quick when adding small amounts in the end. I do the trans fluid, filter and screen first now. I let it drain awhile with the trans filter off, the fill cap off and the dipstick pulled. I do the front axle next and put two Tupperware containers under each side and let that drain awhile too while I do the engine oil (rig run and warmed up before I start the service so engine oil runs out easier). By that time, trans is drained and I refill. I let the trans oil settle and fill the front axle and let all the HyGuard settle while I grease, lube the SCV change air filters, both fuel filters, tire air pressure, lube three point etc. then I go back and check trans level and front axle level and add a touch if necessary, let it settle awhile while going over rig and check it again after it settles. You will learn real quick. Draining a bit out is an unnecessary PITA but after doing it once, I learned quickly.

Thanks for the reply Firemark. With this in mind I went out first thing this morning and checked the level and it was dead on the money, exactly at the full mark. I haven't operated the tractor since the service other than to put it back out in the barn so I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Steve

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
You'll be fine. Dont over think the amount they call for. Add until full, make a mental note or a note in your OM and go ftom there. Most fill specs are based on volumes rather that actual right to the ounce. I always stop way short and add lil by lil til full.
Bottom line.. Buy a lil extra to make sure ya have enough and dont sweat it. Rock on.. DIY..

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts