Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 1025R just reached 50 hours and I changed everything! Brought up some questions for y'all. The transaxle oil came out with what looked like brass dust. Not a lot just a layer on the bottom of the drain pan. The filter screen didn't have any brass on it though, just a little bit of metal shavings and the magnet had the typical dust on it. I cut open the filter and it didn't have any brass either. Is it normal to get brass out on the first service?
The front axle is what worried me! The oil had a heavy metallic look to it, more out of the hubs than the differential. The manual stated 3 quarts of oil, when I got to 2 1/2 it ran over because it's full to the top! How much oil are you guys putting back when servicing the front axle? And is it normal for the oil to look metallic on the first change? I'll change it again in another 50 hours and see what it looks like. I'm sure if I ask my dealer this will all be normal according to them! Would like to know what everyone else is seeing.
James

·
Super Moderator
2,589 Posts
I've done my trans and ft axle twice. The trans came out golden color... small amount of gray dust on the magnet but no brass colored shavings. Not sure what that could be. Haven't heard of anyone mentioning that before.

As for the front axle, both times the fluid out of the axle had a greenish-gray hue, and the hubs were more grayish than the axle. Both times it had about 200 hrs on the oil, so when the second time came out looking like the first I wasn't surprised nor concerned. There aren't any leaks or odd noises, everything works fine, so I chalked it up to the way it must be.

The front axle does take 3 qts but it takes time for the oil to seep into the hubs. I put in 2 qts then give it about an hour, then put in the 3rd quart. Also, there are vent plugs on top of the hubs. I don't remember the size, but it's around 4-6mm hex key (Allen wrench). Removing those lets the air escape better as the oil seeps into the hubs. #20 in this picture.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Keep an eye on the hub vents when filling. I didn't realize it, but the vents are lower than the fill port in the center section. I was adding fluid to the center axle slowly so it wouldn't overflow and didn't pay attention to the open hub vent. When I finally did look over at the vent, fluid was coming out, running down the hub and collecting in a puddle on the floor. I only lost a quarter cup or so but it was a mess to clean up.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I am excited only 24 more hours until I get to do my not recommended in the manual 50HR maintenance. Great info.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done my trans and ft axle twice. The trans came out golden color... small amount of gray dust on the magnet but no brass colored shavings. Not sure what that could be. Haven't heard of anyone mentioning that before.

As for the front axle, both times the fluid out of the axle had a greenish-gray hue, and the hubs were more grayish than the axle. Both times it had about 200 hrs on the oil, so when the second time came out looking like the first I wasn't surprised nor concerned. There aren't any leaks or odd noises, everything works fine, so I chalked it up to the way it must be.

The front axle does take 3 qts but it takes time for the oil to seep into the hubs. I put in 2 qts then give it about an hour, then put in the 3rd quart. Also, there are vent plugs on top of the hubs. I don't remember the size, but it's around 4-6mm hex key (Allen wrench). Removing those lets the air escape better as the oil seeps into the hubs. #20 in this picture.

View attachment 748938
Thanks for the reply! I know some metal will come out after break in, but I've never seen that much out of a car or big truck and I do this for a living. I read in the manual about waiting an hour but after 30 minutes it was still high. I just parked it yesterday when I finished with it. I'll check it again today. Didn't know about the vents though.
James

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John Deere should really mention the vent screws in the manual. After sitting over night it still showed an inch over the full mark. I removed both vent screws, put the last half quart in and now its right on the full mark. Makes me wonder if it was full from the dealer!
James

·
Premium Member
13,037 Posts
John Deere should really mention the vent screws in the manual. After sitting over night it still showed an inch over the full mark. I removed both vent screws, put the last half quart in and now its right on the full mark. Makes me wonder if it was full from the dealer!
James
They do. See below.

LV27365-UN: Dipstick, Vent Plug, and Drain Plug
LEGEND:
A - Dipstick
B - Vent Plug

• Remove dipstick (A) on the right side of the front axle and vent plug (B).
  • Add approximately 2.8 L (3.0 qt) of recommended oil through dipstick fill opening until oil level is correct.

• Install and tighten the dipstick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts