Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the new 50" Wicked Root Grapple from EA? Quality/fit/finish etc. Looks like the perfect size for my 2520.

·
Administrator
18,318 Posts
Nothing here that I can remember, but plenty on TBN, all good.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is the one the guys on here told me did not exsist 3 weeks ago. I ordered one for my 2520 should be here next week. I have mountians of trash and blown down trees and brush to deal with over the next few months. I plan to spend 20 25 hrs a week over the next few months cleaning up a property I just bought. I will post my review when I get it and after I have used it a little.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same here. A lot of trees blown down from the past winter, brush, thorns, etc. I put a mechanical thumb on my little Kubota excavator to pluck out nasty thorn bushes, but need something to cart them away with. Can't wait to see the grapple on my 2520. Maybe a little green paint on it too.:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday. Its sitting on my freinds dock waiting for me to pick it up. I was going to load the tractor and take the whole rig to the hydro shop right away. When I went to load the tractor one of my trailer tires was flat. The tire had some
bald spots on it like the brake was locking up. I guess I will get the grapple and measure for the hoses and make a few trips. The hydro shop is about 20 miles away. Now I need to get some new tires and a brake controller too I guess. I have about 4 properties that I am working on all about 2-3 miles apart. I need to be able to haul the rig around. Its the main reason I bought the 2520 in stead of a 3x20.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I picked up my 50" grapple yesterday. Its mounted on the loader now. I still have to plumb the lid cylinder. The fit and finish looks great. The welding is excellent IMO and I am a certified welder. There is a little splatter but this is an implement not a car fender. Everything lines up and is square. The lid pin is greasable in 2 spots. The tie rod cylinder ends are greasable. I have one major concern. Where the top mounts to the loader arms both my bucket and fork rack have a bent plate making conntact with the full width of the loader arm bracket. The grapple has just 2 3/8 plate mounted vertical on each side. What this means is all the weight of the grapple and load ride on those 4 3/8 points vs the full aprox 4" width per side like the other attachments. I know picture tells the story, never done a picture. The bottom line all down force is on 1.5 inches of metal vs 8 inches like the other units. I really see this as a problem over time. I know they push the universal mount and they cater to orange machines simply because there are more of them out there. I have seen where you can buy those hooks, I will call them. I am going to contact them with my concern. Really cannot do a fair review without putting this into action. Other than the missing hooks I am a happy camper so far.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've seen several manufacturer's attachments that use hooks like that, I never really liked them either. I've always enjoyed Ted from ETA's videos, but there were a few things he said about that grapple when it was introduced that turned me off. My feeling is that he's a better salesman than an engineer. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, but I expect he'll have a good salesman type answer as to why they used inferior hooks.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,318 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
THANKS for pointing out those "hooks". I don't like it either. It's definitely something to consider when I'm looking for a grapple.

I'm not an engineer, but I would think that "full coverage" would be better. If one of those attachment points bends, then you could be down to the weight being on just three points instead of four. Again, it's one of those things where they're saving a few bucks in order to lower the price.

I just wish Artillian would release their grapple!! I'm really anxious to see what it's going to look like.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it's too late for me, I've already ordered it. I did watch the EA video using the grapple. Seemed to work ok with what they doing with it, and honestly, my jobs will probably smaller than what they were doing. Could probably have a friend beef up the mounts with some more metal if I think it needs it. After all, it is the lightest grapple I've found for the 200CX loader, and that was one of my biggest reasons for buying it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I emailed EA with my concerns. I have not heard anything back. I guess it is a holiday weekend for some folks. I will beef this up myself with or without the manufacturers help. I did get the grapple plumbed up tonight. It was dark when I got it working. I went out and did some testing with the tractor lights. I could pickup a concrete block with ease. I even picked up one of the dogs old toys i found in the yard. I wonder what the force of the jaw is. Its quite a lot, you would not want a body part pinched in there. With the exception of the mounting system I think this is a great tool. Sunday I will take it over to the new property and give it a good workout. I have the BB on the tractor and full of crushed limestone. Between the grapple, the bucket, and my 42" forks I should be able to sort and move a lot of material with the Mighty Mouse.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I emailed EA with my concerns. I have not heard anything back. I guess it is a holiday weekend for some folks. I will beef this up myself with or without the manufacturers help. I did get the grapple plumbed up tonight. It was dark when I got it working. I went out and did some testing with the tractor lights. I could pickup a concrete block with ease. I even picked up one of the dogs old toys i found in the yard. I wonder what the force of the jaw is. Its quite a lot, you would not want a body part pinched in there. With the exception of the mounting system I think this is a great tool. Sunday I will take it over to the new property and give it a good workout. I have the BB on the tractor and full of crushed limestone. Between the grapple, the bucket, and my 42" forks I should be able to sort and move a lot of material with the Mighty Mouse.
Would really like to see some pics!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From: Rick Rinehardt <[email protected]> [Add to Address Book]
To: Ronster

It was used to its maximum ability, and pushed beyond limits, with the Bobcat Tractor in the video, he couldn’t tear it up, and tried… no problem for a small JD 200cx series loader at all… Thanks,

Rick Rinehardt, Everything Attachments 866-581-5818 or 828-464-1200

I just noticed this review of the grapple I ordered. I'm a little concerned. Is there a limit on this unit as far as recommended weight / warranty is concerned. Thanks.

Here's the note I sent EA. They got back to me the next day.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I guess in a nutshell they figure it may not be the strongest design for the mounting hooks, but it is likely much stronger than you would need for the abilities of a smaller tractor.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm not an engineer, but I would think that "full coverage" would be better. If one of those attachment points bends, then you could be down to the weight being on just three points instead of four. Again, it's one of those things where they're saving a few bucks in order to lower the price.
You will never bend just one hook, that'd be nearly impossible unless it's not mounted properly. It may be possible to bend both on one side, but IMO they will never bend. I'd be more concerned about wear. You may not think they are prone to wear because they don't move, but there's enough movement there to wear them out. The full width factory hooks on my 400CX bucket are severely worn in less than 600 hours. Not bent, but worn out.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I agree with Interceptor. The small contact area may tend to wear even more quickly than the full width bracket or hook. I would think some type of lube would help out with the wear.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts