Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my JD 4400 HST with 2700 hours. Now with my previous issues with botched electrical repairs I would say it’s a good running tractor. Runs smooth, everything does what it should. As a mechanic generally the first thing I do to anything mechanical is change fluids and filters, no mater how they look or what has been told to me. Its always been a good practice to one, reset your service intervals. Two get an idea of how your equipment has been maintained and three, know you’ve got the right stuff in there. As a mechanic I really have a hard time paying someone else to do the work I can do. At the same time I’ve got two small kids, work and managing the building of our new house. So what it’s really going to boil down to is cost. What can I expect to pay when I take my tractor to the dealership and tell them to do a 500 hour service? I would value my time pretty high these days but after buying some parts I realize so does John Deere. Anyone have ballpark ideas for me so I don’t stoke out when they tell me?

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I recently bought my JD 4400 HST with 2700 hours. Now with my previous issues with botched electrical repairs I would say it’s a good running tractor. Runs smooth, everything does what it should. As a mechanic generally the first thing I do to anything mechanical is change fluids and filters, no mater how they look or what has been told to me. Its always been a good practice to one, reset your service intervals. Two get an idea of how your equipment has been maintained and three, know you’ve got the right stuff in there. As a mechanic I really have a hard time paying someone else to do the work I can do. At the same time I’ve got two small kids, work and managing the building of our new house. So what it’s really going to boil down to is cost. What can I expect to pay when I take my tractor to the dealership and tell them to do a 500 hour service? I would value my time pretty high these days but after buying some parts I realize so does John Deere. Anyone have ballpark ideas for me so I don’t stoke out when they tell me?
Hey Sailor,

I bought a 4044M a few months ago that wasn’t working 100% and the questions re Maintance I asked the owner were not answered well. So I did the 600 hrs maintenance that was not due for the same reasons you stated. I never called the JD dealership as I have not had great service from the one in the Houston area and when I priced a new one out they had a service priced in the quote, think it was a 100 hour, and it was something around $700 or $800. So I didnt even consider it.

I ordered the filter pack for my tractor, only missed the internal air filter, on line with a discount and bought the oil from Tractor supply. It didn’t take long at all and I was able to do an inspection as well as grease and clean the entire tractor. I felt like I had a better idea of the condition of the tractor when it was completed.

What your time is worth and the cost of taking it to the dealer is something I think you can only answer. All I can say is I was glad to do it myself and it sounds like you should be able to complete this service in your sleep.

Steve

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
$700-800??

For fluids and filters?

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I know it’s right about $400 for me to service my 4720 doing all the work myself, and it takes a few hours, so I can believe the 700-800 from a dealer.
Plus they have to deal with the used oil by storing it and getting it to a recycler. The recycler probably comes to them, but I’m sure there’s a charge for it.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I know it’s right about $400 for me to service my 4720 doing all the work myself, and it takes a few hours, so I can believe the 700-800 from a dealer.
Is that engine oil & filter, hydro oil and filter, and air filters? Anything else?
That seems awful high, i thought the 100hr service on my 1025r was like $100 or so. And $30 was the stupid proprietary hydro filter, I don't know how they get away with THAT crap...
Which is a smaller tractor but damn, $400 is a lot!

Reactions: Stevo3556

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Is that engine oil & filter, hydro oil and filter, and air filters? Anything else?
That seems awful high, i thought the 100hr service on my 1025r was like $100 or so. And $30 was the stupid proprietary hydro filter, I don't know how they get away with THAT crap...
Which is a smaller tractor but damn, $400 is a lot!
That’s pretty much it. I do use the 0-40 synthetic oil, but otherwise, 10 gal of low vis Hygard for the tranny, another gallon and a half for the front axle, 2 gallons of engine oil, inner and outer air filter, hydro filter, engine oil filter, fuel filter.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
$700-800??

For fluids and filters?
Sorry for the late reply, have been trimming trees, mowing, ect.

Just looked up my quote for a new 4044M and they added a 100 hour/annual service within 40 miles of the dealership and it was $799. They were very good about taking it off and still having the best deal on a new JD by far.

Steve

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
Be careful if you have the dealer change the tranny fluid. When they did mine, they used the bulk regular vis fluid and it has squealed ever since. I would not have them do it again unless they can assure me that they will use the low vis.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.