Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on how easy/hard it would be to move a compressor weighing +/- 500lbs down into the basement? And more importantly...in a year or so (hopefully less) when I build my shop, pull it out of the basement and put it in the shop.

Any special tools make the job easier?

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
:think: You mean up and down stairs?

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Dave,
A few guys and a good moving cart meant for stairs will make that an easy job. I have moved heavier gun safes around with no issue. Be safe and stay out of it path incase it slips.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
Me and two (strong) friends carried my AC (80 gallon 2-stage) down the basement steps a few years ago. I don't know the weight though-but it was very top heavy. I do not look forward to the day when it has to come out, but if it does I would probably take it apart first!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool...thanks Brian....prolly schedule a time to get the boys together and muscle it down. Was also thinking from a safety perspective to strap it to the 3520..use the 3520 to control the rate of decent down the steps.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Cool...thanks Brian....prolly schedule a time to get the boys together and muscle it down. Was also thinking from a safety perspective to strap it to the 3520..use the 3520 to control the rate of decent down the steps.
Now you're thinkin'.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not look forward to the day when it has to come out, but if it does I would probably take it apart first!
VERY Good idea...I like that one in combination with Brians...I bet the motor & pump add alot of weight, and as you mention, Top heavy weight.

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
I forgot to mention that I took my lathe and POS mill into the basement also, both 500+ pounds. You can lay 2x4's on the steps to make runners for the compressor to slide on-that worked great for the lathe and mill and I will do it again for the new Bridgeport when it get's here, but the fact that the compressor is so top heavy makes that option very risky.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any ideas on how easy/hard it would be to move a compressor weighing +/- 500lbs down into the basement? And more importantly...in a year or so (hopefully less) when I build my shop, pull it out of the basement and put it in the shop.

Any special tools make the job easier?
Try filling it with helium first!!:lol: Sorry I was just trying to think of ways to make it lighter for you!!.

On a more serious note you could get a winch to hook up to a dolly or cart and that way the winch does the heavy living/pulling for you and you just have to guide it then.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I use an incline plane, the grade around the house. Got the milling machine in through the double doors, used dowels to roll it to the metal shop.

But this solution won't work for everyone :mocking:...

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
Is it out of the question to buy a cheap garden shed from HD to keep it in for a year and run a line into the basement?

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Is it out of the question to buy a cheap garden shed from HD to keep it in for a year and run a line into the basement?
I like this idea the best, especially if the shed can moved and converted into a fuel storage shed or other storage solution later.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes & No...I've already got 2 outbuildings...one a permanent Garden Shed (12x16) and the other a 12x20 Tarp Garage for the ol 3520. Technically I wouldnt even need to build one, but my concern about that is keeping it outdoors here in Maine means I'll only be able to use the compressor from April->November. My FIL keeps his in a unheated garage and on colder days if he needs it he has to warm it up with his Knipco first.. And then the moisture issues that comes along with that..
What it really boils down to is I have a $1k gift card to use at TSC....Rather not buy tons of small junk...when I get gifts like that I usually buy something big and call it good. Otherwise I would just wait till I have my shop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.