Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
I merely clarified my calculations WHICH I THINK are meaningful to your original question. My replies may not benefit you but might benefit other people that read these threads.
Bolding mine ... The true value of this forum is the collective wisdom given without charge to other people. That's why when someone posts a problem, the forum responds. Original poster may be helped... yet if OP never provides feedback... then future reader loses ...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi,
I inherited a 2012 5045E. It's a great low hour tractor. I want to buy a Woods batwing. It requires 34hp at the PTO. This tractor produces 37hp at the PTO. I know enough to know that it won't work pulling up hills where I live (unless I crawl).

I wonder if anyone has had success tuning it to increase the HP? I think an extra 15hp would work.
The 2012 5045E uses a mechanically injected turbocharged 2.9 L 3 cylinder engine. The parts lists have about a dozen different listings for "engine" so it is unclear if there are any differences in parts for your year 5045E vs. 5055E, 5065E, 5075E or if the performance increases are simply by increasing the fueling rate as set by a screw on the injector pump or with turbocharger wastegate settings, if equipped. It is unclear if there is a wastegate on a Tier II 5045E's turbocharger, I did not see one listed separately from the turbo as they do with later models, and if there is in fact one integrated with the turbocharger, one could only guess if it is adjustable.

The best guesstimate is that the 5045E, being a nominally 50 HP rated engine, actually makes around 44-45 HP at the PTO than the 37 that it is officially rated at. Nebraska didn't test that year of tractor but they tested the predecessor, the later 5103, which was rated at 50 HP and had a similar if not identical engine setup to the 2012 5045E. It made 44 HP at the PTO at rated PTO speed and 46 peak PTO HP, which is about what you would assume for a 50 HP rated engine as driveline losses are generally <10% for a modern tractor. Deere has been known to significantly underrate the PTO horsepower on the later turbocharged 3 cylinder tractors as evidenced by the universally noticeably higher than rated PTO power numbers on the models that Nebraska did test.

A batwing weighs in two ton range, and it's on wheels, which should not be that big of a deal for a 5045E to physically pull up hills that are safe to operate the batwing on. The real work is in spinning the blades, which can take a lot of power. How much power you need depends on the size of batwing, what you are cutting, and how fast you want to cut it. The general rule of thumb is 5 engine HP per foot of cutter for "average" work, around 7 HP/foot for head-high brambles, and 3-4 engine HP per foot for light duty work like pasture clipping the sparse clumps of weeds that the cattle didn't eat. Also realize that rotary cutters need to dwell over a spot for long enough to suck up and shred the debris and then spit it out, or they do a rotten job. You will either just knock material and drive over it, leaving it largely uncut or you will plug up the mower as you are feeding material into it faster than it can spit it out. How fast you can go is directly correlated with how much material you are running through the cutter but in general you can't exceed about 5 MPH in even light conditions.

·
Registered
717 Posts
As stated above the 2012 has the traditional injector pump and no turbo. I've heard of people having their injector pump "turned up" ( not "tuned") and getting much better power out of it but I do NOT have any first hand experience with this. A shop that rebuilds injector pumps might be able to do this by adjusting the "fuel rate" like MO1 said above.

·
Registered
813 Posts
As stated above the 2012 has the traditional injector pump and no turbo. I've heard of people having their injector pump "turned up" ( not "tuned") and getting much better power out of it but I do NOT have any first hand experience with this. A shop that rebuilds injector pumps might be able to do this by adjusting the "fuel rate" like MO1 said above.
The 2012 5045E most certainly is a Turbocharged engine.
It's shown as a turbocharged engine in the sales brochure for the 2012 5D -5E - 5E Limited Tractors on page 18.

·
Registered
813 Posts
How would you like to be a parts man at a J D Dealership? I have a good friend who is and he says it's become a nightmare the last few years.
Without the VIN. you are dead in the water and even then it's still tough.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I worked on/off in JD dealer parts dept from '65-'87. I can't imagine the added difficulty with all the different models of today. I have difficulty understanding the need for so many different models in the identical horsepower categories. After all there's only a limited number of ways one can change options

·
Registered
813 Posts
I worked on/off in JD dealer parts dept from '65-'87. I can't imagine the added difficulty with all the different models of today. I have difficulty understanding the need for so many different models in the identical horsepower categories. After all there's only a limited number of ways one can change options
A lot of the different engines were made for import into different countries. Then you have the EPA sticking their noses in from time to time.
It would be easier if JD had parts listings for destination USA only for us over here. I couldn't care less how the engine was built for another country..

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
The photo I posted earlier showing 10 different engine configurations was for tractors sold in N America not the World.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The photo I posted earlier showing 10 different engine configurations was for tractors sold in N America not the World.
Correct but they also list engines for other countries as well. I have no idea what the difference is other than probably the emissions. Canada and Mexico might be different too..

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm going away for the weekend but will be going over to my friend's house the first of the week. I'll ask him what exactly he did to his engine to convert it to the 5065 specs. He'll know.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts